best airplane

That´s hard to answer. Since there is no "generic taste" and most human beings want to be individuals, you could start a poll to determine popularity of certain types, but that´s about as close as you can get. There is no ultimate truth, there are only opinions. I i.e. like to build modern (late 70s-today) US Navy subjects, especially F-14s. No matter how bad the fit is, when it looks like an F-14 after lots of hours/days/putty/sanding and all that, I am happy. Still like Hase´s F-14s most.

Hope this helps.

István

Edited by I.Illes

The first one, a 1956 Airfix Spirfire. It started me on a life-long hobby. Since that time, every year has had a 'best ever' kit.

Some were horrible old mouldings that cleaned up nicely to make a unique model. Others were fresh out of the mould, built before any magazines had produced an article on them with wizz-bang engineering and first release fit. One or two were long-awaited but disappointing others arrived with no fanfare and were marvelous for accuracy and fit.

So, effectively I've built 50 'best ever' kits and have hoarded plenty more.

G

"I can picture it in my mind's eye now". Perfect injection moulding, gull over white (of course), fantastic weathering, pristine, colorful decals and it looks like it is about to take off on it's own. THEN I WAKE UP AND GO BACK TO MY COLLECTAIRE E-2C, sitting in unjustly cast pieces on my bench! Oh well, it's a dream!

Bill :thumbsup:

"I can picture it in my mind's eye now". Perfect injection moulding, gull over white (of course), fantastic weathering, pristine, colorful decals and it looks like it is about to take off on it's own. THEN I WAKE UP AND GO BACK TO MY COLLECTAIRE E-2C, sitting in unjustly cast pieces on my bench! Oh well, it's a dream!

Bill :thumbsup:

I can hear you! Still waiting for an affordable 1/48 E-2C :cheers:

István

Wow "Best Airplane I ever built"...tough question. I'd say the Roden 1/72 SE-5a was the best biplane kit I ever built. It's so well engineered it seemed to just fall together right out of the box and aligning and attaching the upper wing was no problem at all. The 1/72 Williams' Bros. Douglas World Cruiser is up there as well. A little more challenging but I was very pleased with the results. My favorite builds are not necessarily ones that were easy, such as my 1/144 scratchbuilt Curtiss H-16 flying boat. Maybe it's all the effort I put into it, but so far this is the one I like most.

Bri2k

Best engineered model I ever built, Acadamy Hornet in 1/32, best looking......toss between a recently finished tomcat and a phantom from last year.

Most built model (therefore my favorite) Phantom. over 100 built 90 still on the shelves.

One of the best I built is the 1:48th scale Airfix English Electric Lightning F1, F1A, F2 F3.

In the Firebirds paint scheme, it has all the power, romance and glamour that people seek.

It only gets better when you learn some of their history like being a on Quick Alert status sitting at the end of a runway only seconds from take off, or being an RAF flight display team.

My first love will always be for the F-111 but the Lightining has a certain something that makes it great, and it cant be taken away by anybody or with anything, and now in its retirment years its legend will only get stronger.

Depends on the definition of 'best'.

Best Subject ?

Spitfires: Huge range of marks and schemes. Generally good availability of good kits and details/decals.

Best Kit ?

Hasegawa 1/48th A4-M. Not being a jet guy I didn't care about accuracy. Almost built itself and looks darned good when finished.

Best build experience ?

Nearly always the last one. Up to now, the A4-M, as I was in a slump and it just sparked me back to life as a modeller.

Best end result ?

The 3 Spitfires I just finished for the BoB GB. I set myself a challenge and the end result was what I wanted.

Wasn't the most smooth build ever, but the end result makes me very happy.

Cheers,

Matt

Hard to answer this one. I'd say easiest building the 1:48 Tamiya spit's or Fw-190. One of the most enjoyable is the Tamiya 1:48 Swordfish on floats. I really like jets too, but they are just so much more work to finish props. I don't really draw the line at tailpipe or prop, but more as Biplanes, WWII, including me 262, meteor etc, post 1950, 70's jets F-14, F-16 etc. And lastly those damn ugly things they make today.

Ron

48th Monogram rebox of the F101B Voodoo. Got an article on ARC here.

Why the best? Despite testing me to the limits (with frustration) it really came across as one of the best models I've ever built, and it only took a little scratch building of minor minor details. It opened my eyes at how well I could build a model kit, even if it frustrated the hell out of me, and that is why it's the best.

That, and it looks like the most professional one I've built lol.

definately my 1:144 MiG - 29, as i managed to clone it from my 1:72 version !!!!!

But, this may change when i get my Revell 1/48 Rafale M!!! i got it in a gift set, so it comes with loads of modelling tools ! CANT WAIT :lol: :nanner::banana: