Eduard's 1/48 DH-2 (Profipack version), finally finished after 3 months of frustration. Not because it's a bad kit (it's a beautiful kit), I just kept stalling because of its complex nature. Next project will be a 1/72 tank, all green. The DH-2 should be appearing in article form in a future issue of Model Airplane International magazine.

030_Finished.jpg

033_Two.jpg

Nice! I have the 1/72 version in the stash.

Questions:

what did you rig her with? That elastic stuff?

What's the story on the aileron on the port, upper wing?

How'd you do the "see through" effect on the lower surface of the upper wing?

or do I have to buy that issue of Model Airplane International to find out? :D I probably will if I can find it out here in the sticks.

Oh my word. :D Very nice indeed. Rigging like that has to be my nightmare build!

Don't want to speak for Mike, but he describes his 'translucency' technique here:

http://hsfeatures.com/features04/bristolscoutmg_1.htm

If I'm not mistaken, that's the Scout in the background of pic #2. :P

Jason

Edited by Jason C-C

...Truly, an awesome result. Great work Mike, suggest Eduard use your model as a 'poster child' for this kit!! Incredible work.....!! :lol: I have been gazing at these pics for hours, and still dont know how you did some of the rigging...... :o Those ARE pulley blocks on the struts? Yikes....... :D I can't wait to see the magazine article.......... :wave:

Ummmmmmm I am speach less. Much rigging but the second photo that shows the ribs showing through the covering and the roundels on the top side of the wing is more than perfect. You have a show stopper there, not just a well done model. What are the wings covered in so you can see the ribs and roundels?

Thanks for all the positive comments!

Nice! I have the 1/72 version in the stash.

Questions:

what did you rig her with? That elastic stuff?

What's the story on the aileron on the port, upper wing?

Dave, the main wings are rigged with monofilament to give the model extra strength, I also used stretched sprue and ceramic fibre for the other rigging.

The upper and lower wings of the DH-2 were completely interchangeable, and so therefore so were the ailerons. My model depicts an aircraft whose upper-aileron has been damaged and replaced by a lower-wing aileron from another a/c, which also explains the difference in blue of the roundel.

or do I have to buy that issue of Model Airplane International to find out? laugh.gif

See Jason's answer :cheers:

And talk about timing, the engine is on its way now.

Oh, thank you MoFo. Well, I'll just tear out the rigging around the existing engine, rip the super-glued kit part from its fuselage mounting, paint/weather/glue the new resin part and simply re-do the rigging. :thumbsup:

What are the wings covered in so you can see the ribs and roundels?

Thanks Ron. See Jason's answer :banana:

Now you've done it again you ruined the hobby cause noone will be able to do one better than yours.

Thanks Greg :huh: I know you're only joking, but seriously there are lots of shortcomings on the model which are apparent when looking at the model in real life but which aren't so visible in a low-res web image! I'm just happy it's done.

just tear out the rigging around the existing engine, rip the super-glued kit part from its fuselage mounting, paint/weather/glue the new resin part and simply re-do the rigging. :D

What, you're not going to strip and re-paint the model too? Talk about half-assed jobs! I'd have thought you'd be really keen to re-live the build experience. :wacko: