WORST Airline paint scheme

While Cmjets has a thread up for your "Favorite" Airline or Special Airliner Paint scheme....

On the other hand - Which one do you think is the "WORST" one. Whether it be an original Airline Paint sheme, one that changed and you can't stand it or a special paint scheme you think just looks like it was did by a herd of Monkeys. :D

Lets hear your opinions & be sure to post pictures so we can all see how bad they are. :D

Edited by Jester00

I really hated UNITED AIRLINES "Blue/Grey Bird" paint scheme they went to. Just has no spark to it. Looks like they painted it that color to avoid having to wash it as often.

united19qp.jpg

I much prefered their old white paint scheme - looks more "Classy" to me for some reason.

united22od.jpg

<S>!

Edited by Jester00

Well, my own company's "Utopia" designs have to take some flak here.While there were a few nice ones,some looked as if the designer was on acid at the time. That Southwest scheme with the purple/red/gold is pretty garish too.

Stephen

I really hated UNITED AIRLINES "Blue/Grey Bird" paint scheme they went to. Just has no spark to it. Looks like they painted it that color to avoid having to wash it as often.

I much prefered their old white paint scheme - looks more "Classy" to me for some reason.

Jester

Agree with you totally about the UAL scheme...battleship gray just doesn't fly with me. :(

Yuk

I don't like the way a lot of airlines are going to an all over white scheme (JAL, AC, Lufthansa, El Al, Air France, ad nauseum). It so BORING! What ever happened to some colour, boby stripes, funky logos. Only slightly less worse is NWA new mock-BMF paint job. I thought the bowling shoe colours were rather eye catching.

Already been said, but the WORST scheme is also the most common.

All white fuselage. BOLD fuselage titles. Most of the tail painted the same color as the titles. Nacelles likely that color too. If it's not medium blue, then it will be red.

Yeesh, you can see 10 different airlines parked at the gate, and half will be that scheme in blue, half in red. The only difference will be the font.

Also--I REALLY hate the "oversized" logo trend, typified by UAL and NWA n/c. I have yet to encounter anyone who recognizes the UAL logo--even though it's the same one as the past 30 years, once it's double-sized on the tail, people don't recognize it.

PS---I *like* UAL grey/blue, mainly because it's the opposite of Euro-white. (The term commonly used to describe the boring scheme, for Air France was the first major airline to do something like that, and Europe is still the #1 place to find it)

Other things that suck: All silver fuselages. Looks horrible IMHO. Bare metal is the only option if you want a "silver" look. Of course, don't be like AC and expect a 25 year old Boeing to look good after stripping.

Also--"hey look, our planes aren't all-white, they're off-white." See JAL n/c. It looks more like someone screwed up the batch of pigment, rather than purposely making it not-white.

PS---I think the best schemes were all used in the 80's. STRIPES. Thick, colorful stripes. UAL. Eastern. Continental. USAir. KLM. Paint the top and bottom whatever color you want (but usually white/white, white/grey, or white/bare) but have some nice thick colorful stripes going down the side.

I also really like when the color continues up into the tail in an unbroken line---EA stripes, CO gold, NW red top, USAir triple-red.

Edited by David Hingtgen
Already been said, but the WORST scheme is also the most common.

All white fuselage. BOLD fuselage titles. Most of the tail painted the same color as the titles. Nacelles likely that color too. If it's not medium blue, then it will be red.

Yeesh, you can see 10 different airlines parked at the gate, and half will be that scheme in blue, half in red. The only difference will be the font.

Also--I REALLY hate the "oversized" logo trend, typified by UAL and NWA n/c. I have yet to encounter anyone who recognizes the UAL logo--even though it's the same one as the past 30 years, once it's double-sized on the tail, people don't recognize it.

PS---I *like* UAL grey/blue, mainly because it's the opposite of Euro-white. (The term commonly used to describe the boring scheme, for Air France was the first major airline to do something like that, and Europe is still the #1 place to find it)

Other things that suck: All silver fuselages. Looks horrible IMHO. Bare metal is the only option if you want a "silver" look. Of course, don't be like AC and expect a 25 year old Boeing to look good after stripping.

