Millenium Falcon Details.

Does the Millenium Falcon have landing gear doors? The MPC kit had them; Fine Molds didn't put them in. "IF" the Fine molds kit is correct, do the bottoms of the landing gear pads form the outer door for the gear well? Does anyone have photos to confirm or deny?

Randy

In this case, you are pretty much on your own. The bottoms of the foot pads don't match the exteriors of the bottom hull plates. So that implies there are doors or covers of some sort. But they don't hang down like what the MPC kit has. So I say they would probably fold down, then slide straight up to store inside the bays when the gears come down. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it though since I don't think ILM thought out the mechanics too much short of what was needed to get the models built. In that case, they would more then likley be just slip on covers like what the FM kit has and these covers probably served a second purpose to cover up support mounts for the model's internal support armature.

Joe Johnston's "Star Wars Sketchbook" has an underside diagram that has landing gear doors marked on it -- "swing down to hang vertically", more or less like the MPC kit. Problem is that these are just the preliminary sketches and don't necessarily correspond to the actual models or full-size mockups.

Based on screen captures from the DVDs (see below - I was bored today...), it looks like there are doors that swing down vertically. They may retract partway into the gear well, hard to tell. You can sorta-kinda see them sticking out alongside the gear itself. Unfortunately the screen captures aren't at a very good resolution: the best view of the landing gear comes in the restored "special edition" scene of Episode IV where Jabba confronts Han in the landing bay.

Thanks for the replies guys. After three days of searching I found these photos. The full-scale Falcon definately had landing gear doors. And again some of you were correct when speculating that the doors swung down, but then partially lifted up into the open gear bays. At least that's the assumption that I'm going to work on when building my Mos Eisley diorama. To the head of the class for all of you!!!

Randy

bang.jpg

bang2.jpg

Not related to the Millenium Falcon... But as I reviewed the DVDs I was struck by a few things that SHOULD have been fixed in the "special editions" but weren't.

For instance: The display shown to the pilots before the Battle of Yavin. Not only is it simple line drawings (the first computer-generated special effect used in a feature film, actually) but it's inaccurate. It shows the Death Star laser eye at the equator, which is consistent with the early sketches but not with the filmed version. This should have been replaced with a more realistic fly-through simulation. We have these even today, after all.

Also, when Han says goodbye to Lando before the Battle of Endor, it's painfully obvious that they're standing in front of a matte painting of the Falcon, not the real mockup.

Little things, but one notices them in hindsight. On the plus side, I think the CGI spaceships look much better than some of the ones you see nowadays. Maybe it's because they had to match the original models rather than coming up with something from scratch. I really do think that physical effects models look more convincing than CGI...

(Gotta find my "X-Wing Alliance" CD so I can fly around and blow things up now... Strange that a computer game should have a better plot than Episodes I through III...)

Also, when Han says goodbye to Lando before the Battle of Endor, it's painfully obvious that they're standing in front of a matte painting of the Falcon, not the real mockup.

Agreed. There are a lot of goof, errors, etc and it's fun to go back and check them out. But I rarely ever watch the "Special Edition" trilogy versions. I like the to watch the original movies as they appeared in the theaters; back when they "WOW!" the pants off of us. Also, I've never watched Ep. 1, 2 or 3 CD's after I bought them. Once in the theaters was enough for me.

While trying to find some info on those darned landing gear doors I read an interesting blurb of how Lucas and Kurtz disagreed over the ending of Return (Revenge) of the Jedi. The final version is of course what Lucas wanted. Kurtz wanted to stick with the original story line as written before Lucas did the Indiana Jones flick. Solo was to have died, Luke would have left to complete his Jedi training, he and Leia weren't siblings and Leia was to return as queen to reign over her people. But after the huge success of "Raiders" Lucas was determined to put more action into "Jedi" and provide a happier ending than "Empire". Kurtz left Lucas to finish "Jedi" as he wished and neither have worked together since. Hindsight is always 20/20, but suffcie to say that "Jedi" was the lesser of the first three Star Wars movies and the next three were never anywhere near the original and "Empire". I would hazard an opinion and say that Gary Kurtz had more to do with making Star Wars the "event" that it was than Lucas did. It was Lucas' idea to begin with, but Kurtz made it into the great well-rounded story that it became through "Empire". But then again, that's just my opinion; I'm sure others feel differently and that's cool with me. :banana:

Randy

I was rather disappointed when, in the special edition, a few maneuvers weren't inserted into the film after Han declares "Don't worry, I know a few maneuvers, we'll lose them!" Instead, the Falcon still flies along straight and level, just like in 1977...

