Tamiya F-15E (1:32)

Hi guys. Well, this is a series of firsts for me. My first GB, my first time posting images of my work, and will be my first real jump into using a resin cockpit. I'm using this GB as a learning experience, hoping to pick up some new techniques from you folks.

So here is a shot of my current victim.

Brian

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All!

Wanted to give a quick update. Hope this doesn’t bore anyone. Nothing really photo worthy yet. The plan for this build has gotten much more ambitious (for me anyway B) ). While looking through the Squadron Walk Around book and browsing airliners.net, I found some pics of loaded Es sitting on the ramp with a number of Remove before Flight streamers. Something about these photos appealed to me.

Something like this:

My inspiration

So, Using the kit supplied streamers I am going to attempt to recreate my vision of these photos. I’m also going to try and scratch build FOD covers for both the intakes and engine nozzles. Again browsing airliners.net, I found this photo for Engine Covers.

Now, I have a pretty good idea how to make the engine covers, the intake covers on the other hand are in a little more grey area. I think I know how I am going to do it, but I’ll have to experiment a little with it.

I also want to make seeker head covers for the AIM-9s and LGBs. I think that a drinking straw will work for this. I found out that Meteor Productions sells some AIM-9 covers, but I want to make them instead of buying them. The pre-made ones will be a back up option.

The other piece to this puzzle is the AOA sensor covers. I have found some photos with what looks like a hard cover, not sure how to make that. I’ve been tossing some ideas around, but nothing really has jumped out. Any ideas? I’ve also seen some photos that have a “soft†cover that slips over the tip of the sensor…sort of like the cover for a pitot. I could do something like that too. I could use the insulation off some wire (I think). But I have found more photos with the “hard†cover than the soft cover…again, it’s all up in the air.

Using one of the How To articles here on ARC, I am also going to attempt the make a tarmac base for the plane to sit on.

My creative juices are really flowing. I’ve never attempted anything this big before. Not sure if I will have time or not, but I am going to give it my best shot. As long as I have the plane done by the deadline, I’ll consider it a partial victory. :D

As for progress on the plane itself, I have been working from back to front. I started sealing the rear fuselage last night. I’m working slowly trying to minimize the number of gaps and seams. I got one side glued last night. I’ll work on the other side tonight. Hopefully I can get the wings on before the weekend. If all goes well, I will start working the BB cockpit and forward fuselage parts (cutting a sanding….another part I’m worried about) this weekend.

Should be fun. I’ll try and get some pics posted of the completed rear fuselage assembly when it is done.

Thanks for letting me share!

Take Care!

Brian

canadian_camo, the airbrush is the Iwata HP-CR (Revolution). I've now used it and I love it!

Dave, Thanks for the tip! I just called Meteor Productions, unfortunately they are out of stock and they think the company went out of business. :thumbsup: Oh well, looks like something else for me to try and build myself. :cheers:

Brian

Dave, Thanks for the tip! I just called Meteor Productions, unfortunately they are out of stock and they think the company went out of business. <_< Oh well, looks like something else for me to try and build myself. :D

Contact TIGERJP here on ARC, he is the owner of PWMP

Finally have some progress to show. Now, a quick explanation on something...the rear instrument panel in my BB set was broken, so I am using the kit part. Second, the rear coaming is also the kit part...me being the knucklehead that I am, managed to mangle it pretty bad removing it from the pour stub.

First pic, a before and after shot of the work on the kit fuselage halves.

Brian

• 1 month later...

Holy smokes...have y'all ever had one of those stretches in life where everytime you turn around there is something else waiting to jump up and kick you in the crotch? I have been in one of those stretches. Whether it was a problem with my phone/DSL line, battery problems with my truck, and extremely busy stretch at work...hot project on top of hot project, or the newest, a water leak in my new house...February and March 2006 has been a bumpy ride. <_<

Needless to say, my time at the work bench has been extremely limited. I think, that since mid-February I have had a grand total of 15 minutes for building. I have not touched my F-15 since my last post above.

However, barring any unexpected hiccups, I look to be caught up enough with real life that I can get some building done. Yay! After catching up on the postings here on ARC, my drive to get back to building has really kicked in. While I may have to scale back some of my plans for the build, I hope to at least be able to have the plane built by the deadline. I can always add the "extras" later.

Anyway, just wanted to dig the thread up...keep posting those update pics everyone, they really help keep my motivation levels up!

Now, where is the can of primer...

Take Care, everyone! :lol:

Brian

Edited by Bucky Katt

Brian, the Beagle is looking good! I hear ya on the unexpected things that keep you away from the bench. Almost to the priming stage on my F-15J, but have to pack up my bench for my upcoming move back to Austin,Tx (Yeah! It will be good to get back to Texas!!)

• 4 months later...