Also--"hey look, our planes aren't all-white, they're off-white." See JAL n/c. It looks more like someone screwed up the batch of pigment, rather than purposely making it not-white.

PS---I think the best schemes were all used in the 80's. STRIPES. Thick, colorful stripes. UAL. Eastern. Continental. USAir. KLM. Paint the top and bottom whatever color you want (but usually white/white, white/grey, or white/bare) but have some nice thick colorful stripes going down the side.

I also really like when the color continues up into the tail in an unbroken line---EA stripes, CO gold, NW red top, USAir triple-red.

You got that right, buddy. The White Whale look is terrible.

Let's see... I didn't care for the final TWA scheme (Not TWAmerican, the other one), I don't mind the Delta Wavy Gravy unless it's on an MD-80, that nose is too big to be all white. The Grey United wasn't so great, I also pefer the classic stripes, and don't like freeform patterns, like the wavy gravy spilling onto the fuselage from the tail on Delta, or where the demarcation between colors doesn't flow with the aircraft lines, but follows a random, swooping pattern.

I can't pick the worst though, and I don't hate any of them. I admire American for remaining traditional.

I don't like a lot of those Eurowhite jobs. Air France's looks good, when they keep their planes washed, but everyone else just HAD to copy them. I like the cheatline schemes of the 70's and early 80's a lot better (Pan Am, Lufthansa, United, American, etc.). United's new white/blue job looks great, but the gray top scheme was too dark. As for Delta, I like their new tails, but their fuselages would look a lot better with some color.

I happen to LIKE Southwest's Canyon Blue birds a lot. But I agree that their old ochre scheme looked pretty bad.

Justin

When have you seen an Air France plane that was washed? B)

PS--remembered why I truly hate Delta n/c. The white/bare separation line. The curve at the nose is POINTLESS and looks like they forgot the stripe. The previous schemes had the white part curve at the nose to parallel the stripes and black nose. Now it still curves--but it's not paralleling anything. It looks like it's curving to avoid/highlight/intersect some other part of the scheme---but there's nothing there. It looks like they were all rolled out of the hangar before "something curved" was added to the front end, and there's just a plain white curved background waiting for something to be painted on.

Edited by David Hingtgen

The origanal Canadian Armed Forces Airbus 300 (330?) All grey with 1980 starfighter types roundels, flag (whites removed)and all red Canada word mark.

Even the Patrick Martin Canadian Forces modelling bible called it the uglyest markings in Canadian history.

The newer scheme with the grey lightling bolt is a positive step forward. :cheers:

The origanal Canadian Armed Forces Airbus 300 (330?) All grey with 1980 starfighter types roundels, flag (whites removed)and all red Canada word mark.

Even the Patrick Martin Canadian Forces modelling bible called it the uglyest markings in Canadian history.

The newer scheme with the grey lightling bolt is a positive step forward. :banana:

This one?

150004-a310.gif

This one?

150004-a310.gif

Yeah - that would be it. One of the main reasons I haven't done a 310 is because I don't like any of the schemes they wear, and that one is right at the bottom of my list.

The current Canadian Airlines and Thai ones aren't too crash hot, the BA world tails were also a shocker. There are others but they don't come to mind at the moment.

:unsure:

Ray

Current Canadian Airlines? I'm thinking your referring to the current Air Canada Lavatory Blue colour they have?

"Look Daddy - that plane's the same colour as the toilet water!"

Yeah - whoever thought of that should be strung up. Probably the same person who thought getting Celine Dion for the advertsing campaign last spring when they rolled it out.

Jagman - former Winnipeger! I guess I shouldn't tell you its been a really mild winter up here, eh?

Grant

Hey Grant,

It's the Speckles in the paint that make it so special. :rolleyes:

I agree the current AC scheme isn't too hot. I kinda feel light in the loafers working around them. The BMF scheme is a test to see if the weight savings will work. I like it only because they are not going after my pay cheque again, so that one is a matter of perspective. ;)

:cheers:

Emil

Jagman - former Winnipeger! I guess I shouldn't tell you its been a really mild winter up here, eh?

Grant

I have close friends living in Dauphin and a Niece in Ste Anne's... and they constantly remind me of what I'm missing!