Masked using Grant from West Oz's great Spitfire masks:

32427.jpg

Masks off after spraying Dark Green:

32428.jpg

32429.jpg

This is the first time I've used WEM paints for an entire project and it took me a bit to get used to them. The paint thickness from the tin seems to vary a bit. I thinned each color about 50/50 with lacquer thinner (which really helped the drying time compared to the last time I used WEM paint) and the Sky Grey was a bit thick, the Earth Brown was about perfect and the Dark Green was a bit on the thin side. Because of that I'm going to have to do some touch-up work with the Dark Green to get a little better coverage, particularly on the horizontal stabs and the starboard wing. All in all though I think it gives the Dark Green kind of a worn appearance. I'll have to see how it works out once I start weathering. Thanks for looking.

Lookin good David !

Glad to see your using the same camo method I have been using, all over brown then the green on top! Thought I might have been doing it wrong all this time, although your not preshading which is maybe the reason.

More pics when you have time please. :banana:

Doc

I should have some more tomorrow or the next day. I'm waiting for the weather to warm up just a little before I head back out to the garage to work on the paint a little more.

The group build does end on the first of March and not 28 February right? I may be taking it right up to the deadline to get my two done.

Edited by David Walker
The group build does end on the first of March and not 28 February right? I may be taking it right up to the deadline to get my two done.

Yep deadline date last thing March 1st so I will accept entries up to 23.59 March 1st GMT.

Fingers crossed for you David.

Doc

I fine tuned the green to darken it up a little and improve the coverage and then lightly post shaded both the green and brown with a slightly lighter shade. I should be able to gloss coat tomorrow and start adding the markings. Thanks for looking.

32457.jpg

32458.jpg

32459.jpg

VERY impressive, David! I especially like the post-shading effect. What formula did you use to lighten up the brown and green? I am assuming it was a base of the two colours with white mixed in. If so, how much white did you use? Looks great!

:blink:

J.C.

Thanks again for the kind words. I just finished gloss coating it but now have a two day trip to do (airline trip) so will finish up Sunday and Monday.

As far as the mix goes I did it very scientifically: I added two or three drops of white to the paint in my airbrush cup and shot on an old paint test model to get it about where I wanted it. The green worked out on the first try. The brown was way too light initially so I had to add some more of the straight brown to get it where I wanted it.