The HELL of building this B29

Very, very nice. Did you rescribe the beast?

You've also done an excellent job blending the cockpit glass with the fuselage. This area is often the biggest let down on most finished Monogram B-29's that I've seen. How'd you manage it without loosing the rivet detail?

Cheers,

Tony

Very, very nice. Did you rescribe the beast?

You've also done an excellent job blending the cockpit glass with the fuselage. This area is often the biggest let down on most finished Monogram B-29's that I've seen. How'd you manage it without loosing the rivet detail?

Cheers,

Tony

It was (I kid you not), a three day process. I first placed the corner of the glass into the model. I started on the copilot side. By using a fair bit of Tamiya Thin and letting it melt the plastic, I worked the glass back and forth a little, the most important aspect is making sure it is flush with the body height (I can fix gaps later, although there was only one small gap that had to be filled in, in the end). By doing a one-side corner first, there is no stress on the clear piece. I let that dry overnight. The next day I worked the centre portion of the glass into position the same way. Let dry over night. The big problem is the port side now, because all the stress is on that side. Glue, melt, wiggle, glue, melt, wiggle, glue, melt, wiggle... CLAMP! dry overnight.

PS. Say... you aren't THE Tony Bell are you? (Hornet Hobbies area?) Cause if you are, I would gladly crush all my builds if you would give me a few hours of your time and show me how the hell you do it. Your kits are unbelievable.

Edited by Miccara

Sorry I forgot to answer the first part of your question...

No, I didn't rescribe it. Feel kinda guilty about that though.

But I'm building it for a friend who wouldn't notice the difference anyway. Besides, I riveted the stupid thing for him.

PS. Say... you aren't THE Tony Bell are you? (Hornet Hobbies area?) Cause if you are, I would gladly crush all my builds if you would give me a few hours of your time and show me how the hell you do it. Your kits are unbelievable.

Guilty as charged! Although it's been a few weeks since I've been to Dave's shop...

If you're in the GTA you should consider heading out to the IPMS Toronto monthly meeting (if you don't already). It's coming up on Monday Jan 12 in the North Toronto Memorial Community Centre at 200 Eglinton Ave. West. I'd be glad to swap tips & techniques, and I'd love to see your B-29 in person.

Feel free to drop me a line at Tony.Bell@mdacorporation.com.

Cheers,

Tony

What do did you use as a base coat for the Alclad?

Ed

I used the Alclad II Gloss Black Base... and I thinned it as suggested by some of the ARCers. It still sucks in my opinion. The Alclad Gloss Black NEVER dries no matter how long you leave it. This is the 6th or 7th time I've used it, verying the methods over the last 3-4 times. It's really a problem for me. The Black remains soft and tacky. An additional problem is that although you spray the Aluminum over it, and as we all know Alcad II aluminum is bulletproof, and you have an area where the Gloss black is just a little to thick then just handling the plane will crack the aluminum coat if you push on it too hard. I'm really frustrated with it.

I tried MM gloss black on the engine covers but wasn't that happy with the end result.

I used the Alclad II Gloss Black Base... and I thinned it as suggested by some of the ARCers. It still sucks in my opinion. The Alclad Gloss Black NEVER dries no matter how long you leave it. This is the 6th or 7th time I've used it, verying the methods over the last 3-4 times. It's really a problem for me. The Black remains soft and tacky. An additional problem is that although you spray the Aluminum over it, and as we all know Alcad II aluminum is bulletproof, and you have an area where the Gloss black is just a little to thick then just handling the plane will crack the aluminum coat if you push on it too hard. I'm really frustrated with it.

I tried MM gloss black on the engine covers but wasn't that happy with the end result.

What about Tamiyas spray Gloss Blac? Dries quick and is bullit proof as well.

Awesome bird by the way.

What about Tamiyas spray Gloss Blac? Dries quick and is bullit proof as well.

Awesome bird by the way.

I'm not 100% sure, but I thought you could only use alclad over a laquer/enamel base, and not over any acrylic.

I could be mistaken, though.

That is certainly a gorgeous build. I have had extremely good luck using Testors gloss white for a base and letting it dry about a week or two. It does dry and the alclad buffs out very very nicely.

Is that bird Testors Gloss white only, then Alclad Polished Aluminum over top? Because she sure looks great. I still have to paint the engine natcals, naticals, nachos (however the hell you spell it), and I'd like to try that on those pieces.

Larry