To many a ships crewmenbers; a COD coming aboard boat is more beautitiful than a Cat. Cat's carry the load out to the adversary, but the COD brings the load of mail and packages resulting in many more smiles ! It may not be as "beautiful" as a Cat: but it's a well greated bird once aboard the boat! Without the "beans, bombs and bullets, wars are not fought..

Don't berate the COD guys.. They're Santa Claus all year round...

ThudDriver

:angry:

Ugly?? The Raptor looks like fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch one the way down! But, if it has to be that shape to do its job with the radar cross-section of marble - then rock 'n roll.

I'll now check to see if my particples are dangling...

:angry:

Yes, in a way you are right. The Tomcat was the beauty queen, the Raptor being the ugly sister who you rode, but wore a bag over your head so you didn't scare yourself in the morning. :D But she was effective. (sorry, Waco, just had to)

Waco mutters "MOUTHY CIVVIE PUKE!" :lol:

So...participles are dangling, however one behind the other to ease drag. (you knew that was coming)...Aw damn...two puns in one sentence. The Grammar Nazi is going to shoot me. :lol:

Edited by The_Animal
LOL! We used to do a fair amount of work with EA-6Bs that came down to Eglin for Air Intercept training. The briefed ROE was always that you couldn't call a gun track on them until you got RATR/BATR on each of the four helmets.

:whistle: (sorry Kolja)

Fortunately I'm too hung over to take MUCH offense...

She's like that fantasy girl you have wet dreams about and to top it off, looks fabulous in anything she wears! <_<

Mental picture;

A twilight cat shot with an -A in Zone 5 AB! <_<

Top Gun just enhanced the Tomcat's rep that's all. And corny storyline notwithstanding, it still has the best flying sequences of any aviation flick ever! Flight of the Intruder looks so fake . Dun think any real A-6 can roll that fast!

For me it's mainly the colors it wore. F-8's and F-4's sure had plenty of neat schemes, but so many just seem to work best on the Tomcat, and are consistently good.

Painting Super Hornets in F-14 colors a lot of times just doesn't look as good---angle of the nose stripes, angle/shape of the tails, etc.

Plus there's no Sundowners Hornets. Best scheme ever doesn't exist on a Hornet.

I know what you mean there.

VF-111 and VF-84 do it for me.

I always think

COLOURFUL TOMCATS FOREVER

This is from "Wikipedia" and strips away the emotion and Hollywood drama. F-15 (104 kills, zero losses).

F-14 (9 kills, 4 or 5 losses). I know what I'd rather go into battle with...

As of 2005, the F-15 in all air forces has a combined kill record of 104 kills to zero (confirmed) losses in air combat (exluding the case of a Japanese F-15J that shot down another F-15J in 1995 due to an AIM-9 Sidewinder safety malfunction during air-to-air combat training with live weapons). To date, the air superiority version of the F-15 (F-15A/B/C/D models) has never been shot down by an enemy aircraft, although some F-15s have been claimed by surface-to-air missiles of the Syrian Air Force (however, most sources say that, to date, no F-15s have been shot down in air-to-air combat). Over half of the F-15's kills were made by Israeli Air Force pilots during the 1982 Lebanon War. The Israeli Air Force shotdown dozens of Syrian-piloted Russian MiG-21s (the reported figure varies from 80-92) and several MiG-25s. A substantial fraction of these MiGs were shot down by F-15s. Royal Saudi Air Force F-15 pilots shot down two F-4 Phantoms flown by the Iranian Air Force in a border skirmish in 1984, and shot down two Iraqi Mirage F1 during the Gulf War. Thirty-four aircraft kills were by USAF F-15Cs in the 1991 Gulf War, mostly by missile fire. After F-15s shot down all of the top Iraqi pilots in the first 3 days of the conflict, many of the later kills were reportedly of Iraqi aircraft fleeing, rather than actively trying to engage US planes. The single-seat F-15C was used for air superiority, and the F-15E was heavily used in air-to-ground attacks. An F-15E achieved an aerial kill of an Iraqi helicopter using a laser-guided bomb during the air war. The F-15E sustained two losses to ground fire in the Gulf War in 1991. One F-15E was lost in the 2003 Invasion of Iraq, likely due to crew error, but possibly ground fire. USAF F-15Cs also scored several Serbian MiG-29 kills during NATO's Operation Allied Force in 1999, again without the loss of an F-15C.

