Glencoe Von Braun Retriever Rocket

Not that I recall, Mike - but that was 4 or 5 years ago.some of the tubing/piping was a wee bit fiddly....but it went together pretty well, considering the age of the molds. (50's? I think)

-Kevin in Indy

Wow, goofy little gadget indeed!

So is it actually based on a Von Braun design or did they just slap his name on it for marketing? (looks like it has some hard-science elements but overall resembles the typical sci-fi fanfare of the day)

Von Braun planned a manned expedition to Mars during the 50's. He designed 4 spaceships to undertake the mission with the retriever being one of them...

Von Braun's designs

:woo:

MikeJ

BTW - I have the Space Station & Lander, too. Complete & in the displaycase.

As well as the "Space Taxi" of the same vintage - and the "Willy Ley Passenger Rocket" which is coming up soon on the "to build" list. (Just as soon as I get the backedup traffic jam for the paint shop sorted out. *lol*)

-Kevin in Indy

{Pics can be posted, if anyone's interested}

Edited by Karaya-1

3 of the shelves from the stash - Real Space & Sci-Fi stuff. Yeah, some of it's a bit mixed together, but it's essentially a shelf of RealSpace, a shelf of assorted Sci-Fi & a shelf of Trek.

16.JPG

17.JPG

18.JPG

-Kevin in Indy

Th-th-th-that's all, folks!!! :thumbsup:

Edited by Karaya-1
  • 3 weeks later...

With the exceptin of the space taxi, the kits were issued in the late 50s. I remember building them when they came out. The moon liner was actually used as a base for a merry-go-round at Disneyland when it first opened. Disney, I believe also did an animated film on space exploration using most of the designs.

I just picked up the old space station but intend to modify it into another science fiction ship called a glaisphere from an early TV show I used to watch.

If i remember right the monogram space taxi came out in the 60s and was reissued in the mid to late 70s, and again in the 90s I think.