English Electric Lightning F-6

Thank you all for your continued encouragement and patience (yes Jake, even you ;) ) and can I just appologise for not replying sooner. The main reason I haven't posted any progress shots is the complete lack of anything worth showing. I usually like to have at least an hour to set up the painting and plan each stage before acctualy putting brush to paper, especially if I haven't had a chance to work on it for a few days. Due to various factors I've had very little spare time to myself lately, something that leaves me frustrated and in the wrong frame of mind to do any painting, which in turn frustrates me even more and makes it even less likely that I'll do anything worthwhile :lol: Strange thing is I can quite happily bash away at a kit when I'm in that sort of mood though, hence the progress on the Firefly for the Korean War GB :huh: Must be my 'artistic temperament' :D

Anyway, enough whining. Here's the result of making a couple hours for myself this evening;

P1010003-1.jpg

EDIT - Not quite sure why the initial post was of the Firefly kit but at least it's sorted now. Might be something to do with the fact it's gone midnight here!

Edited by Col.

I'm always amazed Col at the detail you get in your paintings. Looking first class. When you finally do get the time for all these interests you find you've traded off something else that you can't get back. That would be your youth. :thumbsup:

:)

DAMN nice to see you are almost finisched with this one :(

I like it a lot, cheers on your painting skills and the fact that you want to share your in progress, makes it a bit more understandable on how you go about it making those beautifull paintings my friend.

Thanx for letting us knowing your still working on it. I just hope that you finisch this one any time soon B).

Greetz STB

Frederick Jacobs

Awesome job Col, you did the old girl proud. The Lightning is one of my favorites. I'm working on an aircraft on the other end of the beauty scale, a Ju-187. Difficult to get information on the design since they were never built. What's next on your list of aircraft?

Ah, another beauty Col. :wave:

Some of the details are splendid.....I love the subtle reflections in the fuselage of the missile, ladder and re-fuelling probe. Quite brilliant.

The cockpit, nose gear and main gear are tremendous. Almost photo-realistic......it mystifies me how you manage such clarity in water colours. BRAVO!! :P

I know that you were n't sure early on about the various colours on the nose cone, ladder and missile caps but, FWIW, I think the balance is great. I found my eye wandered from detail to detail without being drawn to one place in particular.

All in all another spectacular painting, very well done mate. :wave:

:huh:

ATLAST!! Looks fantasticulous! I love the cockpit area, the lovely reflections in the canopy look real...and I've said it before and I'll say it again but who'd have thought that purple would fit so nicely into a painting like this. You've used it quite generously on the wing root and it appears on the markings but it just looks so totally natural.

Wonderful style you have. I forgot to check up on your Sea Harrier picture but did you manage to do any prints?

Cheers gents :wub: Bit out of character for me to post without showing an update so appologies if anybody feels cheated but I'm at work just now and wanted to thank you all for the support and assistance given. I honestly could not have come so far so quickly with this one, or 'First Light', without it :lol:

Clave, can we expect to see a Lightning profile or two soon?

John, thanks again buddy. I haven't forgotten about that remarque, honest.

FrereLeO, from one artist to another, thankyou. I'm still in awe at your Mirage.

Neu, sorry I havn't been in touch for ages but speak to you soon. The new series goes from strength to strength every time I look.

Frederick, glad you've enjoyed watching. Hope you're going to have a go at this yourself? Any questions, just ask. I'll try to explain the planning phases better in the next project.

Gray, good luck with the 187, I know you will do a stunning job. (Guys, find your way over to eHangar and have a look round the gallery. You'll understand why I'm so sure ;) ) Next on the list is something involving Spitfire's from 602 Sqn. Gonna post some rough sketches soon to canvas opinion. Then it's likely an Su-27, which you can thank someone else on this list for :cheers:

Geedub, a special thanks to you. Your PM made me think about issues I would have otherwise missed. There is a little more to the intake than the photos show but that's down to my ham-fisted camera skils. Loving that '27 by the way.

Jake, patience is a virtue mate :P As for 'First Light', I was never 100% happy with the printers but there should be a new development on that front soon. Well, as soon as I get my finger out and finish this one. I'll let you all know ASAP. Now go and get on with that SHAR of yours, it looks stunning so far and I can't wait to see more of your micro-engineering.

Edited by Col.

