Thanks guys for the kind words.

I cast the anti-collision light and scratchbuilt the oil tank vent. They have been added to the models, but then I hit a stumbling block, the canopies. One will be open but that requires a lot more work than initially thought. I had to take a small break and build something easy, a Bf-109 of course. The only thing to finish these up building wise is the canopies and cockpits. The cockpits are painted and just waiting on the canopies. All my examples are horrid to say the least. I finally bought a whole kit this past weekend just for the canopy which looked really good. So I have one that I can close, but now I have to do the one that is open. The doors are a real pain in the arse. I have the doors removed from the canopy and the back one "framed". It still needs work and the front one is calling my name in a taunting way. Anyhow, I haven't forgotten the build just needed a small break. It isn't as easy as I once thought. The XM-35 looks cool though. I haven't mounted it but I did the barrels out of tubing and they look the part. It is huge.

As for being stationed in Hanau, I was assigned to the B Company 2/227th in 1985-88. Loved Germany did not like that particular unit. Almost got out of the Army because of it. But I found the Cav and realized that is what the Army was really about. If you ain't Cav, you ain't ****. If you are Cav, you are ****, but your **** don't stink.

Thanks again.

Floyd

Floyd--

Your build is looking great! I opened up the canopies on my Revell Cobra a few years ago by sawing the hatches that open from the completed piece, and promptly broke the part that comes down the middle over the pilots heads! I ended up just scratch bulding a canopy out of some clear sheet. Actually, breaking the center peice made getting the ones I wanted to open up easier! I used parts that stay closed from the original, and just rebuilt the center section. It made seeing the Cobra Co. cockpit alot easier too! It was pretty simple to remake.

I just wonder if the canopies in the newest release of the Revell Cobra are any clearer?

Mike

The new release had some serious flaws, gouges actually, that I had to polish out. Normally not too big a deal but they were so deep that I ended up sanding off all of the canopy framing. I was just going to reframe everything but thought there must be better canopies out there and that is when I found the one at the show. I'll save the polished one for another day.

On the one I want to open, I've been able to separate the doors without breaking the remaining framing. Now the trouble is the doors. First off the framing is incorrect on the bottom of the whole canopy. Then there is the issue of the doors, inside and out. I'll have to take a photo of the door that I have in construction. It is not going to be easy. Unfortunately no one makes a replacement vacuformed canopy for this kit.

Floyd

• 2 months later...

I've been in contact with the guy making the masters in New Zealand and he says that there should be no problem getting me the canopies in time for Nationals. This isn't written in stone and customs may have something to say about it but my hope is to have them there along with my new DVD. I think the initial run will be between 300-400. If they sell then I'll debate making more as I beleive I have to have them run in lots of 100 each.

Stay tuned. As I get them I'll let you know.

Floyd