RAAF may halve F-35 purchase

Grippen

This is an incredibly common misspelling. It's called "Gripen". A search on ARC turns up three pages of hits on "Grippen". For a swede it looks very strange, as the pronunciation changes completely. :(

Not picking on you, Trigger74, it's just an observation. I haven't seen many "Rapptors" or "Vippers", for instance. Maybe it's because the SAAB predecessor was "Viggen"?

:(-->

QUOTE(Henrik B @ Jan 16 2006, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is an incredibly common misspelling. It's called "Gripen". A search on ARC turns up three pages of hits on "Grippen". For a swede it looks very strange, as the pronunciation changes completely. :woo:

Not picking on you, Trigger74, it's just an observation. I haven't seen many "Rapptors" or "Vippers", for instance. Maybe it's because the SAAB predecessor was "Viggen"?

I can only guess, but I heard many people pronouncing it "Grip-pen" This might lead to the use of "pp" insteat of a single "p"

D'OH!!! I messed up! It's Swedish for Griffin, yes? I think that's why I gave it two p's. I have friends in Stockholm and if they knew I screwed up like that.... Man, I know beter than that! :cheers:

Edited by Trigger74

Oh, I wouldn't call it anything else but Gripen! Every time I see that SAAB commercial where 5 or 6 of 'em fly alongside one of their cars, I can't help but say "Gripen!" in my best Swedish accent.

maybe we should just buy Gripens. That way we'd have a real Gripon capability and cost.

Ah, a single engine airplane that gives you less range and capibilites then the F-35, but for sure the price is right :D

Regards

Jim Barr