B29s in olive drab

If you notice Hobo Queen has no turrets, beleive she was used to haul fuel over the hump. Also beleive she was the only YB-29 to go to the CBI after making a stop in England to try and make the Germans think we were going to use them in the ETO.

Mike

If you notice Hobo Queen has no turrets, beleive she was used to haul fuel over the hump. Also beleive she was the only YB-29 to go to the CBI after making a stop in England to try and make the Germans think we were going to use them in the ETO.

Mike

After Hobo Queen (USAAC Serial #41-36963 ) left England, it flew to India where it joined the 462nd Bomb Group. Also, sort of a side note, it originally had a three bladed Hamilton Standard Prop installed while undergoing testing here in the States. Prior to flying over to England, it had the usual four bladed prop seen on B-29's installed. Here is an apparent picture of her arriving in England that I found on the net (no nose art applied by the looks of it and upper turret in place):

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/attachmen...achmentid=75182

Regards,

Don

• 15 years later...
On 2/8/2006 at 10:16 AM, Neil said:

mungo1974

Dear Mungo

I am very keen to obtain a copy of the photo of Boeing Washington WW346 at Nicosia which your Dad took in 1956 .  This is  to illustrate a magazine article I'm writing about 192 Sqn's Washingtons. Would be most grateful if you can help.  All assistance acknowledged.

Regards

TONY FAIRBAIRN 

2 hours ago, Tony Fairbairn said:

Dear Mungo

I am very keen to obtain a copy of the photo of Boeing Washington WW346 at Nicosia which your Dad took in 1956 .  This is  to illustrate a magazine article I'm writing about 192 Sqn's Washingtons. Would be most grateful if you can help.  All assistance acknowledged.

Regards

TONY FAIRBAIRN 

Hey Tony

Not my photo's sadly. You need to send Neil in this thread a message it was his Dad who was in Nicosia...I know his Dad sadly passed away afew years ago now but he may still be able to help you.