I've got a question for anyone who cares to venture an answer. I'm in the process of building the 1:48 Academy Su-27. Things are going great so far, but I'm getting near time to paint. Now I am planning on doing the foil technique for the BMF that I've been reading so much on here for the engines as there is alot of area and I think the result could end up looking great.

My question is would it be best to mask the area off that is to be foiled, and simply paint the aircraft, then when all the painting has been finished, start foiling the engines? Would it be best to do the foil first instead? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this is the first model I've put a good deal of effort into and I would like it to turn out as stellar as possible.

Ryan-

I just finished my 1/48 Block 30's GE engine with the BMF, and I must say it turned out phenomenal...I have applied dulcoat/wash to it, and it looks great(can't figure out how to scale down my pics I took of it, because I so desperately want to post it here on ARC). I simply masked the engine off prior to painting, blasted my bird with the two-tone grey scheme, and then grabbed my x-acto and a soft cloth/q-tips, and cut appropriately for the engine and applied the BMF...laid down very well, no hang-ups, and when necessary snips and cuts were needed, only that portion came off-didn't tear into, nor shock the rest of the covered area.

Cheers

Ted

Maniac-

I am not sure if there is an actual article in the tips&techniques section ARC. I simply followed by the directions as called for BMF, and have even took to adding it on the pitot tube of my Viper...heck with some patient and determination, may also add a small portion to the the landing gear struts. The foil lays down very reponsive like, so have that q-tip/soft-cloth ready, as you can conform it or curve it around said surface. I am still toying around with the size reduction per the directions of our very own Ken Middleton, but I can't get it to work for me-so I will keep trying to post some pics in between building my F-16C 'fighting flanker.'

P.S.

Ryan-

I'd love to see that flanker once it's done man, post some pics

Edited by B-ONE27
Maniac-

I am not sure if there is an actual article in the tips&techniques section ARC. I simply followed by the directions as called for BMF, and have even took to adding it on the pitot tube of my Viper...heck with some patient and determination, may also add a small portion to the the landing gear struts. The foil lays down very reponsive like, so have that q-tip/soft-cloth ready, as you can conform it or curve it around said surface. I am still toying around with the size reduction per the directions of our very own Ken Middleton, but I can't get it to work for me-so I will keep trying to post some pics in between building my F-16C 'fighting flanker.'

P.S.

Ryan-

I'd love to see that flanker once it's done man, post some pics

Will do.