B29s in olive drab

P.P.S. If you're not stuck on doing a U.S. B-29, you could always do an R.A.F. Washington. This one's a B-50, but I'm pretty sure the B-29 Washingtons we sent over to the U.K. had similar camo.

Bri2k

Edited by Bri2k

Hi Sean,

According to W.R. Taylor's "Combat Aircraft of the World":

"In 1950, 70 B-29s and B-29As were taken out of storage and supplied to the R.A.F. under the American Military Aid Program. They were named Washington B Mk Is and served with Bomber Command for four years."

I think these were all based in Great Britain, the idea being to give a key U.S. ally the strategic reach necessary to hit a good portion of the Soviet Union. Also, it may have been the only strategic bomber capable of carrying the early British atom bombs.

Bri2k

If you can find a copy of Squadrons B-29 Superfortress in Action, there is a picture and a profile of an OD B-29 which was operated out of China and became one of three B-29s who diverted to Vladivostock before the end of the war and eventually became patterns (by reverse engineering) for the Soviet Tu-4 Bull.

If you can find a copy of Squadrons B-29 Superfortress in Action, there is a picture and a profile of an OD B-29

Yes - I have it - B29A - only the side view - "Monsoon Goon" 42-93828. Scanner packed due to house move but can possibly P/C it for you if you wish. Osprey B29 Superfortress Units of Korean war has a few that are quite generously covered unerside and fin etc. on black so about 40% NMF?

And interestingly here is a pic, also taken by him at RAF Nicosia during the same time period, of a US Air Force B-29. Apparently he says that this one was always parked on it's own away from everything else..... :unsure:

usb29.jpg

;)

RB-29 maybe? :cheers:

...And interestingly here is a pic, also taken by him at RAF Nicosia during the same time period, of a US Air Force B-29. Apparently he says that this one was always parked on it's own away from everything else..... :unsure:

usb29.jpg

:cheers:

It could indeed be an RB-29 as Mungo1974 suggests. However, if this is 1956, I think by then the USAF RB-50’s had replaced the RB-29’s. I was wondering if it might be a KB-29M that had a deployable refueling hose installed in the bomb bay, which might be what that hump is below the inner port engine of the aircraft. Alternatively, perhaps it was a TB-29 target tug/crew trainer. The TB-29’s also had a reel mechanism installed in the bomb bay, similar to the KB-29M’s for reeling out targets. Either way, it is a neat and interesting set of pictures. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Regards,

Don

Gary, Don, you could be right, it would be interesting to find out exactly what that US B-29 is.

Bit of a side note, Dad actually did a bit of 1:1 scale modelling while he was there, he helped paint the Black and Yellow (and on one occasion Black and WHITE !!) Suez stripes on some of the aircraft. :woot.gif:

:worship:

did he prashade and oil wash?

Good question, I will have to ask him. ! :banana::cheers:

He tells me that he and a bunch of volunteers started painting the stripes on late at night when the temperature was coolish, and on into the following morning when the temperature rose considerably. Because condensation had formed on some areas, some aircraft looked more 'patchy' than others. I think they painted them by hand too, no spraying equipment.

:nanner:

...Dad actually did a bit of 1:1 scale modelling while he was there, he helped paint the Black and Yellow (and on one occasion Black and WHITE !!) Suez stripes on some of the aircraft. :cheers:

B)

Neil,

Sorry, but I am a little slow this morning (need more coffee :lol: !), your Dad was painting black and yellow (sometimes white) “Suez†stripes on RAF B-29’s correct? Do you happen to have any pictures of those? This would make an interesting build for the “Heavies†GB.

Thanks and regards,

Don

Neil,

your Dad was painting black and yellow (sometimes white) “Suez†stripes on RAF B-29’s correct?

Thanks and regards,

Don

The way I phrased that is a bit misleading, he was painting the Canberra's and stuff like that, not the B-29's.

:lol: