New BSG Viper Kit

I just recieved my Battlestar Galactica Viper MK. II kit from Starshipmodeler.com. It is in approx 1/72 scale, resin, with a vac-formed canopy that looks a little thick to me, we'll see what some polishing and Future dips will do. The kit looks GREAT in the box;very good details, especially the bays on the side of the fuselage. Good cockpit too, although I may replace the seat and figure (but I'll keep the head/helmet). There is a little flash, nothing that can't be taken care of with a minimum of effort. I'm looking forward to building this, it'll make a great contrast to the FineMolds X-Wing fighter in the same scale (who would win that one-my guess would have to go to the more experienced pilot).

A note in the instructions-they reccommend using an automotive primer first, then a lacquar-can anyone reccommend a primer-lacquar combination, name brands and stores where available, if possible

Felinoid

with a vac-formed canopy that looks a little thick to me, we'll see what some polishing and Future dips will do.

Felinoid

My bad, I didn't open the bag to really look at the canopy before making this post. There are two (count 'em, two) vac-formed canopies supplied with the kit, and upon a more detailed examination they are thin and crisp. The frame demarcation lines are a little vague, but I plan on following the manufacturer's reccomendations and will use decal film or tape for the canopy frame.

All in all, a neat little kit in unbuilt form. I will try and post pics when it is completed.

Felinoid

Gunze makes a resin version of their Mr. Surfacer primer called "Mr. Resin" and it is supposedly optimized to work best with resin pieces. I haven't tried the stuff I got, but I plan to use it on my 1/72 Viper kit when I get a chance. I have gotten through some of the assembly and the only bit that was a little trying for me was grinding down the pour stub inside the top engine housing to fit over the inner workings piece. A Dremel with a grinding bit did help this task to go faster though.

Could we see some pics please?

Sorry Charlie (couldn't resist), no digital camera, no scan, no nothing...although I suppose I could ask my extraordinarily beautiful sister-in-law (whom I have mentioned in other posts) who happens to be a professional photographer for a favor....we'll see.

At any rate, dry-fitting this kit is a joy, should go together no probs. BTW, I want to do the gun barrels in bare metal using MM metallics-should I apply directly to the resin surface or prime first?

Felinoid