"Dr. Pepper good at 10, 2, and 4."

Hmmmm...I still don't get it.

-Mike

I'm slowly gathering that it's a reference to the low tempo that the campaign ultimately had, either in day-to-day operations (McNamara limited sorties) or overall (The US would bomb the stuffing out of North Vietnam, and then would happily get pulled to the peacetable by Hanoi, thinking that DRV was giving in to the campaign's graduated, "arm-twisting" pain-infliction. But Hanoi was merely stalling to rebuild their battered defense system, and then after a few days/weeks of fruitless diplomatic jawing, during which North Vietnam replenished their ammunition, weapon, and people supply, the whole thing would repeat itself). So it can be said that we gave them frequent 'breaks.'

Huh. Unless there's something I missed, that's not one of the sharper examples of Aviator wit, however.

Edited by Fishwelding

"Dr. Pepper" is an extremely uncomfortable situation where you have SAM radars active at "10, 2, and 4" o'clock, as in the old advertising jingle for the carbonated drink of the same name. The hazard is extreme because maneuvering to defeat any particular missile of the three makes you more vulnerable to one of the others.

:wacko:

"Dr. Pepper" is an extremely uncomfortable situation where you have SAM radars active at "10, 2, and 4" o'clock, as in the old advertising jingle for the carbonated drink of the same name. The hazard is extreme because maneuvering to defeat any particular missile of the three makes you more vulnerable to one of the others.

:D

That is an awesomely better explanation. I think I'll go with that one.

:crying:

Hmmm, good explaination. I often thought it referred to the (Unhealthy) habit of the White House mandated regular schedule of missions, as in the NV air defenses could set their watches by the USAF's attacks. I like your's better!

:) :nanner: As a kid, my parents told me the three times for "Dr. Pepper" were attributed to its ability to act as a laxative. I've been drinking Pepsi ever since. :worship: Ivan

:worship: :blink: As a kid, my parents told me the three times for "Dr. Pepper" were attributed to its ability to act as a laxative. I've been drinking Pepsi ever since. :cheers: Ivan

They probably also told you it was made with prune juice. It's not. Never has been. The old ad campaign for '10, 2 and 4' was to claim it would give you extra energy to get through the day, and those were the times you should have your Dr Pepper breaks.

Those are traditional low points in your circadian rhythm during the day. It is when your body temperature is at the lowest and thus performance is low.

Dr. Pepper is suggesting a boost in your blood sugars during those periods will increase your performance. Not a good idea. You'd be better off eating an apple. You don't want an instant spike.

This is a lesson I teach in Human Performance in Military Aviation.