airfix 1:48 spitfire mk IX test shots

http://airfix.com/cs/blogs/articles/archiv...2/20/27209.aspx

Here is the link to the test shots. I know this was recently discussed but I'm not sure a link to photos were posted the last time. Sorry if this has been posted before. I was over on hyperscale and reminded myself why I spend more of my time here. I got enough "I know the most", reading over there for another lifetime.

Ron

http://airfix.com/cs/blogs/articles/archiv...2/20/27209.aspx

Here is the link to the test shots. I know this was recently discussed but I'm not sure a link to photos were posted the last time. Sorry if this has been posted before. I was over on hyperscale and reminded myself why I spend more of my time here. I got enough "I know the most", reading over there for another lifetime.

Ron

I saw that post Ron, don't feel bad...I've decided its time to go experten hunting for know it all's

Edited by crazydon

I have not read anything on this kit. So I am a bit in the dark here. I wish the test shots were in a grey plastic and not that black. I find it hard to really see much with black. What are the general opinions of this kit so far, based on the test shots? Are we going to be able to do any version of the Mk IX with this kit, or are they going to box up different versions and make us buy them all?

Regards.

I have not read anything on this kit. So I am a bit in the dark here. I wish the test shots were in a grey plastic and not that black. I find it hard to really see much with black. What are the general opinions of this kit so far, based on the test shots? Are we going to be able to do any version of the Mk IX with this kit, or are they going to box up different versions and make us buy them all?

Regards.

No one really know's yet Don, the only peron I know who has one right now is a Airfix rep over on HS...he can't say till the kits released I guess...

I would expect different boxings...SOP for model companies

Regards.

At the UK Nationals the Airfix stand had sprue test shots you could touch and I was very impressed as it looked very accurate.The only two tiny flaws (which I could live with) were the inclusion of lowered flaps which you never see on a parked Spitfire,as well as the wing bulges for the post war large tyres a la Hasegawa which will require removal.The kit should come with two fuselages for both the lo and hi back IX/XVI.The engraving looked very nice on the test shots and I'm looking forward to it.

Stephen

It claims to be a IXc, but unless I'm mistaken those cannon covers are for an e-wing; I assume (or at least hope) that there are also c-wing bits in the kit. Sounds like there'll be anything from an early IX to a XVI. Put me down for few. :rolleyes:

Incidentally, following up that site, I came across this in the New Releases section of the same Airfix website: "70 th Anniversary of the Spitfire – 1:48 scale

* New gift set (Airfix code 08679) scheduled for summer 06

* A commemorative set to celebrate the 70 th anniversary of the first Spitfire. This set contains three Spitfires, including a NEW Mk I version, only available in this set, all in 1:48 scale. "

A new Mk I in 1:48, I'm up for that. As for the other two, it has to be perm any two from Vb, Vc/Seafire, new IX (certainty?), 22/24 and Seafire 4x. My money's on the IX and the 22.

Edited by MikeC
Does this Mark IX have regular wingtips or clipped ones? I'm hoping they have regular wings.

Looking at the test shots, it looks as though it might have different wingtip inserts, like the other 1/48 Spits, where one could use the regular span tips, or use a clipped wingtip? However, Airfix might make you buy a specific version of the kit to get the clipped wing insert, rather then include both tips in one box? All guess work at this point it seems.

I really do hope that Airfix grabs the ball and runs with it on this 1/48 Mk IX.

Regards.

The kit features separate wing tips and cannon blisters for all the Mk.IX E/C versions in one box.

The "bubbletop" was originally going to be an option as a cut-out/insert into the high-back fuselage, but the toolmakers made up an entirely new fuselage so that may well end up as a future kit in itself.

Edited by Jonathan Mock

So when can we expect to see these new Spits (Mk I and IX)? FSM's April issue lists the kits from various manufacturers that will be released between now and around November 2006. All I see under Airfix 1/48 is 3 different versions of the E.E. Canberra and 1 Martin B-57 (now they should be sweet :thumbsup: ...I hope!). Now I highly doubt this is a complete list, but do we know a time when we can all see some production shots of these kits? Like I said above, I really hope that Airfix gives us accurate and well fitting kits...especially the Mk IX. We can only hope :thumbsup: .

