Here is the beginning of my group build project. I have an old Revell kit and the new Monogram one. I thought I would build them side by side. The Revell is green and the Monogram is light grey.

Can't post a photo for some reason. Here is what it says: THE FOLLOWING ERROR(S) WERE FOUND

The total filespace required to upload all the attached files is greater than your per post or global limit. Please reduce the number of attachments or the size of the attachments.

The files are only 112KB each. What gives and how do I fix it?

Floyd

Hey Floyd how are you I think you need to get them below about 80kb check and see if your computer has a photo resizing program. Right click on the photo and see if there is a sentance in the window that says resize if so click on that and it will let you resize it. Hope this helps cause I am looking forward to seeing your work after seeing what you can do with German ME-109's Erick

Hi Floyd,

As Erick pointed out, there is a size limit on attachments (though I do believe 100k is the maximum size allowed).

I also look forward to seeing what to do with the old Revell kits given the work you did on the Kiowas.

Cheers,

Alby

I actually flew the AH-1P and the AH-1F. I flew AH-1Fs in Hanau, Germany. Went to the US and flew the AH-1P at Ft Hood. We turned them in just before Desert Shield and upgraded to AH-1Fs. Flew AH-1Fs in Korea and finally Germany. I have the notoriety of crashing the last Cobra in Europe on 29 April 1994, Acft 79-23245. I also hold the distinction of flying the last Cobra out of Europe to Schwinden England in 1996, Acft 79-23445.

Here is a photo of my aircraft in Desert Storm. Here is the link to some more photos: http://212.158.133.3/pages/en/usa/AH-1.HTML

Floyd

Edited by Floyd S. Werner, Jr.

Here are some in progress photos. The first is the engines. The exhaust portion of the engines has been cut back to allow for the Fireball exhaust. Most of this detail will not be seen after the engine and fuselage halves have been assembled so just basic color is displayed. On the real thing there should be a shroud around the driveshaft preventing anything from being seen aft of it, but the heck with it. It looks cool anyway. By the way the mount for the engine and transmission is totally wrong, but it is invisible so it really doesn' t matter.

Floyd

Here is the Fireball scoops and the exhaust panel fitted. This aircraft will have the toilet bowl modification when I'm done with it. Also fitted is the Cobra Company inlet screens. You will also notice some Eduard panels, including the avionics compartment panel. The tube will be used to set the angle for the wings. They are big to hold the wings with resin pods and the metal pods. Things are progressing slowly but I'm getting there.

Floyd

Here are the landing skids with the Eduard photoetch tow rings and some scratchbuilt ground handling wheel lugs. They have been scribed where necessary and the "bands" around the crosstubes has been removed.

Edited by Floyd S. Werner, Jr.

Here is one wing. It has the Cobra Company rocket pods without the cover plates. I haven't decided to load them or leave them empty, probably loaded. The other is the XM-158s. They are scratchbuilt items using some stuff from the MRC Huey Frog kit. The tubes were way undersized as they were 1/35th scale and not the 1/32nd scale of the Revell kit. Thin wall tubing was used to get the correct length. Neither pod is attached yet so the angles have to be set but I wanted to see how they looked together or if I needed to use the seven shot pods from Cobra Company. There is some Eduard ejector racks installed too. I like the way the tubes turned out and I think I'll keep the XM-158s on. The wing is like the rest of the kit scribed and primed.

Stupid Q, but what's this 'big-gun' thing?

:wacko:

It is the XM195/XM35 wing mounted 20mm gun subsystem;

http://tri.army.mil/lc/cs/csa/ah1gm35.jpg

http://tri.army.mil/lc/cs/csa/xm35armt.jpg

http://tri.army.mil/lc/cs/csa/m35armt.jpg

http://tri.army.mil/lc/cs/csa/xm195.jpg

M195 20mm Automatic Gun (1968-1972). The M195 was a short-barreled version of the six-barrel M61A1 Vulcan 20mm aircraft gun for use on the M35 armament subsystem used on the AH-1G "Huey" Cobra. The M195 had a firing rate of 750-800 spm. The M195 was type classified Standard B (over 377 units were built).
M35 Armament Subsystem (1968-1975). The M35 was a fixed-mount for the M195 six-barrel 20mm automatic gun for mounting on the port (left) side of the AH-1G "Huey" Cobra. The gun was basically a modified M61A1 Vulcan with shorter barrels and a declutching feeder. It automatically cleared itself of all live rounds at the end of each burst. The gun was pilot controlled, but controls were provided so either the pilot or gunner could fire the weapon. Two ammunition cans, containing 950 rounds of ammunition, were faired into the fuselage at the base of the stub wings. The gun has a firing rate of 750 SPM. Sighting was accomplished using the M73 reflex sight. The M35 was type classified Standard B (over 315 units were built).

Cheers,

Alby

Edited by Alby Moore
  • 1 month later...

I actually flew the AH-1P and the AH-1F. I flew AH-1Fs in Hanau, Germany. Went to the US and flew the AH-1P at Ft Hood. We turned them in just before Desert Shield and upgraded to AH-1Fs. Flew AH-1Fs in Korea and finally Germany. I have the notoriety of crashing the last Cobra in Europe on 29 April 1994, Acft 79-23245. I also hold the distinction of flying the last Cobra out of Europe to Schwinden England in 1996, Acft 79-23445.

Here is a photo of my aircraft in Desert Storm. Here is the link to some more photos: http://212.158.133.3/pages/en/usa/AH-1.HTML

Floyd

When were you at Hanau?

I was there from '84 to '89, at the 8/158th Avn.

Sounds like you were in the 227th.

Floyd,

Lookin good man! I haven't used the CC M-35 system yet, but I may have to get it now after looking at your shots. I scratchbuilt the whole thing for my Cobra about four years ago. Came out pretty good, although the engine compartment could have been better.

Looking forward to the next installment!

Jon