Scott Speicher...

Just finished reading through Wings of Fury by Robert Wilcox. Got me thinking...so I did some more research through some other books

...and came up still thinking this: how can this guy be missing in Iraq so long and no one has found his body (god forbid.. :D ), or heard of him?

also brings up the question of why the government claimed he was shot down by a SAM...when most people/books say he was realyl downed by an obselete Mig-25 :thumbsup:

now we get to modelling aspect of this whole story. according to my references, Speicher was flying an F-18C the night he was shot down. are there markings available for Speicher's jet in 1/32? i've got the old Repliscale sheet with Mongilo, Fox, and Speicher's jets on it, but thats way too special to use..

Edited by AnthonyWan
also brings up the question of why the government claimed he was shot down by a SAM...when most people/books say he was realyl downed by an obselete Mig-25 :thumbsup:

Because they originally thought he was shot down by a SAM; you know that whole "fog of war" thing. The Pentagon's official position now is that he was downed by a MiG-25. As far as the markings, you might want to try a search here on ARC; Scott Brown has done a lot of study on the markings and has posted on it in the past.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph

Yeah, as I understand it, as his flight was inbound to target they kept getting intermittent returns on a MiG-25 whose pilot REALLY appeared to know what he was doing. It's not well realized that radar is not the end-all supreme detector some believe it to be, even with an aircraft with as HUGE a return as the Foxbat. Seems like the pilot really was working every trick he knew and then some to get around the flight, and they never got clearance to fire because of the HUGE volume of Allied aircraft in the area...it was insane!!

I also recall reading that they did find a prison cell with some writing/graffiti believed to have been from him, dated only a few years before we (the US) returned to Iraq. Sounds like he'd been prisoner a long, long time...although I'd bet he was "disposed of" before the US returned.

I never knew that man nor any of his family, but his story will haunt some part of me forever, in some small way.

Well, the US military has access to the entire Iraq now-hasn't there been a single shred of new information since 2003? They (the Pentagon) should have investigated the matter in detail. I am curious to read what they have learned. (The "Free Spike" web site suggests that he was last seen alive in 2003!)