Battlestar Galactica Episode "Scar"

I caught last night's episode of BG, listed as "Scar" on the SciFi website. I liked it, and consider it one of their better shows so far. Lots of fighter pilot jargon and lore, a few neat tricks (using an upraised thumb to blot out the sun), and the vertigo test (does it strike anyone but me that while it looked cool, it could be REALLY dangerous, especially on a pressurized spaceship....I know, nitpicking....). I also like how Starbuck turned the tables on Cat (Kat?) in the end, by offering up the toast to those who died in combat. Nice touch.

Also a nod to the original series-in the opening shot of the mining facility, there is a vehicle that resembles an M113 APC (box on treads), it strongly resembles the APCs used in the original (Saga Of A Star World, The Gun On Ice Planet Zero). Cool :) !

As to all the debates of the Original versus the new series-I'm a fan of both. I went through three phases regarding the original series-loved it as a kid, hated it and wondered what I was thinking upon viewing it a few years later, and now I look upon it with affection, kinda like the cartoons you liked as a kid. The new series is darker, grittier, and IMHO a lot more realistic than most series regarding the military, period-well, at least more realistic than most episodes of JAG :cheers: ......

I caught last night's "Scar" episode too. I think I have now figured out why the Cylons are out to get the humans. Seems to me that Mr. Eick and Mr. Moore, in addition to retelling the "legend", have also mixed up the biology in their little legend's universe. Apparently in that universe testicles secrete estrogen and ovaries secrete testosterone. No wonder the Cylons are so bent on humanities destruction in that corner of the galaxy. This series is leaving me wondering who gets led to the bedroom with a collar and chain, David Eick or Ronald Moore

Ja- Definetely a great episode, maybe the best yet.

You can't help but to admire this episode if you dig fighter aircraft, star wars type action, or chicks with guns.

The competition betwen Kat and Starbuck was great writing. I continually look forward to each episode Friday night.

I enjoyed the conversation between Starbuck and Boomer. It was the first time we've really seen someone remember that Boomer was a pilot for the Galactica for years before it was discovered that she was a Cylon. Well, of course people remembered it, but this was tthe first time that someone talked to her about it.

• 2 months later...

Finally caught this episode last night, were a few months behind up here. That was a great episode. I am rereading "Baa Baa Black Sheep" right now and I was reminded of one of the flights Boyington was on with th AVG where he used his thumb to blot out the sun.

The witers/producers/director's commentary from this episode commetns on that I beleive.

On a related note- looks like the Uof Washinton is changing their mind about the Pappy Boyington memorial for the bettter!

I was very sceptical of the new series, but once it started I'm hooked. I too went through the same feelings about the original; hook as a kid, thought it was corny as an adult. But now that I have kids, I can watch the originals with my son and it's not too violent or 'racey' for him and he enjoys them (although I get the feeling sometimes he's humoring me!).

Mike