Trumpeter´s Su-27 Flanker in 1/32

Hello everybody!

I was forced to take a short timeout from modelling. At first it was uni and then I caught the flu which nailed me to the bed for almost a week... Not very exciting. :deadhorse1:

First of all thanks for all your kind words and comments anyway.

Now I´m back with some update on two things I´ve been working on lately.

The first is the port wheel bay. All the tubing in the front section has been added and primed with the base tone in order to make the metal easier to paint with a brush. One tube will only be added after this is done so it won´t obstruct access to all spots where detailed painting is needed.

This one´s without it:

1d3684e8.jpg

Here another one with the tube - it´s pretty much gonna look like this in the end:

d391be1f.jpg

Second is the small recess behind the nose wheel bay which had entirely been omitted by Trumpeter. At first I cut out the main hole. After that I glued the little cake to the inside of the fuselage and finally I glued the tube in its place with a little tilt and removed all excess material. Right now that leaves me with but a few cosmetic corrections in order to complete this detail. I also added some handles made of metal foil to the lids where they hadn´t already been by default.

2ef50403.jpg

That´s all for now. Hope you enjoy it and I´ll be back with some more after the painting and the rest is done. Decalling on the engines is also in progress and after that I should be pretty much done with the bottom side...

Greetings and have good time!

• 5 months later...

Getting back here - It´s like coming home from a long holiday. So many unfinished things I´ll have to pick up after all these months, but I´m well motivated to put her to the finishing stage and last but not least there has been a little bit of progress in the meantime.

I´ll have to get back into all those builds I had been following half a year ago and I´m also really interested what´s become of those!

Life has become a little more colorful around here:

betthupferl1.jpg

And here the vegetation has grown slightly more dense. It´s still a work in progress as one pipe and a few clamps are still missing. Try and compare with the original photos to spot them. ;) Essentially, that´s what I´ve been doing here over and over again to cook those spaghetti right. :wacko: (That odd green shape on the left in the wheelbay for example is made out of no less than 15 single parts)

betthupferl2.jpg

Anyway, I hope to present more soon! Greetings to all you ARCers and have a nice time modelling!

:cheers:

Edited by upupandaway

Hi Wasserfall,

long time no see. I´ll have peek into your thread to see what´s going on there now. With the weather turning ugly again in these parts I´ll probably have some time left for modelling.

Blackcollar,

the joints are mostly made out of foil although I sometimes use tape. I find it more suitable for thicker wire where you don´t risk to deform it while yo´re applying the tape. Since most of the very thin pipes here are at least partially put into shape before they´re glued it´s much easier to bend those joints and then slip ´em onto the wire/pipe.

Greetings and thanks for the kind words!

Edited by upupandaway
  • 3 weeks later...

After resuming a certain routine I was able to finish the plumbing work tonight and will only have to construct the support for the gear on this side like I already have done starboard. That´ll be all before I can continue but nonetheless quite fiddly, so it might again take a while until I get it done. I can imagine that at the speed this build progresses with and with so many tiny updates like this it may become a little hard to follow sometimes but this really helps me stay focused and motivated throughout the process of this with all the countless stepstones set here for myself.

DSC01423-1.jpg

DSC014301.jpg

After only a little more work this was ready for painting and a bit of re-scribing panel lines. No big deal in itself but I had to make another new blue paint that looks exactly like the old paint (that went all dry by some unlucky circumstances). After many, many steps of mixing I finally got there and so I also made some color corrections to the rudders where I had used a slightly darker and less beautiful blue tone as a replacement before. I´m much happier with the way it looks now as there´s no visible difference anymore. This detail here, however, had been completely omitted.

DSC01410.jpg

The masking seems to have been a little faulty - I´ll correct that sometime.

Have a nice time all of you!

Edited by upupandaway

Man i'm almost having a deja vu:)

Knowing how fidely this kind of work is i can only say RESPECT!!!!!!!

Your true about getting lost sometimes with al those corrections an addon's

but at the end it will pay off,...... i hope.:thumbsup:

But as i see your build is coming almost to an end (i hope mine did, i have to keep focusing)

Cheers!!!

One more update for this build before I finally go to bed.

Same as before on the other side, I did a little washing on the wheel bay - not too strong, but so it would look a little dirty. On the photos of real Flankers that I´ve seen, the wheel bays are mostly quite clean. The decals were again improvised from a replacement stencil sheet and apllied using Micro Set/Sol.

DSC01456-2.jpg

Ok, you´ve probably seen a few photos of the engines before, but while doing the washing on the wheel bays, I simultaneously contrasted the panel lines in this section (using all of my four arms). While not anything really new or very prominent I find it worthy to mention that this is one detail I have found in many photos which I had checked for reference. The engine sections are usually quite individual parts on a Su-27 and while I have no shots of this particular aircraft, I found it to be the most convincing if I just do it like that. Most photos show a quite dark panel line between most panels (from dirt, oil or whatever).

After that I gave the area a nice clear coat so I can mask it again in the future when I start filtering the camouflage. Tamiya Smoke, strangely, could never be masked (even with the excellent Tamiya tape) without any damage to the surface.

There you go:

DSC01452-2.jpg

I will now finally turn from this and continue especially with the rudders on the top side and the engines so that the main corpus may become a bit more completed.

have a nice time all!

Edited by upupandaway

Hi there,

and thank you! This update looks like a bigger leap forward and indeed many hours of work on the model had to be spent up to this point during the last few days.

Decals are taking quite some time:

Very little specific reference and only some rather inaccurate, but still helpful general information about stencils after a camouflage respray on russian Su-27 kept me guessing what I should leave out and what had to be there. Closely examining the photos from the DVD I found that there also are numerous tiny stencils all over the fuselage. Given that after a respray roughly 70-80% of the 80s stenciling is reapllied (thanks kotey!) I chose to include those mini-stencils into my calculations and only leave out fewer of the bigger and more prominent stencils.

The tiny ones are not included on any decal sheet and anyone attempting this would have to be considered a loco. That goes even beyond re-doing rivets or spending 200$ on aftermarket stuff as there must be hundreds and hundreds of those.

The LH decals are excellent - very detailed, thin and yet easy to apply and they will settle down onto any surface structure (with a little softener, of course). Nevertheless they do not incorporate all the stencils I had found in my reference photos and so I ended up buying the sheet five times in order to have a sufficient supply. I´ll show you some photos although this is still a WIP:

dec2.jpg

dec4.jpg

I also found that the gap between fuselage and tailerons has to be filled since on the original no such gap exists. Decals in that area will have to wait a little more and then I think I´m gonna try to apply a filter and carefully lighten up the camouflage together with the decals a bit. Anyway, I´ve never done anything like that before and I do not really have any idea about how I can get there. I have already started another thread about my issue but I´d still be grateful for any suggestions.

Hopefully back soon - I wish everybody a nice time!