OV-10A PE in 1/48?

• 1 year later...

Holy thread ressurection, Batman!

Seriously though, I just shot some pics of an OV-10A up in Mesa, AZ and plan on doing it in 48th. I just got the kit, but other than Hannants, I can't find a source for the Paragon set here in the States. If I've gotta, I'll order from Hannants, but is there anywhere a bit more local that's got the A detail set?

Thanks guys!

Jon

I think I might be ale to come up with something, I have to check. If nothing else, I may have to scratch the four guns and ejection chutes. I remember the chutes were a seperate metal piece that fit into the sponson opening. They did not always flat but sometimes had a slight bend.

Missing Link has both a cockpit set and a detail set for $7 each. I'm very tempted, but I'm wondering if anyone's used them before? How's the casting and what does each set entail?

Thanks!

Jon

I'll have to pull mine out of storage to look at them. Remind me this weekend.

Missing Link has both a cockpit set and a detail set for $7 each. I'm very tempted, but I'm wondering if anyone's used them before? How's the casting and what does each set entail?

Thanks!

Jon

Me too!!!!! At $7.00 a pop!!!! Hope they are pretty decent.

I'll have to pull mine out of storage to look at them. Remind me this weekend.

Roger that. Things should get easier here after Thursday. Flying got pushed back another day cuz our bird broke last night...

Thanks bud!

Jon

Edited by Cobrahistorian
  • 2 months later...

Well, after three months, my Missing Link cockpit arrived!

It isn't the most state-of-the-art resin, but for the price, it is almost unbeatable! I used some extra bits and pieces from other resin sets to spruce up the main panel and have added some details (ejection handles, etc) to some of the cockpit, but it is a thousand percent improvement over the kit parts.

I also noticed while comparing the kit to my reference shots, that the kit is missing a second intake scoop above the main intake behind the prop spinner. I'm building a bird that flew in support of 1/9th Cav, 1st Cav Division in Vietnam and it clearly has TWO intakes above the prop, not the one shown in the kit.

So, now I'm building a second intake on top of each nacelle. The gear are coming along slowly and will be a while before they're done. Looks like I'm going to have to scratchbuild a completely new nose gear, since my original is nowhere to be seen. No worries though. I've got a lot of time into this kit already and I'm loving it!

P1010045-1.jpg

P1010049.jpg

P1010050.jpg

P1010051.jpg

Jon

Edited by Cobrahistorian

Looking pretty good, Jon.

But, if that set is suppose to be OOP, I wonder how they managed to get one for you? :o

I don't know if I wanna take a chance on ordering it and they're not gonna have it. :wacko:

I'll try and get in touch with you tomorrow. I found something yesterday that you might be interested in. :whistle: We'll have to see. :yahoo:

Edited by RCoulter52

Jon's right, it's not state-of-the-art, but it's pretty much the only game in town. IIRC this set is at least 15 years old, I've got one in the stash, that I bought when they first came out.

Jon also mentioned the additional intake needed for the engine, IIRC the Hawk kit (re-released by Testors) was for a prototype/preproduction aircraft. This partially explains the need for the additional intake on the cowling. There's other stuff that needs doing, most of it corrected by the Paragon set.

Those Paragon sets go for well over $50 on eBay. Tried for a few sets myself, but they went for well over my budget allowance. Anybody know what they're going for at Roll Models?

Edited by DonSS3
Don,

Roll Models doesn't have the Paragon sets, although they do have the detail and cockpit sets listed for Missing Link. I think Hannants has the Paragon stuff, but its gonna be real 'spensive!

Jon

NA Hobbies carries the Paragon set!

When I looked at the 'A' set it was $44.99. It's pretty extensive. Here's what you get with the set.

PAR48090.jpg

I'm not positive but, I believe the PE fret is for the wheel wells. I'm thinking seriously of trying to get one after the first of the year.

Here's the 'D' set if your interested. It sells for $49.99.

PAR48091.jpg

Here's one I did about 6 years ago using the Paragon set, posted on "that other site". I've got two more in the stash to do, both A models that I got from NA Hobbies at a swap meet a few years ago. The Paragon set is a must. It fixes some pretty big problems, most of which the spacing of the tail booms, which in the kit are too close together.

http://www.hyperscale.com/features/2001/ov10dmp_1.htm

Mike

• 5 weeks later...

I think there were two oaverall gray schemes, but I can't find my refs right now. I think one scheme was overall ADC Gray (FS 36495?) and the other was overall Gunship Gray (FS 36118).

I am willing to be corrected if I'm wrong.