Hi Col.

you have done a really stunning job on your Lightning as usual. I have watched your progress on your SHAR and now this project, and it is truly inspiring. I am extremely envious of your talent. The Lightning is a special aircraft to so many people, and you have done it real justice. Nice one mate!!

Kind Regards

Andy B)

Ok guys, honesty time. Tell me exactly what you think.

I'm going to call it finished and put it away for a while so I can return to it with a fresh eye.

P1010003-2.jpg

Andy and Clave, thank you both. Admire both your work here and look forward to seeing more.

Col hi

Stunning work, even more so as its in watercolour. I don't think it

needs any more doing, other than the one thing that bugs me.

The black of the nose cone seems too black, and without any kind

reflection. This makes it very stark and standout perhaps more so

than it should.

Great work, whats next (once the Firefly is finished) ?

Pete

The black of the nose cone seems too black, and without any kind

reflection. This makes it very stark and standout perhaps more so

than it should.

Great work, whats next (once the Firefly is finished) ?

Cheers Pete. In reality it's not such a deep uniform black, there are a few reflections and highlights my ham-fisted camera skills just can't show.

As for next up, I had hoped to start a serious study of a 602 Sqn. Spitfire attacking He-111s but now my mate wants me to paint his Tornado GR-4. Nice dilema to have I suppose :bandhead2:

What about yourself? Can we expect to see a return of your Mustang's or do you have something else in mind?

Thanks Anthony, what you working on yourself just now?

As for next up, I had hoped to start a serious study of a 602 Sqn. Spitfire attacking He-111s but now my mate wants me to paint his Tornado GR-4. Nice dilema to have I suppose :D

What about yourself? Can we expect to see a return of your Mustang's or do you have something else in mind?

Both those sound interesting projects. I must be knocking around with the wrong blokes, my

mates drive hatchbacks and 4x4's.

I'd go with the Tornado as you can't beat the kind of reference you mate might be able to offer.

As for me the Mustang will reside in the incomplete file, just too much with it I don't likem although

it was a valuable learning exercise.

Next up a baby Tornado

comp1a.gif

Sorry to hijack your thread, I'll get one going re the Hawk when I have a bit more to show

Pete

As for next up, I had hoped to start a serious study of a 602 Sqn. Spitfire attacking He-111s but now my mate wants me to paint his Tornado GR-4. Nice dilema to have I suppose :cheers:

You could always combine the two ideas...a pair of GR-4's coming in low and fast over a German airfield as a flight of He-111's begin their takeoff runs to bomb London...those Germans would never know what hit 'em... :D

Seriously, though, this piece ranks up there with your SHAR, which my wife was convinced was a photo when I showed her the finished piece in that thread. I'm seriously amazed when I watch these pieces develop and I'm glad you take the time to walk us all through the process. You're definitely one of the folks who give me a benchmark to strive for in my own artistic efforts. :angry:

Ok guys, here's a few tweeks to the painting based on advice.

P1010003-3.jpg

Bentwaters, Gray, David, :cheers: Glad you all like it guys.

Pete, no bother mate. Looks an interesting angle you've got there, any plans for colourscheme or scene yet?

BAM'n'IVM, ha ha, sort of 'Final Countdown' for this side of the Atlantic? You're an artist too? Any chance of posting some of your work?

Jeff, give me a PM and let me know what you're thinking ;)

Edited by Col.
You're an artist too? Any chance of posting some of your work?

Maybe - I've gotta carve out time to do my own stuff instead of doing "favor" design projects for friends. I've mostly been doing logo design and illustrations for them instead of drawing for my own enjoyment.

Maybe I can find photos of some of my stuff from a few years ago and post it here.

Who knows, maybe I'll post an airplane drawn within this century :cheers:

That is just MARVELLOUS Col. I've always liked the Lightning and this really does the aircraft justice.

I must have sat here for nigh on 15 minutes just drinking in all the terrific detail. I think I'm done and then I notice something else :lol:

The cockpit detail is almost photo-realistic as is the landing gear, the shadows on the nose wheel and oleo are absolutely spot-on.

I'm very impressed by the subtlety of the panel lines under the belly and one of my most favourite areas is the reflection of the Redtop missile, ladder and re-fuelling probe in the metalwork of the fuselage.

The reflected light in the under wing area is beautifult rendered too, it positively glows...I could go on and on! :lol:

Terrific Col., thanks for taking the time to show us your work, it's a real pleasure to see.

:D

Edited by geedubelyer