What did you see today?

An Osprey. OK, not a tiltrotor, but a feathered one. We were hiking around a tidal pond, when my wife noted an Osprey circling. As we watched, he dove into the water, pulled out a pretty big fish and flew off to a nearby tree. Amazing to see. Really neat how they orient the fish to face forward while they are flying to reduce the drag. I had my camera, but it's so fast I didn't have a chance to get a picture. They look really fearsome in the dive, with their outer wings folded back and their claws out in front of them. The fish don't stand a chance.

Impressive. OK, sorry for the interuption, back to airplanes.

Phil

Well let's see now,here's what I saw flying yesterday..................

TBM Avenger

Spitfire

Hurricane

Me 109

Tigermoth

2 Fleet Finch

Sopwith Camel

Se-5a

B-17 Memphis Bell

C-47 W7

2 Beech Expidter

Chipmunk

German WWI aircraft (sorry,no idea what they were???)

Harvard Demo team

Probably more but my brain is still a little fuzzy!

Tony

EC-135 air ambluance flying into university hospital coventry (UK.)

Ironically we had just been up to the local airport to see what was about and found nothing, driving home, got a blow out on the left rear tyre, pulled into a car park to fix the flat.

About half way through the dam thing buzzed over the lot before I could grab a camera. A great sight none the less.

Saw a visiting "Flying Yankees" A-10 on the line at Martin State ARPT in baltimore, at the same time, a visiting UH-60 blackhawk was taxing past the line of A-10s, pretty busy for the MD ANG flightline.

about a dozen or so 52nd FW F-16CJs.

I was driving to class and noticed that the F-16s were farther down the ramp than usual, and that the tailbands looked different. As I got closer to the education building, I could see that they had SP tailcodes instead of SW and had the red and blue tailbands of the 52nd FW. There was also a jet marked up either as the 52nd FW or 52nd OG jet. I couldn't tell which.

I usually don't see that many aircraft stopping at Shaw (usually just one or two), and it was interesting to see Block 50s here that aren't assigned here.

Anyone know where they're going, or coming from?

Cool pics Moose, it reminds me of a time when I was about 10, we were at the Pt. Mugu Airshow and my younger cousin and I were up close to the "Columbia" and the Goodyear guys encouraged my cousin and I to "Lift" the blimp up,we protested at first saying"We can't pick this up!", "Sure ya can!" they'd say so we grabbed ahold of that rail that runs around the base of the gondola and sure enough, we picked up the Goodyear Blimp ! Boy,did we think we were strong !

Gregg

about a dozen or so 52nd FW F-16CJs.

Anyone know where they're going, or coming from?

Red Flag Alaska. I was there last week and it was a ghost town. The 77th was at Nellis and the 55th was still in Jordan.

Jake

How long do they stay in the US?

As from the 15th of june, the Spangdahlem F-16s are planned for a TDY to Buchel and the A-10s to LN due to runway works...

And we'd like to go and have a look as that would be cool to see that increased activity.

Greetings!

By the way today I saw the Kuwaiti Air Force L-100-30 (325) departing Maastricht airport, nearly half an hour to early and me just in time to get the thing in take off :)

Going to the police station for fingerprints, KC-135R at about 2,500 ft either circling or about 3 came into land at MacDill. Not sure if there was more than one as I couldn't continuously follow it but saw it multiple times. A lot bigger than you would think.

Matt

Red Flag Alaska. I was there last week and it was a ghost town. The 77th was at Nellis and the 55th was still in Jordan.

Jake

Ah, thanks for the info Jake. As for the ghost town, I was actually talking to my professor about it. He's a retired JAG Col and he mentioned how the 55th has been gone for a while, and how since 9/11 Shaw jets are always going somewhere.

I would have said that it would have been a good day to take pics of the 52nd FW jets, but we've been having some pretty bad weather in Scumter all week.

I would have said that it would have been a good day to take pics of the 52nd FW jets, but we've been having some pretty bad weather in Scumter all week.

I almost postponed my visit in order to catch the Spang jets, but my wife just had a baby so timing just didn't work. I don't remember when they're leaving or where they are going next. I think home.

Jake

I almost postponed my visit in order to catch the Spang jets, but my wife just had a baby so timing just didn't work. I don't remember when they're leaving or where they are going next. I think home.

Jake

I must have missed that announcement. Congratulations!

I saw (what I thought was) a KC-10, but I was at the drive-thru at the bank and the teller was chit-chatting and wouldn't shut up :cheers:, so by the time I got where I could see it, it was gone. It was really, really low, and the gear was down because I could see the landing light.

I was driving southbound on I-35 today, between Waco and Austin, when I saw what I swear was a partial Voodoo carcass on the back of a flatbed going the other direction. It looked like the nose section of an RF-101, missing it's canopy and innards, intact all the way back to the main spar. There was enough of the wing root to indicate the position of the intakes, but not much aft of that. It was in a sorry state, but still a shocker to see and recognize it!! I didn't chase after it, as I didn't have a camera, D'Oh!!! :cheers:

C-123K Provider. Northboard on the Ohio Pennsylvania border from Chippewa where it's based. Probably going to an airshow although it's not on the list for the Pittsburgh one tomorrow.

Mark

I just saw a F-18 (more likely a CF-188) buzzing around the Albany(NY) Airport. He (she?) had the gear lowered and the engines cranked. I'm not sure if he was doing touch and gos or maybe just stopping in for some gas. I see them parked occasionally at the airport, possibly a last stop before heading home?

Actually somewhat of a busy day today, at least by Vandenberg standards: I was out working on my Hase Tomcat when I heard engines, so I went outside and sure enough, there was a C-17 flying over. I have no idea if it was headed to the base because it was at a VERY high altitude. Then, as I was making myself lunch, I hear rotors. Usually I don't pay too much attention to rotors, because Vandenberg's resident Hueys are constantly buzzing around here, but this was louder. Ran outside and saw a two-ship of CH-47's (maybe they were Sea Knights I guess...helos at that distance with two rotors on top look all the same to me :() inbound to Vandenberg! These are acutally more rare than fast-movers out here. Last time I saw those out here was probably at least 10 years or more ago. Cool stuff!

Edited by TomcatFanatic123
Actually somewhat of a busy day today, at least by Vandenberg standards: I was out working on my Hase Tomcat when I heard engines, so I went outside and sure enough, there was a C-17 flying over. I have no idea if it was headed to the base because it was at a VERY high altitude. Then, as I was making myself lunch, I hear rotors. Usually I don't pay too much attention to rotors, because Vandenberg's resident Hueys are constantly buzzing around here, but this was louder. Ran outside and saw a two-ship of CH-47's (maybe they were Sea Knights I guess...helos at that distance with two rotors on top look all the same to me :thumbsup:) inbound to Vandenberg! These are acutally more rare than fast-movers out here. Last time I saw those out here was probably at least 10 years or more ago. Cool stuff!

CH-46's dude. :rolleyes:

Saw the C-17 today also when I was in Lompoc.....

Daniel

Only 1 pic, I was in middle Wisconsin the last few days and saw a few KC-135's on the refueling track, once with 2 F-16's playing catch up. On my way up I stopped at the State Patrol post north of Madison, and I caught 2 F-16's from the 115th FW on short final to Traux Field, not bad for cheeseheads...

Dells07020.jpg

Jeff

Edited by jefropas