Guys, is it true that ME262 was built like a model kit ? That there's a seam line along the fuselage ? Is the seam line also apparent on the lower fuselage ? Any pics or reference will be highly appreciated :blink:

Regards

Jahja

I was just wondering the same thing. The Tamiya 262 instructions show a panal line running down both the spine and the belly. Any pictures that I have found online are ambiguous. I am currently woring on one and am ready to preserve it unless someone can tell me otherwise.

The Bf109 was indeed built like a kit, with the fuselage halves split vertically. This leaves a seam line on both the upper and lower fuselage after joining the halves. I have to check some references to see whether this construction method was continued with the Me-262, I do believe it was.

regards,

Richard

http://stormbirds.net/images_markings/profile_top.jpg

http://stormbirds.net/images_markings/profile_bot.jpg

Here's a couple images. As you can see, theres a seam along most of the fuselage, a rather prominent one too. It shows in photos too(cant find any online though)

Funny thing is, 90% of models shown online have had the line removed. 262 kits ought to come with a disclaimer!

Never say never, but I don't think so. The panel lines on the Me-262 were taped, puttied and sanded down, this is readily apparent from unpainted Me-262s.

This photo is by no means conclusive, but to me it looks like the seam line in question has been puttied in the same manner as other seam lines.

me262-002.jpg

Anders

There are a couple of pics in the Aero Detail book that show there is a seam on the top and the bottom of the aft fuselage. The 262 was assembled very similar to the 109, as someone else has pointed out.

The thing about the 262 is that all seams were filled and sanded, so actually there should not be any visible seams on a model. However, if you decide that looks boring and leave the vertical panel lines, then you should also leave the seams along the spine and belly where the left and right fuselage halves join. In reality, though, those seams should have been slightly off dead center, as the skin halves would have met in a lap joint, not a rearend joint. But now we're picking nits...