What did you just finish building?

A couple of 1/48 USN Phantoms....

F-4J Jolly Rogers. Hasegawa kit, Vagabond decals (stencils from the kit) and my version of Showtime 100 (Hasegawa kit & decals).

Both had Aires exhausts, and Aerobonus resin seat with the pilots moulded in, which were nice to use, but are missing oxygen masks / hoses and just look wrong. I didn't feel up to scratch building them, so left it. The Jolly Rogers bird came with resin intakes from the person I bought it from. Not sure what brand they are, but what a difference to the model they make. I am now hooked on those as additions to kits that don't have them.

For both, I pre-shaded (I know....) then on the Jolly Roger, for the first time on any kit of mine, I used an oil wash successfully. The photos don't show it very well, but in person it shows quite nice.

_DSC3610.jpg

_DSC3613.jpg

_DSC3611.jpg

Bikerider,

Those are a really nice trio. Being more of a F4 enthusiast, they drew my interest. Both are exceptionally well done. As you said, it's hard to see the weathering from such a distance. What I did notice is that the base gray color is different on each F4. Any reason for that other then perhaps choice of paint?

Joel

Kevin,

a very nice trio of aircraft. I'm assuming that they'll be hung or placed on a rod via a base. As you said, it's hard to see the weathering on the F4 from the distance you've taken the picture. But what does stand out is the difference in gray base colors. Is there a particular reason for that, or just the paint used?

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Thanks Joel. yes they will be hung from the ceiling in my room in my basement where my wife gives me free reign :-)

I prefer the look of planes in flight.

The two Phantoms were built in parallel - same steps at the same time on each, including using the same jar of paint on each. I used MM Acryl.

I think the difference in color is due to one of two things. Either the amount of clear (flat) coat I used on each - Showtime 100 got a little more I think. And the other thing I think is happening is just post-processing of my photo. I just clicked some auto settings in my photo editing software and my guess is because showtime is more black and white whereas the Jolly Roger has some small amount of colour, the software read the photos differently.

Glad you liked them. I wish my pictures showed the detail a little better, but I have such limited free time to work on my planes I'm not going to worry too much. prefer to build and paint instead of take pictures.

Maybe this one shows more.

_DSC3608.jpg

Kevin

Edited by bikerider

Kevin,

Yep, in that picture they're nearly I identical.

Since you painted both models with MM acrylics, I've never been able to come to terms with that brand. What did you thin them with, and clean up your air brush with? I've also had issues with the paint pulling up, so I'm still mixing my own colors using Tamiya acrylic paints.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Kevin,

Yep, in that picture they're nearly I identical.

Since you painted both models with MM acrylics, I've never been able to come to terms with that brand. What did you thin them with, and clean up your air brush with? I've also had issues with the paint pulling up, so I'm still mixing my own colors using Tamiya acrylic paints.

Joel

As for painting, I prime with Tamiya grey, the with the MM Acryl, I usually just spray it from the jar using about 30psi, trying to go in several thin, misty layers. If I do thin I use only 90% isopropyl alcohol that you can buy at the pharmacy. This technique is based on what the guy at my local hobby store told me. I had a lot of trouble when i started spraying with MM, but after his advice things are going good. I do prefer Tamiya paints as I find they spray really nicely, but when it comes to matching FS colours I've had mixed results (pardon the pun) getting the FS colour using them.

As for painting, I prime with Tamiya grey, the with the MM Acryl, I usually just spray it from the jar using about 30psi, trying to go in several thin, misty layers. If I do thin I use only 90% isopropyl alcohol that you can buy at the pharmacy. This technique is based on what the guy at my local hobby store told me. I had a lot of trouble when i started spraying with MM, but after his advice things are going good. I do prefer Tamiya paints as I find they spray really nicely, but when it comes to matching FS colours I've had mixed results (pardon the pun) getting the FS colour using them.

bikerider,

Thanks for the info. I've tested MM acrylics from time to time, but when I need to get close for detail painting, I'm using 12-16 psi max, and I really need to thin the paint out. MM acrylics thinned with water turn into water colors and just blotch out of the AB. I've tried Alcohol but I had clogging issues. I've yet to try MM's thinner, but I just may bite the bullet it give it a shot.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been away from ARC and model building for about 4 years (my last post in here was from Nov. 2011)... 50% lack of time, and 50% lack of room. Recently I decided that enough is enough, I'm moving stuff around my office, I'm making room, and come hell or high water I'm making time to do what I enjoy. While I do that, I came back to ARC and spend the last day or so browsing through the last 4 year's worth of content in this thread.

It's equal parts inspiring and discouraging. :lol:

Inspiring to see all the supremely cool aircraft that I want to buy/build as soon as I can.

Discouraging to see how ridiculously good so many modelers are... about 95% of the pictures on this thread are better than anything I've built to date, and the other 5% are maybe within reach if I apply myself. :scared0016:

That digital camo F-18 back on page 30 something... :jaw-dropping:

• 2 weeks later...

Phantom

As usual, all your builds are really eye catchers. Your rate of completion is still mind boggling to me. I always look forward to your builds of Canadian subjects. Your devotion is one of the reasons why I opted to model my PV-1 in Canadian markings.

Joel

Thanks Joel. In your honour after I finish the one Canadian I am currently working on, then the 8 Canadian commission builds I have to do........I'll do one from your country.

Thanks Joel. In your honour after I finish the one Canadian I am currently working on, then the 8 Canadian commission builds I have to do........I'll do one from your country.

Phantom,

I'm honored. Thank you.

Joel