Also, there are persistend rumors that Lando and the Falcon didn't make it out of the Death Star in the original draft of the shooting script...Han's premonition that he "might not see her again" when he watches the Falcon being prepped for the fight was supposed to have come true. This also explains the emphasis placed on making Lando promise "not a scratch".

I really do think that physical effects models look more convincing than CGI...

This also explains the emphasis placed on making Lando promise "not a scratch".

I agree and that's what Peter Jackson made with the Lord Of The Rings : Models+natural landscapes+CGI where needed... versus Star Wars New trilogy with CGI everywhere...Someone says that it is obvious that Lando and Han are before a matte painting when departing for Endor, but I didnt notice that before I found pics of the matte painting in a book. On the other hand, in any of the new trilogy and especially Ep II and III, it is obvious that the actors are permanently acting in stage before a blue screen...

Speaking of the MF, Fine Molds job is so awaited and outstanding that I can't complain just for few issues. It is just the kit I was waiting for, in scale with the other ships. It is near perfection to my eyes.

Well, Lando has lost the radar dish, it is a little scratch :crying:

I would hazard an opinion and say that Gary Kurtz had more to do with making Star Wars the "event" that it was than Lucas did. It was Lucas' idea to begin with, but Kurtz made it into the great well-rounded story that it became through "Empire". But then again, that's just my opinion; I'm sure others feel differently and that's cool with me. :crying:

Randy

I totally agree : Gary Kurtz has been one of the main protagonist of the New hope and Empire. When watching pics taken during the main shooting of the movies in some books (like "365 days"), he is always somewhere on the stage. His influence on the first two movies is huge. I would say Lucas dreamed Star Wars, Kurtz made it possible. (sorry for my bad english)

Speaking of the MF, Fine Molds job is so awaited and outstanding that I can't complain just for few issues. It is just the kit I was waiting for, in scale with the other ships. It is near perfection to my eyes.

Yes, I agree Grizz. Despite what some naysayers on other sites are saying about the mandibiles, the size of the radar dish and the crew entry ramp, I see the Fine Molds kit of the Falcon to be one of the finest engineered model kits - ever. It truly is state-of-the-art in styrene plastic molding. It even surpasses Tamiya to set a new standard of quality. And the detail is 100% accurate to a tee.

Randy

For instance: The display shown to the pilots before the Battle of Yavin. Not only is it simple line drawings (the first computer-generated special effect used in a feature film, actually) but it's inaccurate. It shows the Death Star laser eye at the equator, which is consistent with the early sketches but not with the filmed version. This should have been replaced with a more realistic fly-through simulation. We have these even today, after all.

I remember reading somewhere that what the line-drawings show is the main engine of the Death Star, which was located on the opposite side of the superlaser, and centered on the equator. Since every shot of the DS from the movies is from the superlaser side, this is a detail that is almost always overlooked or forgotten. ( I wish i could find something to back this up. Come on, help me out here.

Hey Greg,

Check-out this litney of conversation on the attached link below.

