who had the better Lysander

Airfix. I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with the Matchbox (its not a kit I ever had) except it is simplified compared with the Airfix, which was a completely new tool after their original 1957 attempt.

The Pavla will be an immense amount of more work, but does have the potential of being a better result in the end. How much do you want to do?

Matchbox is a decent kit and has a better wing attachment than Airfix if I recall. Airfix has more options like long range tank, ladder and of course the running trench coated spy with briefcase :P

:worship:

Bruce

and of course the running trench coated spy with briefcase :P

:banana:

Bruce

Which is the coolest thing ever molded in plastic, no?

I built that one about 8 years ago and still have it, but I was going to buy a second one for my Poles in RAF planes collection and wondered if the matchbox was any better.

To those who mentioned the Pavla kit; yes I'm well aware of it being better, but Im sure as hell it costs more than the $3.00 these two are going for :D

At $3.00 I'd go for either Matchbox or Airfix as Pavla's is not worth another $20 or $30. I had the Airfix kit and seem to recall it was pretty reasonable. That said, Falcon made their replacement canopy for the Matchbox kit, and their policy where choice of kit was available was to make the vac-from canopy for the kit they regarded as the best or most accurate, so maybe Matchbox is the way to go, but at $3.00 each I'd buy both.

Hiya,

I would say the Matchbox kit is better than the Airfix one. which looks too squat to me. Yes, it is over-simplified in some areas (you'll need to deal with the lack of landing lights on the wheel spats for starters) but it's cheap and with a little effort looks very nice.

The matchbox kit gives you the Persueus-engined Mk II. If you want a Mk I/III, Aeroclub do a nice resin/whitemetal Mercury engine and cowling which looks like it will fit nicely.

I also have the Pavla kit and while I haven't built it yet, reviews tend to agree it's a tricky build and it is pricey!

Cheers,

Mark.

• 13 years later...
  • 2 months later...