English Electric Lightning F-6

Hello guys, remember this thread? It's been a while since I've had a chance to do anything due to wedding preperations and pressure of work upon my return from honeymoon but I should get back in to it this evening. In the meantime have a look at the thread over on eHangar while I try to figure out how the heck photobucket works :banana:

Splat!

Makes a change from all these Tomcats, huh? :banana:

Col., I just found this thread this evening and I must say it's been a fascinating journey. I've been able to watch your Lightning slowly progress as you added each small segment and I've really enjoyed it. Hopefully you'll get photobucket figured out (it's pretty simple) and post more updates here. All the best.

Col, it's jsut amazing...I cannot believe how can you do ANYTHING with watercolor :D :D :D As far as I remember, I was not able to do anything with it even not in the elemntary school :D

You're doing a great job, keep on updating! Do yo usell your paintings anyway?

Greetings, neu :blink:

Cheers again David :)

Neu, I am regularly stunned by your 'cats and can only marvel at what you are capable of with a computer. Perhaps it's just as well you don't work in watercolour, otherwize I'd be feeling rather incompetent :huh:

Right guys, here's today's fix of Lightning :D

P1010003.jpg

Just a few small details around the missile and the shadows cast by the ladder, next up is a return to the main fuselage. Let's hope I can remember what colours I was using in there :cheers:

Col

I design and draw for a living. But my work is purely technical.

Your artwork of the Lightning is simply awesome and I feel most humble to offer up praise.

:cheers: and very well done!

MikeJ

Edited by madmike

Thankyou Mike, it's always nice to be praised by a pro :D

P1010001.jpg

Little more work around the nose, getting ready to add the reflections from the ladder, missile and refueling probe :D

C'mon, Col, you cannot be serious! :cheers: I'm not even an artist in the traditional meaning! What I do is rather engineering than art :D To produce watercolor paints you have to be a real artist! Especially one like this! It's amazing, so I follow the progress with great interest!

Greetings, neu :banana:

I'm not even an artist in the traditional meaning! What I do is rather engineering than art :crying:

Now here I'm going to have to disagree with you there my friend. What you do may blur the boundries between science and art, but it is still very much an artform. There was a discussion about this on eHanger not long ago and someone made the point that the old masters were often the first to expand the boundries of art, your just continuing the tradition :beer4:

Here's the progress for today, the reflections went down faster than I expected so at least you didn't have to wait too long Frederick :worship:

P1010004.jpg

Edited by Col.

I like the way you've handled the reflection of the boarding ladder - I've been wondering how that element would turn out. I had to go back to page 1 of the thread to remember if you were working from a photo or not.

I see that you're not.

I stand amazed.

Here's the progress for today, the reflections went down faster than I expected so at least you didn't have to wait too long Frederick :D

P1010004.jpg

No I didn't :huh: :woot.gif:

thanx for the update I realy like seeing how this master piece is coming together I like this I might try this one day :blink:

I asume you use special paper to draw this on but you said somewhere that you mix different types of paint how do keep them from running on this paper? Or are you only using watercolor for this?

Just checking here

Greetz STB

Frederick Jacobs

Cheers again for the kind words lads.

BAM'n'IVM, there's a pile of various references I constantly flick back and forth through to figure out my next move, including some personal photos, but there's no single one that shows me everything I need. That tends to slow things down a bit but is great for really getting to know the subject. A lot of the sketches and notes I've made will come in handy when I dig out the Grand Pheonix kit from the stash :banana:

Frederick, yes there is special paper designed for this task. It's thicker than most other types of paper, almost like thin card, and has a slightly rough surface for the paint to adhere. This one has been painted almost exclusively in watercolour paint until now when I used gouache for the deep black of the intake, although that's just a thicker form of normal watercolour paint. Give it a try, you'll have a lot of fun experimenting!

Here's the last few evenings work. Spent a whole 3 hours toiling with the radar cone yesterday evening before giving up on it. 10 minutes this evening and I was happy with it :banana: Adding the intake ring shadow helped to balance the colours and tones of the cone but is such a drastic step I need to leave it for a while before going in there again to finish it off.

P1010001-1.jpg

Ok I have to look at it at my local art shop when I ever get there

ooh and ps nice update again you seem to go more rapidly towards the end of it I gues not much

more left to do then? :bandhead2:

Greetz STB

Frederick Jacobs

Ok I have to look at it at my local art shop when I ever get there

ooh and ps nice update again you seem to go more rapidly towards the end of it I guess not much

more left to do then? :cheers:

Greetz STB

Frederick Jacobs

Yes, seeing the end of a project does tend to spur me on a bit, speaking of which,

P1010004-1.jpg

That leaves the nose leg and the shadow on the hardstanding to do then I feel a return to plastic coming on. Mind you, last time I started saying that I turned to this one :cheers:

Hi Col.

It's terrific to see more progress on your Lightning painting. You're making a lovely job of capturing the look of metal in watercolours. I really like the way you use colour. I would never consider using shades of purple to represent shadow but it works superbly. This is another beautiful painting Col.

Can I ask, do you plan to add any detail within the intake shadow or will you tone it down at all?

Great stuff Col, I'm looking forward to more progress.

:blink:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

HOLY CRAP COLIN!

I step away from this part of the forum to cover a few airshows and WHAM! Look at how far you've come!

I have to say that the Lightning looks GORGEOUS!

You sir, have a talent that I only wish I had an ounce of!

I'm lucky if I can draw stick people! Hell, I can't even draw a circle! :)

Look forward to seeing the final touches of this wonderful 11 squadron machine!

Cheers mate! :D

John

• 2 weeks later...