An A-4L is a rebuilt A-4C I believe. I do not think there are many external differences, but maybe someone else can shed some light on that.

Yes, it was used by the US Navy.

Hasegawa A-4C should do the trick.

Edited by BlackCat

Does the A-4L keep the same airframe as the C, as in the shorter nose (compared to the E/F/M)?

So for instance if i was building a 72nd fujimi C and wanted to turn it into an A-4L all i would need to do externally would be to add the hump?

Edited by Bullet101

If I'm not mistaken, everything you need to make an L model is in the C model boxing from Hasegawa, including the fuselage hump. I still have mine in my spare parts bin after my C model build a few years back.

You will need to use aftermarket decals, though. Eagle Strike makes a pretty broad selection for the Lima model.

Take Care,

Thomas

Bill,

The L was indeed a refurbished C, the only external difference being that the L had the avionics hump and the C did not. It had only the two original wing stations, plus the centerline, not the 5 stations that the E and subsequent versions had. Some Navy Squadrons that flew it include the CVWR-20 attack squadrons, VA-203, VA-204, and VA-205. There was another nominal CAG-20 squadron that flew it, VA-209, the Air Barons of NAS Glenview, but they did not exist long. No active duty fleet attack squadron flew it, but some active duty VC squadrons, notably VC-2, as well as VC-13, a reserve VC squadron. Several Marine reserve squadrons flew it as well, but, again, no active duty squadrons.

Hasegawa did box their C kit as an L with VC-2 markings, but a C kit will do also, as it includes the hump. For markings, Eagle Strike did a couple sheets that feature A-4L's, including VA-204 and VA-209, VC-2 and VC-13, you can check their site, I think all are still available. I Superscale did a VA-209 A-4L as well, and some others I think back in the Microscale days.

HTH,

Tom, whose last flight in the Navy was in a VA-203 A-4L

• 16 years later...
On 2/8/2006 at 1:50 PM, Darren Roberts said:

From what I can recall, the A-4L is an A-4C with all of the E/F upgrades, including the avionics hump.

The A-4L got the avionics upgrades but not the Pratt and Whitney  J-52-P6,  P8 or P408 engines. It kept the original J-65 W- 408. The L was built specifically from the A-4C with about 200 produced as I recall, for the Navy reserve.  

On 2/8/2006 at 2:32 PM, Superheat said:

Bill,

The L was indeed a refurbished C, the only external difference being that the L had the avionics hump and the C did not. It had only the two original wing stations, plus the centerline, not the 5 stations that the E and subsequent versions had. Some Navy Squadrons that flew it include the CVWR-20 attack squadrons, VA-203, VA-204, and VA-205. There was another nominal CAG-20 squadron that flew it, VA-209, the Air Barons of NAS Glenview, but they did not exist long. No active duty fleet attack squadron flew it, but some active duty VC squadrons, notably VC-2, as well as VC-13, a reserve VC squadron. Several Marine reserve squadrons flew it as well, but, again, no active duty squadrons.

Hasegawa did box their C kit as an L with VC-2 markings, but a C kit will do also, as it includes the hump. For markings, Eagle Strike did a couple sheets that feature A-4L's, including VA-204 and VA-209, VC-2 and VC-13, you can check their site, I think all are still available. I Superscale did a VA-209 A-4L as well, and some others I think back in the Microscale days.

HTH,

Tom, whose last flight in the Navy was in a VA-203 A-4L

I was a mech with VA-204, the River Rattlers at NAS Memphis. We shared the hanger with VMA-124 Memphis Marines. Their A-4E also had larger engine access doors plus the starboard door wasn't blocked by the engine breather. At military power, the L would spew an orange Mil L 23699 oil mist into the air.  When I got to VC-13, they had moved to NAS Miramar and were operating the TA-4J. They later got the A-4E and A-4F. Retired out of VFC-13 in 1992. 

On 6/27/2022 at 11:36 PM, Scooter George said:

The A-4L was a rebuilt a-4C for the Naval Air Reserves. It had the camel hump and additional avionics equipment but kept the original Wright J-65 engine and straight inflight refueling probe. I worked on the A-4L while assigned to  VA-204, the "River Rattlers" at NAS Memphis

I live in Olathe, KS and at the airport (former NAS Olathe) there's a former River Rattler A-4L on display. They have it painted up in Marine markings, but I've been trying to get the airport to change them to VA-204 markings. Unfortunately, that's like getting blood from a turnip! I would imagine you probably worked on the one that's on display here.