Regards.

So when can we expect to see these new Spits (Mk I and IX)? FSM's April issue lists the kits from various manufacturers that will be released between now and around November 2006. All I see under Airfix 1/48 is 3 different versions of the E.E. Canberra and 1 Martin B-57 (now they should be sweet :thumbsup: ...I hope!). Now I highly doubt this is a complete list, but do we know a time when we can all see some production shots of these kits? Like I said above, I really hope that Airfix gives us accurate and well fitting kits...especially the Mk IX. We can only hope :thumbsup: .

Regards.

The IXc was originally due July 05 then September 05,November 05 then Feb/Mar 06.it was to have been on the same slow boat from China as the TSR.2 but according to Hannants is not due for several more weeks yet. :angry: On the plus side having touched the test shots,the kit is accurate.Trevor Snowden crawled over five Spitfires to measure it.

Stephen

The airfix marketing department has sure kept a low profile on these kits. They have been in all mags with their Canberras but virtually silent with these spitfires. You would think that with the hysteria over being the chosen few for the TSR 2, they would be pumping up whats comming next to regain some market share.

Ron

Okay, now I'm back to excited again. Quite the emotional roller-coaster.

I hear you and totally agree! I go from being pumped at the prospect of getting some new Spitfires...to being a tad confused as to if they are indeed going to be all new or just add-ons to their existing kits :banana: . As Ron said above, Airfix seems really quiet in regards these Spits (Mk I and IX). With the recent 70th anniversary of the Spit, one would think that Airfix would have made a big effort to get these kits out there, or at the very least, let some info leak out to generate some excitement.

Regards.

With the recent 70th anniversary of the Spit, one would think that Airfix would have made a big effort to get these kits out there, or at the very least, let some info leak out to generate some excitement.

From the Airfix website:-

70 th Anniversary of the Spitfire – 1:72 scale

New gift set (Airfix code 08678) scheduled for spring 06

A commemorative set to celebrate the 70 th anniversary of the first Spitfire flight which contains four Spitfires and the S6B Schneider Trophy winner, all in 1:72 scale.

70 th Anniversary of the Spitfire – 1:48 scale

New gift set (Airfix code 08679) scheduled for summer 06

A commemorative set to celebrate the 70 th anniversary of the first Spitfire. This set contains three Spitfires, including a NEW Mk I version, only available in this set, all in 1:48 scale.

I would agree that they should be making more of these sets in terms of positive PR. Also puzzled as to why they would tool up a new kit and only make it available in a set.

Peebeep

Edited by peebeep
I would agree that they should be making more of these sets in terms of positive PR. Also puzzled as to why they would tool up a new kit and only make it available in a set.

Agreed, especially about the "new" kit being included as part of a set. One would have thought that it would be released, or at least attempt to release it, as a single kit first...like around now with the 70th Anniversary hoopla and such (strike while the iron is hot so-to-speak). Then again and within reason, I would rather Airfix take their time and make sure that it is good to go in the fit and accuracy department rather then rush it out.

Oh well...the waiting game.

Good thread and good info guys!

Regards,

Don

Just what is in that set? My guess with a late arrival of the new kit for 2006, it will only be available in that set for 2006 and by 2007 it will be released on its own. I'd also guess that the other two kits are older toolings, and this is just a way to sell a few more of these older toolings before they are retired and replaced with the newer variants.

It will be interesting to see what they turn out like. Airfix can be all over the map, but thier was nothing wrong with their last toolings of spitfire Mark 22/24 and seafires. So here's hopeing for something good.

Ron

I hear you and totally agree! I go from being pumped at the prospect of getting some new Spitfires...to being a tad confused as to if they are indeed going to be all new or just add-ons to their existing kits :D . As Ron said above, Airfix seems really quiet in regards these Spits (Mk I and IX). With the recent 70th anniversary of the Spit, one would think that Airfix would have made a big effort to get these kits out there, or at the very least, let some info leak out to generate some excitement.

Regards.

The Mk IXc is a new tooling.

Stephen :whistle: