AMT MF cut-away kit question

It is the same base kit, originally with no interior save a crude cockpit, and later reissued with a partial interior. I think you get the same couple of seated figures for the cockpit in both kits; Han, Chewie, and Luke IIRC. It's a largish (around 1/72 scale) kit with somewhat soft and simplified detail. It certainly looks like the Falcon and can be made to look impressive with a good paint job. Doesn't hold a candle to the new Fine Molds Falcon, but that kit is pretty expensive. You get what you pay for.

I'll second Dave. I have built both MPC/AMT Millenium Falcon without and with interion.

The one with the interior is the same old Falcon with the left front quarter removable. Fairly well molded parts to make the interior are provided (this is the main deck with seats, computer and holochess and parts of corridors) The fit is awfull since the interior parts were made circa 1997/98 to fit in the 1978 hull... The wall over Solo's nav-computer interfere with the upper turret window... The cockpit has not been improved and there is no decals (difficult to paint the holochess board)

The exterior parts are the same old story... These kits are ligth years behind Fine Molds Falcon but the price is certainly sweet. Both should have 3 figures (crude) Solo, Luke and Chewie

Griz

Edited by Grizzly
Not seen the FM kit, but the AMT can be made to look a lot better with lots of scratchbuilding. Here's mine from the starshipmodellers contest.

Very, very impressive... :thumbsup: with a lot of sweat, one can make a very impressive model using AMT Falcon...

Not seen the FM kit, but the AMT can be made to look a lot better with lots of scratchbuilding. Here's mine from the starshipmodellers contest.

Looks great GM. What did you add to it? Did you use the Falconkits sidewalls or any Trilliance detail sets?

TB2

PS: I regularly frequent the SSM boards. What's your handle there?

Looks great GM. What did you add to it? Did you use the Falconkits sidewalls or any Trilliance detail sets?

TB2

PS: I regularly frequent the SSM boards. What's your handle there?

All the extra detail was scratch built or kitbashed, no falconkits or trilliance parts. I reduced the height of the sidewalls by about 1/4 inch and replaced the original kit detail with scratch using the original ILM models as a guide. I also added an exhaust grille at the back end and illuminated the whole thing using LED's.

The kit was originally the cut-away AMT version but the alterations made it impossible to use the internal sections.

I visit SSM fairly often but dont actually use the forums to post.

:D

All the extra detail was scratch built or kitbashed, no falconkits or trilliance parts. I reduced the height of the sidewalls by about 1/4 inch and replaced the original kit detail with scratch using the original ILM models as a guide. I also added an exhaust grille at the back end and illuminated the whole thing using LED's.

Hey G-Meanie,

I have the AMT "in-progress", but I just ordered the Fine Molds Falcon kit. Building their X-Wing kits was truly an enjoyable experience and from what I hear the big Falcon kit is more of the same. But I must say, your Falcon is heads and tail above anything else I've seen. I'd be proud to have a kit like that in my collection. Very, very nice work.

Randy

Hey G-Meanie,

I have the AMT "in-progress", but I just ordered the Fine Molds Falcon kit. Building their X-Wing kits was truly an enjoyable experience and from what I hear the big Falcon kit is more of the same. But I must say, your Falcon is heads and tail above anything else I've seen. I'd be proud to have a kit like that in my collection. Very, very nice work.

Randy

why thankyou sir, thankyou very much.

:worship: