What did you just finish building?

Just finished, a really awful model, the Hobbycrap CT-142 (Canadair Dash 8)

The only thing that saves it is the wonderful Leading edge decals. I even had to paint the windows, everything in the kit is garbage.

Sounds just like their Hobbycrap Trackers!!!!

Tony

<_< I just finished building the 1/32 Hasegawa P-51D. I am also doing major repairs on an A4N Skyhawk that got really banged up. Still have quite a bit of work to do to bring it back to the world of the living. Ivan.

A 1/144 F-15. Can't say I'm too pleased with the detail on it. Panel and control surface lines don't match up on top and bottom of wings.

But, it was quick and it looks nothing like a stock F-15. Gave it thrust vectoring nozzles, vertical/horizontal stabilizers like the F-23, forward canards. Of course with the canards, I had to move the position of the M61 gun. So I took the crappy little centerline fuel pod and put the halves on top and slightly back of each intake and the right one holds the M61 and the left one the refueling receptacle. I turned the AIM-7's into quasi 120's and two of them into scram-jet powered -120's. I scratch built a JDAM (including the long rectangular fins on the bomb body....really technical name :thumbsup:) and also launcher rack for 4 LOCAAS (spelling?). Anyways LOCAAS are those small powered or un-powered weapons that find their own targets in the target area.

Finished it off with a jungle camo pattern on top and light/medium blue pattern on bottom. Not the best paint job i've ever done, but it looked a lot better and cooler than what this model would look like if I built it out of the box.

And then I gave it to my older brother as a christmas gift since he was back for the holidays from Ft. Bragg. I bought two, so the second one is going to be an updated version of the first. So far, for a 1/144 fighter, its going to look pretty cool I think. I'll have pictures of that soon.

Today I finished one Italeri HH-53C in 1/72. I used an old set of Microscale decals (72-444) to represent 601st Tac Combat Wing out of Greenhan Common U.K. (1982), and a whole bunch of scratch building to build this kit. It has been the worst case of AMS I have ever had ;) .

Dave Fassett

Before you argue, it's the pair of A-7s in 1/720 scale.

jan2007059.jpg

Also built the old Monogram 1/785ish CV-67 USS John F Kennedy to put them on, my first carrier with an airbrush finish. Used a lot of Italeri spare fittings and some left-over GMM PE for the radar mast. The ship's own mast has new yardarms from strip styrene. More aircraft on the way, but the real ship herself is about to be decomissioned within the next few months, so this is my little tribute to her.

Today I added final touches to my Revell 1/48 Messerschmitt Bf 100G-2, thus finishing it.

Looks pretty cool, regarding that it my first airbrushed model, and that I've used decal setting solution, lacquer and done weathering for the first time. Pics will come soon - my first submission to this website! :cheers:

About 45 minutes ago, completed my first build of 2007; the Tamiya 1/72 F4U-1D Corsair in overall US Navy Sea Blue. Built it 100 % OOB and even used the kit-supplied decals, which actually worked quite nicely!

Only major snarl-up with this build was some excessively grainy Polly Scale Clear Gloss. . .don't know why it came out that way, but in the final analysis it wasn't so terrible as to make me strip the paint and start over. In retrospect I should have wet-sanded it smooth, but I was having fun and, for once, wasn't feeling overly anal or obsessive-compulsively perfectionist.

Looks really good sitting next to the Academy 1/72 F6F-5 from several months ago, and I hope to soon add the Hasegawa 1/72 F4F Wildcat (just ordered some Techmod decals as well as Polly Scale USN Blue/Gray from Roll Models) to complete my "WWII Pacific Trio."

Cheers

Old Blind Dog

• 3 weeks later...

2 more Hasegawa 1/72 scale Phantoms. Both for the reserves group build, were the photos will soon be found.

F-4N VF-301 in Bicentenial colours.

F-4S VF-301 in Heater Ferris paint scheme.

2 more Hasegawa 1/72 scale Phantoms. Both for the reserves group build, were the photos will soon be found.

F-4N VF-301 in Bicentenial colours.

F-4S VF-301 in Heater Ferris paint scheme.

phantom you crank out these birds with clockwork consistency!

Do you build models as a profession?

Edited by model_madness

Can hardly believe I'm posting this. . .but after more than two years. . .

I just finished the Fujimi 1/72 F-84 F "MiG Killer"

The problems I had with this kit were NOT related to the kit itself; other than the crappy decals it's a very good one, and if I were to start another copy today I could probably finish it in about two weeks or so using after-market decals from Eagle Strike and Superscale.

No, the problems stemmed from my inexperience, and believe me, EVERTHING that could possibly go wrong on a build went wrong on this one! I used an Eduard Zoom PE set for the cockpit and it looked fantastic; got the fuselage closed up and (I thought) properly filled and sanded, prepared for a hand-brusehd NMF using Polly Scale ATSF Silver. This, too, looked amazing UNTIL I tried to apply decals. . .then everything went to total S***!!!!

I ended up stripping paint off this kit something like SEVEN times! Of course, all the stripping weakened some of the joint lines and I had to practically rebuild the whole thing two or three more times (using parts from two copies of the kit). The stabs simply would not stay attached, and I had to re-glue them four or five times. . .

I thought about chucking the kit many times over. . .but for some reason just kept it sitting on a shelf above my workbench. About a year ago I bought a rattle can of Tamiya AS 12, bare metal silver, and shortly thereafter, an airbrush. I experimented with spraying several types of acrylic NMF (Tamiya, Gunze, Polly Scale) but didn't like the results, then I pulled out the AS-12 and FINALLY!!!! had a decent looking finish that could actually be worked with!

Used a combination of after-market decals and did the basic scheme for "Mike's Bird" The plane sat on a shelf for another 9 months before I got around to putting wheels and drop tanks under it yesterday!

I used Citadel Mithril Silver to paint the gears, bay doors and drop tanks.

I was pleased to see that, at some point, I'd added enough weight to the nose to keep the plane from tail-sitting. The finished build actually looked half-way decent!

And do you know what the really insane part of all this is????

I WANT TO DO ANOTHER ONE RIGHT AWAY!!!!!

Cheers

Old Blind Dog

phantom you crank out these birds with clockwork consistency!

Do you build models as a profession?

Oh crap no. I do build for others, but I sure as heck can't live off commision builds. All they really pay for is more models for MY stash.