FMMF build begins!

Gunpowder,

Are you using the screws to join the upper and lower hull or is the centre rear engine vent just placed on for your pic? Also, are you planning on painting the inner parts of the mandibles (upper/lower) prior to joining the halves? I am at a similar stage in my build (without lighting).

Great job so far!

Im not sure about the whole screw idea. I havent used them yet, but i may do. Yes the rear vent is just resting on. I was thinking about painting the inner parts first but im still not sure. All lighting on this project is done with LEDS and fibre optics :blink:

I was originally planning on putting an LED straight into the headlight hole, but it was much smaller so i drilled a small hole in th elense and inserted a thick fibre. Heres a picture with the light off.

Nice looking build so far. Thanks for the update. My keyboard is awash from my drooling. My only comment about the kit would be that for the price of admission, Fine Molds should have included photo-etch for the engine screens. I've seen the studio model in person and it's a most obvious detail.

Randy

ITS ALIVE!!! :rofl:

Engine glow is in and is the last of the lighting. Looks very cool now. Cant wait to get it altogether and lit up in one go. Engine was made from Electroluminescent film.

Wow! Looking at your work and progress almost makes me want to start mine... I holding off because I heard a rumor that MMI is going to make PE grills for the engines and a few other nice additions. Where did you get the electroluminecent film, I think I want to get some to play with.

Thanks for the great pics, it's coming along famously!

The EL film came from ebay. It included an invertor. It was a little too small for the Falcon, but i had a damaged Force FX lightsaber at home so i took the EL sheet from that and cut it to size.

Very nice work. I've got a photoetch intake set (for the top intakes) from Millenia Models & the AMT kit. They make it look 100% better. I've trying to figure a way to make them work, but it'd be great if someone comes out with a set... I really like how you've added the lighting :lol:

George

Paint is on! :thumbsup:

Well at least the basics are on. I used a mixture of a small amount of Tamiya deck tan into a whole jar of Tamiya matt white. Looks nearly spot on to me! It gives it a warm off white kinda colour. It was airbrushed over matt black. Im aiming for the shading to do all of the work as i dont want to use a wash on the major parts. It doesnt seem as though the studio model has them so mine wont! The pictures really dont show up the shading etc too well. Added basic blaster marks and engine staining too. I am more than please so far.

Yes overall black. Heres some more photos of the wethering that has now been almost completed. I was going to paint the markings but ended up using the excellent kit decals instead.