Ciao Guys,

Here is the start of my next entry, a Ka-15 which will be on floats. As Mandrake and I were discussing earlier, these Amodel kits run the gammet of being decent to down right crude. This kit falls in between, The fuselage has the right shape, with recessed panel lines. There are a bunch of circular vents around the engine compartment which I will need to spruce up with some mesh. The rotor and float mounts are crude so new parts will be made from brass rod. I also plan on using hollow copper tubing for exhaust pipes. Onward and upward.

The helicopter;

The sprues;

Now the rotor for my model. The PCLs were made from brass rod, as was the rotor mast. I need to clean things up a bit and add the blades.

Cheers,

Alby

Looking good so far Alby! Doesn't seem like too bad a kit, though some more detailed sprue shots would help, hint hint :thumbsup:

Very nice work on the rotor mast, though just to careful to ensure that the upper blade set is parrallel to the lower set.

Will be watching this build with alot of interest :)

Thanks for kind words guys.

Mandrake,

I already removed a good deal of parts for clean-up, so there isn't much of the sprues to take pics of. The nice thing about the plastic is if there is a wayward blade, it is soft enough to make adjustments.

Cheers,

Alby

Interesting subject, and nice work so far Alby! Good luck with the rest of the build - are you using the "Аэрофлот" markings?

Keith

Hi Keith,

Thanks. Yep, going to use the Aeroflot markings that came with it. The paint will the orange over white scheme. If you know of more marking/paint schemes for the -15M, I am always open to suggestions.

Cheers,

Alby

Edited by Alby Moore
Here's a good page with walkaround photos of the Ka-15 if you haven't seen it already:

http://walkarounds.airforce.ru/avia/rus/ka...ka-15/index.htm

Cheers,

Keith

*edit* - Oops, I see you've referenced it in another thread. My mistake. :thumbsup:

Keith,

LOL, thanks for the thought though, I appreciate it.

Cheers,

Alby

Small update;

Finished assembling the rotor, more or less. I'm debating on adding de-icing wires as the one I'm using for reference doesn't have them (I did see a build up over at the HKN Gallery with them though). Now that the rotor is done, time to mess with the interior.

Cheers,

Alby

Joe,

Hard to argue with that, but the reference I'm using looks to be a restored example, so it is hard to say (that's why I need to find some in-ops pics from the era they were used. Given the subject though, it has been tough). Thanks for the kind word on my progress.

BTW, you'll really like this; Yakolev Co-axial build. The builder did a fantastic job on his model.

Cheers,

Alby

Joe,

Hard to argue with that, but the reference I'm using looks to be a restored example, so it is hard to say (that's why I need to find some in-ops pics from the era they were used. Given the subject though, it has been tough). Thanks for the kind word on my progress.

BTW, you'll really like this; Yakolev Co-axial build. The builder did a fantastic job on his model.

Cheers,

Alby

Alby,

In that case disregard my statement, I assumed you meant you had reference on that specific aircraft!

Can you just confirm for me that this is the boxing you have please:

amo7277.jpg

amo7277_1.jpg

Will have alook around and see what i can find for you in terms of reference pics. Also do you have any decent pics showing the de-icing wires, not sure what I'm looking for!

Oh and you're quite right I did like that link, very impressive indeed :worship:

Very nice looking build! I see you opted out of Zvezda Ka-50Sh. Sorry, didnt mean to discourage you from that kit. Best of luck with this Kamov.

Z.S.

Hi Zmey,

Thanks! I only delayed the Ka-50Sh for now. It still has the parts to do a regular Ka-50 so that is what I'll build it as. Also have the Ka-52 to keep it company.

Very nice, Alby! Did you contruct a "jig" to keep both sets of blades aligned or did U use the "Mk 1 Eyeball"??

Thanks Lodni,

Nope, no jig. Just the ol Mk.1 eyeball as you put it.

Cheers,

Albert

• 3 months later...

Hi Joe,

I have to admit, I lost interest in the Ka-15 after I noticed that I FUBAR'ed the rotor by attaching the blades in the wrong direction. The plastic in these kits are so finicky that I can't break the blades off and reattach them in the right direction. So, it was cosigned to the box of despair (ie my f'ed-up kit storage bin).

Too bad really, as it was a neat subject.

Cheers,

Alby

Hi Joe,

I have to admit, I lost interest in the Ka-15 after I noticed that I FUBAR'ed the rotor by attaching the blades in the wrong direction. The plastic in these kits are so finicky that I can't break the blades off and reattach them in the right direction. So, it was cosigned to the box of despair (ie my f'ed-up kit storage bin).

Too bad really, as it was a neat subject.

Cheers,

Alby

Sorry to hear that Alby, would of indeed been a neat little model!

When you say you put the rotors on in the wrong direction do you mean it was a temporary oversight on your part or the kit//instructions had it wrong? Either way I don't think it would of been too noticable, there are a few kits that have this error built in already and it doesn't seem to stop people!

Hope it hasn't put you off building other contra-rotating co-axial Kamovs!

Joe,

It was an oversight on my part. The instructions had it right, I just didn't look carefully enough when I went to attach the blades. I'll give it a think over, but knowing that error is there takes the fun out of the build.

Cheers,

Alby