The comments are directed at a feature that shows up in the 32" movie model, but to-date I haven't seen in the 5' studio scale version. I would speculate that Fine Molds harvasted most of their references from the larger - easier to photograph 5 footer. The guys who frequent the Starship Modeler site are pretty passionate about their Sci-Fi kits so they undoubtedly know their stuff. Obviously so since they picked out a 3-4 degree incorrect angle on the mandibles in the Fine Molds kit. But again, this is when comparing to the 32" model. One of these guys has actually tried to contact Fine Molds to tell them that they made an error. I can't understand the motivation behind that. My advice would be this... "Just be grateful that you finally have one of the most perfect model kits around and be doubly happy that it's a Sci-Fi subject and not another Tamiya aircraft kit." Also, the comments about the radar dish and shape of the aft section of the entry ramp and really not worth it. But despite these things, those guys over at Starship Modeler are a wealth of info on the Millenium Falcon. If you're building the FM kit, you really should spend some time over there.

Randy

http://starshipmodeler.net/cgi-bin/phpBB2/...pic.php?t=34924

That's the thing. There are usually a number of models of different sizes used for different shots. It's not uncommon for them to differ from each other in small ways and also be different from full size mockups and the sets used with the actors. So, how can one plastic model be 100% correct when the studio models aren't even the same?

That's the thing. There are usually a number of models of different sizes used for different shots. It's not uncommon for them to differ from each other in small ways and also be different from full size mockups and the sets used with the actors. So, how can one plastic model be 100% correct when the studio models aren't even the same?

Bingo Dave!!! You hit the nail right on the head. On one hand I give the guys over at Starship Modeler huge kudos for really knowing their stuff about the Millenium Falcon, but on the other... as you said, they used many models during the actions scenes (probably used computer models in the Special Edition films) and no two vehicles were identical - so why the negative horn blowing? There's a darn good possibility that Fine Molds collected their reference material from the large model and pegged the details 100%, but when compared to the smaller versions they appear "off".

Randy

Thanks Randy,

You're right, they appear quite knowledgeable. Too late for me though, I've already given it the basecoat. Maybe for my second one? (I always try to obtain at least 2 FM SW kits, you never know when they might go back to WW2 only!).

Greg

The trouble with all of this is that you can never find a "walkaround" style guide for a lot of the SW tech.

The Millenium Falcon was portrayed using various FX models, full-size mock ups, and background paintings, all of which vary in detail and proportion, depending on the specific shot required. It is like trying to nail down the design of the Emerald City from The Wizard of Oz.....The last guy to glue a busy detail part to a MF model in the studio determined the look for THAT prop, and it all turned out great!

:unsure: C.G. ARE FOR VIDEO GAMES! B)

Damn that felt good!

I remember reading somewhere that what the line-drawings show is the main engine of the Death Star, which was located on the opposite side of the superlaser, and centered on the equator. Since every shot of the DS from the movies is from the superlaser side, this is a detail that is almost always overlooked or forgotten. ( I wish i could find something to back this up. Come on, help me out here.

Interesting explanation, especially since I've always wondered how the Death Star gets around. I'm pretty sure that in the real world, it was an error: the original Joe Johnston sketches (if I remember correctly) explicitly state that the laser eye is on the equator.

It still seems like something that should've been jazzed-up in the Special Edition, though. Heck, they could just use a saved "film room" clip from the Lucasarts X-Wing game, which included (as I recall) a Battle-of-Yavin set of missions...

Hey DErickson,

Check this out...

Randy

http://www.studioscale.com/referencephotos.htm

I would give some semi-valuable body parts for a definative MF Walk Around Guide. The MF has been built in more sizes than I care to remember, with vast differences between them. Yes, I'm one of the nut cases. No, I am not hacking my MF apart to correct it. Tho' I would love a set of PE details for it.

Tho' I would love a set of PE details for it

So true kylwell,

The only thing that I'd like to see is a photo-etch set for the engine exhausts on the rear deck. When you look at photos of the 5' studio model this detail is plainly obvious. When I saw the price tag that Fine Molds stuck on this kit I really thought that photo-etch and interior exhaust details would have been included.

Randy

Thanks for the link, Randy....I stand corrected! That definitely looks like the ship that blasted its way out of Mos Eisley......

As to the Death Star, I always thought the lack of an obvious tailpipe made the thing even more menacing. I need to view Ep 4 again to see if the rebel mission briefing sequence shows a large polar port (indicating an engine on the "bottom?").