Bucc (sort of) completed

It is no secret that the Soviet aeronautical industry often made direct copies of western designs. This is one of the lesser known types.

In the early 70s engineers from the Tupovlev beauroes completed a prototype of the TU-97, based on the plans of the British Bucannear S2B stolen by a Soviet spy.

The Tu-97, codenamed "Bamford" by NATO, featured a revolutionary welding technique which resulted in exceptionally deep and wide panel lines, and the latest in Soviet avionics technology. Otherwise the design was a direct copy of the Bucannear.

The project was ultimatly scrapped due high production costs, however the third prototype was stolen and flown by defectors; Lts. Filakovich and Middletonsky, to Canada were the design was laughed at. :D

:D

now let me explain why it is what it is.

This project stalled around mid december when I began painting a standard RAF camo and ran into some issues. Also around this time I lost interest in building jets and went back to building props (real modeling :worship: ). I finally got it around the new year but then when I tried to put on the decals they began to act up. I was not about to raid my ever dwindling RAF decal supply for this kit so I put it aside until a later date. Well I recently aquired a IL-2 and had these soviet stars as spare (the 45s are from an old Yak-17) so I decided to have some fun. If this kit hadn't of been a gift from Mr. Fichner I would have deep sixed the project long ago. but Im glad I stuck to it. Even though the fit was wretched and I just had bad luck building this thing since the start, the final product is pleasing to the eye.

here is another shot

So anyways, thats it. Thank you Mike for creating a GB that gives us an oppertunity to goof-off a bit :worship: