2005 Oceana Airshow DVD Available

The Hart Aviation Video Enterprises DVD for the 2005 Oceana Airshow is available for ordering, instructions at the following link:

http://www.hartaviationvideo.com/estorecontent.asp?id=22

I have no affiliation with the company, but I have the 2004 Oceana DVD from Hart and it is a quality product. As most of you know, the 2005 Oceana show had the last public airshow Tomcat tactical demo (VF-101 F-14D...same as Brian's 1/48 decals).

Weather at the 2005 show was extremely hot and humid, so I am sure the environmental clarity will not be as good as in the 2004 version, but it should be a neat DVD to have nonetheless.

-Mike

• 3 weeks later...

I just received this DVD recently and all I can say is, "eff yeah!" :blink:

They apparently had the full cooperation of the US Navy in making this thing. Included are all the performances at the show, including the VF-32 fleet demos and the Blue Angels, but you also get at least 35+ minutes of straight Tomcat action from Friday, Saturday and Sunday. What I wasn't expecting (which makes this well worth the purchase, IMO) were the extensive interviews and commentary by the final demo crew (Rocco and Smokin') and the Oceana Airshow Coordinator (CDR "Corky" Erie). They talk about what it took to get the last F-14 demo set up, how they handled the routine and what they thought about the Tomcat and the Super Hornet. Really classy the way they handled it. The Saturday demo features ground-based video sequentially spliced with cockpit video/audio and running commentary about the demo routine by Rocco and Smokin'. Basically, every time the F-14 gets too far for ground-based cameras, they split to the cockpit video/audio. They then show the Sunday demo without running commentary, but with extensive ground-based video and even more cockpit video/audio. This is preceded and followed by taxi footage, the shutdown, final flight celebration and a bunch of Tomcat tribute stills set to music (the only weak spot...music is kinda slow and "smooth jazzy"). The end credits are uninterrupted F-14 cockpit video from the final routine set to jazz...about 5 mins worth, ending with the touchdown and deceleration.

This DVD is about 60% tomcat and 40% everything else (including Friday's practice)...pretty long. Seeing this show in person, I was worried that the haze would have been a factor in the DVD production, but video quality is outstanding (sound is overall pretty good, too) and the hazy conditions don't seem all that bad on film.

Overall, MUCH more than I expected and highly recommended for everyone but Gary ;)

-Mike

You've convinced me, I just placed my order!

I think you will be pleased. If you are used to F-14 footage paired with fast music, you will cringe at certain points, but the excellent footage easily outweighs the music choices.

-Mike

Edited by PBoilermaker

For those of you who are getting this DVD, make sure the volume is up when you watch the Sunday demo (starts off in the cockpit with the aircraft holding for takeoff). The external cut-away to the transition and vertical climb has some wicked F110-in-afterburner sound (probably the coolest sequence on the DVD).

-Mike