Tamiya 1/48 Beaufighter Mk IF conversion finished!

She is done! This was actually a fairly enjoyable build. The Tamiya kit had excelent fit and almost fell together. The Eduard Zoom set really spruced up the interior. The scratch build ammo drums are at the most minimally visible in the final product, but oh well, we know they are there right? The CMK Mk IF conversion set was nice as well. The resin was well case and easy to work with. The fit of the horizontal tail pieces was iffy and required a good bit of pre sanding, filling and post sanding, but the finished product looks good. The Black Magic masks were a HUGE mistake. Not only did they not stick where they were supposed to, the few that I did end up using left horrible frosting and residue that I still have not been able to get off the clear parts. In fact, the one piece was so sticky, even after taking some of the tack off before applying it, that it pulled my entire canopy right off the plane, after everything was done! Boy was that a pain to try to reattach. It came out alight but not as nice as it had been before. I will never use their canopy masks again and I recomend that you don't either! Their camo masks were better, though the camo pattern was incorrect and I had to make my own for the fuse and tail. MM enamel paints, micron pens, tamiya smoke, oil pastels, EZ Line, and some doc johnsons weathering powders and she is done! Thank you all for your comments and encouragement during this build and the GB in general. 1 plane planned, 3 planes completed, not too shabby! Now its on to the Mosquito for the D Day GB before I mod the Heavies GB. Progress thread for this build can be found here. Thanks!

port.jpg

nose.jpg

portfuse.jpg

bottom.jpg

portwing.jpg

starboardfuse.jpg

Some more shots.

bottomwing.jpg

starboardtail.jpg

top.jpg

landinggear.jpg

bottomfuse.jpg

starboardengine.jpg

and the wheel that is off the ground in that pic, they are not glued in place, they can turn freely to prevent breakage, i just didn't make sure the flatened part was flat on the ground.

Edited by jrallman

Jay,

What can I say, another beauty from the Allman stable. Your getting quite a production line going of late, I'm impressed!

We can all appreciate the hard work thats gone into this Beau, pre shading looks spot on and the all over weathering job is first class. Luckily thanks to your progress thread we also know the inside looks as stunning as the outside!

Great job, I will update the gallery at once!!

Cheers

Doc

Wow, Jay, what a beautiful build you have completed! All that hard work has really paid off. That is one awesome Beaufighter you have made. Congrats on finishing. Thanks for sharing this most excellent thread with us. One of the highllights for me, for sure! :woo::banana: :blink:

:cheers:

J.C.

Top notch Jay! That is a great looking Beau :worship: . No doubt you did a great job on that kit and you should be proud of the results.

Nice addition to the BoB GB gallery! See you down at the D-Day threads and later at the Heavies GB threads.

Regards,

Don

That is a truely amazing job. I would never do that model...just not my cup of tea...but you really did it justice. The rusty exhausts I think are a high point. Very crisp and well done build. :rolleyes:

thank you all very much. I am particularly proud of the exhausts. I tried some new techniques and I think they turned out well, though maybe a bit too rusty for such a new plane, it will definately come in handy for later builds!