Hornet dual AMRAAM launcher operational use question.

Every picture I've seen of a Hornet on a mission with the dual AMRAAM launcher underwing (2x LAU-127 on the sides of an LAU-115) seems to have a LAU-115 with a Sparrow on the other wing, or it's impossible to see what's on the other wing. So my question is---is it normal to have a dual AMRAAM launcher on each wing, or is it usually a Sparrow on one wing and dual AMRAAMs on the other?

Also--I just picked up the Osprey "Hornets in OIF part 2" book and it mentioned the DCA missions on the first day, and had a pic of a VFA-201 Hornet in a pure air-to-air config---and again, the pic shows a dual AMRAAM launcher on one side but you can't tell what's on the other side at all. Anyone know what was used or most likely for those missions? And if VFA-105 participated? Was the FLIR still attached or was another Sparrow/AMRAAM susbstitued? Goofy gas? (Yes I plan to use kit decals on an OIF boxing Academy Hornet, and would like to do the CAG or CO with AMRAAMs if it's plausible--HARMs if not)

PS---can you attach an LAU-127 directly to a Legacy Hornet pylon and carry a single AMRAAM, or must you have a half-empty LAU-115/127 combo?

As far as wing loadings go, each wing is considered separately and as long as the lateral asymmetry moment limits are not exceeded, you can be as weird as you want. The Sparrow/AMRAAM mixed load you noted would be a operational, not engineering decision. In the Navy, those decisions seem to be made at the squadron level and there is probably not "one" answer to your question.

On legacy Hornets, the only wing-mounted AMRAAM option is to load two AIM-120s on the LAU-115C/A and dual LAU-127 launchers--single loads are not permitted. Nor can legacy Hornets mount a LAU-127 directly to a pylon, although the E/F can (on the outboard wing stations).

Thanks! Still trying to figure out if dual-AMRAAM launchers on each wing are plausible for VFA-105 or VMFA-232, if for no other reason than it looks cool. <_< (Also trying to figure out most likely alternative HARM config---HARM/HARM/JSOW/HARM, or maybe HARM/HARM/Tank/JSOW)

You can have this configuration under both wings at the same time. Do you have any of these pictures of the dual AMRAAM under one wing with Sparrow on the other that you can email me?

Thanks,

Rodney

1/48--SOL resin is the only one I know of. In 1/32 it's included in the Academy kit. 1/72 could really use some LAU-115's--there's no way to put Sparrows under the wings of an F-18 or F-20, which I really want to do.

Sparrow on one side, dual AMRAAM on the other: http://www.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=3916 (This is about the only photo I've ever found that shows what's on both wings--lots of photos that show dual AMRAAMs on one but never show the other side)

On a related note, I've found pics of VFA-2 Super Hornets with a Sparrow under each outer pylon.

Thanks! Still trying to figure out if dual-AMRAAM launchers on each wing are plausible for VFA-105 or VMFA-232, if for no other reason than it looks cool. :thumbsup: (Also trying to figure out most likely alternative HARM config---HARM/HARM/JSOW/HARM, or maybe HARM/HARM/Tank/JSOW)

I'm sure I've seen a pic of a VMFA-232 F/A-18C during OIF with the AMRAAM loadout for DCA.

Update:Found one

http://www.amv83.net/navycag/vmfa/VMFA-232...vils%20CAG.jpeg

Stephen

Edited by Stephen
As far as wing loadings go, each wing is considered separately and as long as the lateral asymmetry moment limits are not exceeded, you can be as weird as you want. The Sparrow/AMRAAM mixed load you noted would be a operational, not engineering decision. In the Navy, those decisions seem to be made at the squadron level and there is probably not "one" answer to your question.

On legacy Hornets, the only wing-mounted AMRAAM option is to load two AIM-120s on the LAU-115C/A and dual LAU-127 launchers--single loads are not permitted. Nor can legacy Hornets mount a LAU-127 directly to a pylon, although the E/F can (on the outboard wing stations).

I was just looking for Spanish Hornet pictures online and I saw this Swiss F-18 F-18C with single AIM-120s on the wing pylon:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0979176/L/

Just out of interest, is this something only export Hornets do? I have very little knowledge of the F-18 and I was wonderring what loads would be possible if I was to build one of the Swiss, Finish or Spanish options on the F-4Dable Models "Export Hornets" sheet. Cheers,

Ed

That VMFA-232 pic is very famous, but doesn't answer the question of if Hornets ever have the dual launcher on BOTH wings.

I've found pics of every squadron I'm interested in carrying them on *a* wing, but never a pic showing what's on the other wing! (except a few shots where they're Sparrows)

That VMFA-232 pic is very famous, but doesn't answer the question of if Hornets ever have the dual launcher on BOTH wings.

Yes, the hornet can have dual launcher on both wings. We have a config chart showing this and we've done it in flight test.

HTH,

Rodney

But there's also been legacy Hornets with 5 drop tanks in testing. I'm curious about operational use. Still, thanks for the info that it's at least been test-flown.

Internal debate: go with a nitpickingling mission-specific and accurate JDAM/LGB load I have photos of it carrying, or do a bunch of AMRAAMs simply because it looks really cool. :cheers: (I'm leaning towards the latter, but I really would like to know if there's any chance a Hornet carried dual AMRAAM launchers under each wing for an actual mission--even if only for training)

Edited by David Hingtgen
But there's also been legacy Hornets with 5 drop tanks in testing. I'm curious about operational use. Still, thanks for the info that it's at least been test-flown.

Internal debate: go with a nitpickingling mission-specific and accurate JDAM/LGB load I have photos of it carrying, or do a bunch of AMRAAMs simply because it looks really cool. :woot.gif: (I'm leaning towards the latter, but I really would like to know if there's any chance a Hornet carried dual AMRAAM launchers under each wing for an actual mission--even if only for training)

I'm on travel for the next three days, but I'll try to remember to ask my project pilot next week if nobody produces any photo evidence for you by then.

Rodney