What did you see today?

Just got back from a three day trip to Fresno (didn't take camera - already had too much junk to carry), Hotel was across the street from the airport and classes were on the otherside of the airport. The following was noted

Flying

Lots of smaller regional airliner types, R-22s, R-44s, MD-500s, Gulfstream G-V, AH-64, couple of King Airs (1 was a C-12), several 150s, PA28s and even a Tomahawk.

On the ground

C-17 parked in a remote area of the field (it arrived sometime during afternoon classes the first day and disappeared about the same time the next day.)

CANG had a bunch of F-16s on their ramp (you can only get glimpses of them - they put up a blast wall about 12 feet high that runs the length of their operational area) at one end they had a fenced off area on the street that contained a P-51, T-33, F-94, F-102, F-106 and an F-4.

The CA Army Guard has a depot level unit that had OH-58s, UH-60s, AH-64s, a Short Skyvan and a C-12 on the ramp. There was also an area that had some Hueys and Huey Cobras in it (most appeared to be hulks but several appeared to be in fair shape)

A helicopter outfit that had R-22s, R-44s, MD-500s and a couple of civilian Hueys (205/212 ??)

Plus the normal medium/larger airport collection of GA types (C-150 to Lear)

I also got to spend an hour at Phoenix Sky Harbor in the BOAC Lounge (hey it's the only designated smoking area on that side of the terminal) - the whole time, there were never less than 4 departing a/c in view at any one time - now I wish I had taken my camera.

Yesterdays picture

Today I saw a AFRC C-130H from the 914th Wing. First time I've seen the Niagra markings on the tail. I'll post a picture tomorrow.

8 RAF Jaguars turned up yesterday out of the 10 that was due. All in 6 Sqdn markings.

Bibay,

Who let you out of the lab?! Or did you knock out a section of the wall to put in a day-night indicator?

Nothing new here in the valley...just your standard Hornet/Superhornet gig...Been watching the Super demo practice everyday. He's getting better!!

Tank

my base visit to the 178th FW in Springfield fell through, but was able to get some launch, taxi and approach shots from the municipal airport and roadside. Here's one on approach....more later under its own thread

I'm looking forward to it, Ken. too bad your visit fell through. Next time you're in town, let me know and I'll make sure we get you on base. We can also do Wright-Patterson's transient ramp if you have time (although it's been rather empty lately :stooges: )

Jake

In 5 days at Andrews (not counting the usual DC F-16s and other resident aircraft)..........

Chinese President Hu's 747

A Tahi 747

E-8

Marine One, Air Force One, & President Bush (w/ binoculars)

USN DC-9s

F-18 (Stingers?)

Two-tone gray T-38

C-17s

C-5s

North American Airlines 767

Syracuse F-16 on our ramp (86-249)

Eglin F-15 w/ 2 live AIM-9Xs also on our ramp (sn# ????)

A-10s (unit unknown)

Various P-3s

A four engine Russian airliner

Chappie

Edited by Chappie

GC,

Off the topic, but a quick question for youin regards to the ARC forum profiles.

How do you get your personal picture to show up on your screen name/reply ID? Mine is listed and shows up under the personal picture, but not on the forum ID block.

Tank

Todays sightings include a RAFO BAC 1-11 which is the combi freight passenger aircraft, as can be seen by the freight door.

Also there is a VC10 tanker here for air to air tanker training with the Jaguars.

Arrived this afternoon were some Tornado F.3's and Harriers.

Also sometime the last 2 RAF Jaguars arrived.

Not quite an a/c but it's 'flying'. :crying: Anyways last night using my 10x50 binoculars i watched Suitsat sail overhead at a range of about 390km. Suitsat is the empty spacesuit that was discarded from the International Space Station a few weeks back. Not hard to tell that it was tumbling as there was variations in it's brightness.

Jari

Saw yet another F-22 tooling around the Marietta sky with an F-16 this morning. Too far away for a decent camera shot unfortunately.

Not quite an a/c but it's 'flying'. :woo: Anyways last night using my 10x50 binoculars i watched Suitsat sail overhead at a range of about 390km. Suitsat is the empty spacesuit that was discarded from the International Space Station a few weeks back. Not hard to tell that it was tumbling as there was variations in it's brightness.

Jari

Very interesting catch, Jari. I've caught the ISS and a few Iridiums before, but I never thought about trying to spot Suitsat. After the disappointment with the radio transmitter I kinda forgot about it. Time to get out the tracking software and see if I might have a shot at it before it gets converted to ashes.

:bandhead2:

Suitsat is making evening passes over North America currently, as is ISS and a new Progress supply craft has been sent to ISS. For those without tracking software, heavens-above.com is a handy place to get pass info on various orbiting objects.

Jari

C-17s, C-130's, C-5, C-21's, C20, KC-135 couple of UH-60s, some Cougars, couple of Spangdahlem F-16Cs, some Belgian A-109s and last but not least three C-23's. Lot's of C's actually.

Edited by Koen L
C-17s, C-130's, C-5, C-21's, C20, KC-135 couple of UH-60s, some Cougars, couple of Spangdahlem F-16Cs, some Belgian A-109s and last but not least three C-23's. Lot's of C's actually.

Ramstein??

Harald