F-14s of the U. S. Navy have shot down five enemy aircraft for no losses. One has been lost to a surface-to-air missile. The combat record of the F-14 in IRIAF service is much debated, but the Western intelligence community estimates 4 kills against 4 or 5 losses. Recent books by Tom Cooper and Farzad Bishop claim nearly 150 kills, but this is dubious against the Western view and the official Iranian claim of 35 kills.

Edited by GEH737
Recent books by Tom Cooper and Farzad Bishop claim nearly 150 kills, but this is dubious against the Western view and the official Iranian claim of 35 kills.

Imagine that.

Regards,

Murph

As of 2005, the F-15 in all air forces has a combined kill record of 104 kills to zero (confirmed) losses in air combat (exluding the case of a Japanese F-15J that shot down another F-15J in 1995 due to an AIM-9 Sidewinder safety malfunction during air-to-air combat training with live weapons).

Yes, "safety malfunction"

- Live 'winder on the rail? Check.

- Master arm switch in "on" position? Check

- Buddy locked up? Check

- Pull trigger - hey, how come the missile launched?!?

:lol:

Pilot afterward "But I didn't turn master arm on!!!" To which the correct response would be "Perhaps not, but did you check it was off/safe when you got in the plane?" Never, ever assume a weapon is safe just because it is supposed to be and you didn't unsafe it. A fairly basic rule, one would think.

Yes, "safety malfunction"

- Live 'winder on the rail? Check.

- Master arm switch in "on" position? Check

- Buddy locked up? Check

- Pull trigger - hey, how come the missile launched?!?

<_<

Pilot afterward "But I didn't turn master arm on!!!" To which the correct response would be "Perhaps not, but did you check it was off/safe when you got in the plane?" Never, ever assume a weapon is safe just because it is supposed to be and you didn't unsafe it. A fairly basic rule, one would think.

{in Japanese} "Hey, Masao...I think I lost something."

"NANDA??????" {translation~ WHAT????) * BOOM!!!!!* "OH!!!!"

Hey, Lance, Our heritage was the guys who spent WWII crashing into boats, who said we were rational? :wacko:

Edited by The_Animal
That's historically been the single biggest cause of narrowly-avoided war. I call this the "80 Proof Peace Plan.

And, perhaps not coincidentally, narrowly-avoided war leaves more time for me to partake in my beloved self-destructive vices. I'm not a pacifist, I just dislike war because it gets in the way of my drinking, gambling, and throwing money at girls "working their way through college."

And, perhaps not coincidentally, narrowly-avoided war leaves more time for me to partake in my beloved self-destructive vices. I'm not a pacifist, I just dislike war because it gets in the way of my drinking, gambling, and throwing money at girls "working their way through college."

You mean "pole cats" ?

I think the Tomcat is "cool" But am impressed by the Eagle. I watched some deminstrations for the South Koreans flown by Boeing pilots in the E model that left me in aww. They walked her on her tail at almost a stand still then rocketed off it seemed into space. It could have almost been mistaken for an SU-37 with some of the acrobatics it was doing. The F-15 may look like a "skinny sister" but she will kick your ***. How do they stack up in air to air combat? I am sure there has ben many encounters in Red Flag etc. I haven't read any thing about that. If I were a fighter pilot I would rather fly an Eagle. But for pure sexyness you can't beat the C-130. That's a hot lady (just kidding...knida) that can also land on an aircraft carrier. and it has no need for a stupid hook or catipult.

Not just USAF pride here.

I think the Tomcat is "cool" But am impressed by the Eagle. I watched some deminstrations for the South Koreans flown by Boeing pilots in the E model that left me in aww. They walked her on her tail at almost a stand still then rocketed off it seemed into space. It could have almost been mistaken for an SU-37 with some of the acrobatics it was doing. The F-15 may look like a "skinny sister" but she will kick your ***. How do they stack up in air to air combat? I am sure there has ben many encounters in Red Flag etc. I haven't read any thing about that. If I were a fighter pilot I would rather fly an Eagle. But for pure sexyness you can't beat the C-130. That's a hot lady (just kidding...knida) that can also land on an aircraft carrier. and it has no need for a stupid hook or catipult.

Not just USAF pride here.

C-130...that's a Queen Latifah sort of hot lady. The "Queen" is a hottie, as far as plus-sized goes.