A Warning to Moai Vincent

I don't think we're allowed to ask that.

Let me make very clear, to any and all deceased, that the CoV does not discrimination based on existential status. If you are alive, deceased, living in a plane of alternate existence, or simply a figment of our collective or individual imaginations, you are fully eligible to participate in this thread and CoV activities.

Provided our background check doesn't turn up that you bought Charles In Charge, any season, on DVD.

So zombies are ok then??? I may have to rethink my membership here.....

I've been on one yes...

not much fun though...

Harald

Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it.

So zombies are ok then??? I may have to rethink my membership here.....

Not to worry. They either fall under the Charles in Charge Clause, or really, really don't like the CoV on account of the unfortunate incident at the April, 2008 Porpoise, Sealion, and Otter Annual Convention.

But VHS is okay?

The issue came up when the policy came before the Supreme Committee Meeting last July, but the CoV People's Delegates generally agreed that if any CoV members were still using VHS cassettes on a regular basis, they should be "grandfathered" out from under the Charles in Charge rule, on account of likely having obtained them before the Supreme Committee declared Scott Baio an Enemy of All that is Awesome and a Conspirator Against the People's Efforts to Be More Awesome.

For, as Booknikov explained in his volume The Theory of Sit-Com Overproduction and Its Relation to the People's Movement, "Poor situation comedy might sustain for years, and might be revered for years after its cancellation, before it becomes clear to the People and their appointed Executives that such a television program is, in fact, perniciously Anti-Awesome."

Not to worry. They either fall under the Charles in Charge Clause, or really, really don't like the CoV on account of the unfortunate incident at the April, 2008 Porpoise, Sealion, and Otter Annual Convention.

The issue came up when the policy came before the Supreme Committee Meeting last July, but the CoV People's Delegates generally agreed that if any CoV members were still using VHS cassettes on a regular basis, they should be "grandfathered" out from under the Charles in Charge rule, on account of likely having obtained them before the Supreme Committee declared Scott Baio an Enemy of All that is Awesome and a Conspirator Against the People's Efforts to Be More Awesome.

For, as Booknikov explained in his volume The Theory of Sit-Com Overproduction and Its Relation to the People's Movement, "Poor situation comedy might sustain for years, and might be revered for years after its cancellation, before it becomes clear to the People and their appointed Executives that such a television program is, in fact, perniciously Anti-Awesome."

Hmmm... Fish, I think you're hanging out with Barney Stinson a bit too much.

YOUR MOAI IS HAVING A ROAST PORK SAMMICH WITH SHARP PROVOLONE AND BROCCOLI RABE.

FROM JOHN'S.

MOAI VINCENT HAS SPOKEN.

Who's JOHN???

Harald, opening page 500 of this thread and wondering who Jonh is......

Edited by PhantomPhreakII
Guest Hoban Washburne
Wait a second... aren't you dead?

Only if you believe Serenity is canon for Firefly...which I don't. Not that it was bad, mind you, but it certainly took something away from the series...

I think it's on hiatus, because the guy who plays Spartacus has cancer.

Regards,

Murph

I read that unfortunately, Andy Whitfield has had a relapse and they may either recast the part or cancel the show, the producers are weighing their options ...

Gregg

I'm Spartacus!

And that's good, now that the whole Mixed Martial Arts trend is glorifying the supposed life of Roman gladiators. Meanwhile, the legions no longer get any historical love. Sorry fellas. Beating up Rome's enemies, beating down the local yokels, building roads, walls, aqueducts and forts just isn't that exciting any more, thanks to Russell Crow and Brad Pitt.

It's like how Robin Hood has totally taken the glory either from heavily armored equestrian knights, or even the brains of mid- and late-medieval armies, the Italian engineers.

Then again, Spartans' stock seems to have gone up. Hilariously. I expect to see a new, big-budget account of Xenophon's March fairly soon, too. Probably won't see the more obscure (but to me, more interesting) fights between the early Roman republic, and the post-Alexander "successor-states". War elephants! Humongous Siege Towers! Macadonian-style phanlanxes vs. Legionary formations! MORE WAR ELEPHANTS! Hellenistic warfare is hidden epic-movie fodder.

I actually bought a toy elephant a few years ago, and still have him wandering around the model stash, for a plan to build a Hellenistic War Elephant in the 1/35-132 scale. My figure modifying skills were about nil, then, but I could probably do it by modifying available figures, now, if I tried. There were a few kits from the "military miniature" manufacturer scene, but they all were predictably expensive, and frankly I thought I could do something more dramatic anyway.

Edited by Fishwelding
And that's good, now that the whole Mixed Martial Arts trend is glorifying the supposed life of Roman gladiators. Meanwhile, the legions no longer get any historical love. Sorry fellas. Beating up Rome's enemies, beating down the local yokels, building roads, walls, aqueducts and forts just isn't that exciting any more, thanks to Russell Crow and Brad Pitt.

270790603_047d35ff0e_o.jpg

Stwike him Centuwion, vewy woughly!

Sorry fellas. Beating up Rome's enemies, beating down the local yokels, building roads, walls, aqueducts and forts just isn't that exciting any more, thanks to Russell Crow and Brad Pitt.

But aside from the sanitation, education, medicine, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh-water system, and public health, what did the Romans ever do for us?

Dennis

But aside from the sanitation, education, medicine, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh-water system, and public health, what did the Romans ever do for us?

Dennis

Well, they didn't exactly advertise that they would do something for you (besides, of course, your conceded trivialities). So there wasn't an implied social contract, beyond their basic plan, that was essentially something like "we'll be in the neighborhood with weapons, and you'll pay us taxes in exchange for allowing you to admire our brilliant skill in government." And for a while, it worked well. Heck, by Emperor Trajan's day, the majority of legionaries were not Italians and probably had never seen Italy during their entire lives. To be able to recruit the local-yokels to browbeat themselves was a real feat of government deliberately emulated since.

There were only like 150,000 legionaries, and about a similar number of locally recruited soldiers (auxilia). In only a few places were the legions densely located, such as in Egypt, because of it's importance as a food source. So the army didn't have a big presence in many of the populated areas of the empire, and wouldn't be usually seen unless you did something to get their attention. Like, say, kick their petty officials out of town and swear you'd no longer pay taxes. That generally got you bumped up the Legionary list of "People we're going to 'extremely reeducate,'" and compelled some legion to leave their isolated fort, march to your city or settlement, and proceed to administer treatment not unlike what tourists receive from a bear when they are under the mistaken, granola-eating impression that feeding large wild animals is safe.

Man, it's been years since I've studied my ancient military history. I'm surprised how much I remember without consulting notes. The other day I got asked about Hans Delbrück. I don't know which was better; being able to recall that wacky Prussian, or being able to legitimately use an umlaut in an e-mail.

Hannibalsmith.jpg

...and in my opinion, the militarily more proficient of the two historic Hannibals. Being able to lead Elephants across the Alps is somewhat impressive. Being able to delicately balance, channel, and draw maximum potential from the myriad, personalities of Baracus, Peck, and Murdock, in bringing complex plans involving equal parts careful forethought and brash improvisation to a close before the credits roll...now that's warrior leadership.

I guess I'm going to go with my assumption that this thread is nothing more than one big non-sequitur. Thanks mates!

Nothing could be further from the truth. Empires have risen and fallen based on this thread, and it's believed that if an advanced alien species ever decides to make contact, they will post here first.