Revell 1/72 F-15E

This will be my first entry. I haven´t done more than fishing the box out of my stash and placing it on my work table.

Fact is that I have promised myself not to start this one until I have finished one of my current projects (F-16N, Boeing 747-400, F/A-18F).

I haven´t decided yet which markings to use on this one, the kit ones or order some decal sheet. Does anyone know if there is anything for the Euro-1 Beagles out there?

I´ll get back to this thread as soon as I have some updates!

/Kristian

• 3 months later...

After ages since I first wrote this thread it is now time to show that I´ve actually been doing something!

Starting from the pit: I wanted to try another way to paint cockpits. After spraying everything with dark gull gray I masked off all the panels and air-brushed with black. Quite a tedious procedure but I like the effect. In the following two pictures you can see how it looked after painting with light gray the buttons, dry brushing and some Future to simulate glass.

IMG_0554_resize.jpg

IMG_0555_resize.jpg

Before closing the fwd fuselage I added the air hoses too. (I hope you can see something in the darkness of the pictures....)

IMG_0596_resize.jpg

IMG_0595_resize.jpg

Last mod on the cockpit area was to remove the handle on the aft coaming and replace it with some brass rod. I think it was well worth the job!

IMG_0601_resize.jpg

The aft fuselage is assembled. It took me quite a while to sand smooth with CA glue the seams between wings and fuselage, but at the end all went well. I plan to close the air intakes with either soft or hard covers, but I haven´t realy made my mind on that issue yet.

IMG_0597_resize.jpg

I am now working on the CFTs. What a painfully boring job! :thumbsup:

The long pilons wouldn´t fit well, so I had to add shimming with plastic strips and fill the remaining gaps. I hope it is ok now (will have to throw somempaint to check it). The short ones are quite Ok but I decided that the small stabilizer arms needed to be scratched. And you all know how many hard points a E-Eagle has! :thumbsup:

IMG_0603_resize.jpg

IMG_0598_resize.jpg

Finally I did some mods on the front wheel too. I wanted it to be slightly turned, so I cut it, drilled a hole to insert a brass wire to add some strength and then glued it back.

IMG_0599_resize.jpg

For the loadout I´ve decided to go for the following OIF#3(from www.f-15estrikeeagle.com):

oif_03.gif

Comments are as always welcome!

/Kristian

Edited by KRI76

Nice so far Krisitan, the extra time spent on masking the cockpit was worth it. That's the same loadout I used onn the OIF bird I finished last month for the Group Build.

Where did you get the cast metal pylons, I've never seen those before?

Thanks guys!

Ken: the two "ends" are simply two tiny pieces of plastic strip. Here´s how I did: first I rounded one end of a rod with the correct size; the I drilled a hole and finally I cut it to the desired length.

Volzj: they are from Czech Six (check HERE). They were very nice and allowed me to buy the pilons only instead of the whole kit with other godies that I didn´t need this time. :D

It was the first time I used white metal parts on a kit. Not the easiest thing I ever did! I don´t know if it was me that was unlucky, but as I said I had some fit issues that took me some time to solve. Other than that I think the detail on the pilons is very nice.

/Kristian

• 2 weeks later...

OK people! Some updates.

I´ve been working hard all week-end since I cannot go out and enjoy the beautiful weather due to a @#!!~¤ :cheers: flue that has kept me home the last week. Oh well....

Beside my freshly strated B-1B (see here if interested) I prepared my Strile Eagle for the paint shop. Here you have a couple of pictures showing the fuselage seconds before it will go and meet the paint. You should be able to see the modified arresting hook, the bulged wheel doors, the masked metal area (I used MM Metalizers - Steel on this one), the CFTs installed with their pylons and the slightly lowered ailerons.

IMG_0684_resize.jpg

IMG_0687_resize.jpg

Well, that´s it for now. I´m going to spray some paint now. There will be some new pics soon!

/Kristian

• 2 weeks later...

During the time the forum was off line I managed to do some work on my projects.

The Eagle has been painted, gloss coated with four brush painted layers of Future and decaled. Here you can see a couple of pics I just took. (If you think the fins aren´t vertical it´s because they are not. They are not glued yet, I just placed them on for the pics....)

Decals are from the Revell kit. They are not bad but they require tons of softener to lay down nicely.

IMG_0711_resize.jpg

IMG_0709_resize.jpg

Now I have to let everything dry properly before I can start the weathering process. I plan not to weather this one too heavily since from the pictures I have Strike Eagles are more often quite clean.

/Kristian

• 1 month later...

Ok. Last update before the finished bird can be posted. Here are 5 pictures for you to look at.

I am in the process of painting the two seats (resin from Pavla), weathering the nozzels and painting the canopy. THEN it will be finished! :thumbsup:

Sadly I have to report some bad silvering :thumbsup: (I used Revell decals), even though I put seven(!) layers of Future to have the glossiest finish so far (on my side - of course). It looked good until the flat coat went on, which highlighted the problems. I guess there isn´t much that I can do now, but if someone has some idea of how to avoid it in the future it would be nice!

Here are the pictures! As always feel free to comment!

IMG_0961_resize.jpg

IMG_0959_resize.jpg

IMG_0956_resize.jpg

IMG_0955_resize.jpg

IMG_0953_resize.jpg

/Kristian

Thank you guys for the very kind comments!!!

I am almost done with this one. Yesterday night I had a long session masking the canopy, adding the wing pilons with fuel tanks, AIM-120s and AIM-9s and working on the exhaust pipes. Next time you´ll see this one finished.

Speaking about the pylons: it was not easy to fit them in place due to interference with the bombs attached to the angled CFT pylons. I had no warnings for such a problem during the build, and I was afraid I could be forced to leave the tanks for another Eagle. But in the end, with some trimming, testing and small compromise it all went fine. The distance between all parts may not be realistic, but I think I can live with that.

Just remember that if you are going to build one Strike Eagle you may want to check this carefully!!

/Kristian

Here comes the pictures of the completed Strike Eagle! B) :cheers:

A very nice build of a great kit. If it weren´t for the decal silvering problem this could have been a very good result. :banana:

To resume shortly: I have detailed the cockpit a little adding the oxigen hoses, sobstituting the handle bar for the back-seater with a brass rod and using two Pavla resin seats.

I used Czeck Six white metal CFT Pylons and Hasegawa weapons (I don´t remember which set they come from).

The decals are instead from the kit.

I hope you´ll like these last pictures!

IMG_0986_resize.jpg

IMG_0988_resize.jpg

IMG_0985_resize.jpg

IMG_0984_resize.jpg

IMG_0982_resize.jpg

IMG_0981_resize.jpg

Some close up of the finished cockpit:

IMG_0980_resize.jpg

IMG_0979_resize.jpg

IMG_0978_resize.jpg

That´s all folks!!!

/Kristian

Thanks guys!

Phantom Phreak: I´m not sure I really got your question. The decals are from he kit and I think I placed them according to the instructions. Haven´t found any good pictures of the real thing so couldn´t check.

EagleDriver: the grey is MM enamel Gunship Grey. I added few drops of light ghost grey for desaturating it.

/Kristian