I think its that the AS sprays are acrylic based and the TS sprayed are either enamel or laquer based, either way I have had trouble when the TS spray has reacted with any enamel paint already brushed on the model, no such problems with the AS sprays.

Tamiya sprays are called a synthetic lacquer. The difference between TS and AS are only the colour choices. AS are aircraft specific colour matches like gull grey, or RAF dark green. While TS are primary colours like red, blue, black, and then close approximations to car and motorcycle colours.

Ron

I'm glad Lim asked the question - I've been wondering too about the AS/TS difference - I'd not heard the "Aircraft Spray" explanation before, but have seen the paint refered to as an "acrylic." Now I'm confused about "synthetic lacquer." Perhaps I've got this wrong, but I always thought "acrylic" meant that the paint was water-based or could be thinned with water. If AS/TS are the same, why would adecore get different results? The can of TS-14 I have in my hand says "Extremely flammable. Contains Acetone and Harmful Solvents." Is the same thing written on the AS can?

I'm looking at a can of Tamiya AS-12 Bare Metal Silver as I type this. . .

Doesn't say exactly what type of paint it is. . .but, after using it successfully on my Fujimi F-86 I can tell you it's most definitely NOT an acrylic. I'm no chemist, but it looks like a lot of the components of this paint (including propellant) are inconsistent with acylics (acetone, MIK, mineral spirits etc etc)

Use this stuff with EXTREME caution; wear a mask and gloves; do NOT inhale it or get it on your skin! Even catching the mildest whiff of this stuff made me feel light-headed and logey (granted, I am used to working with non-toxic acrylics). I would recommend getting yourself a good spray booth or ventilation system before using it (I took my work out to the garage, wore a mask and covered the painted model with a box while it dried).

FWIW

Cheers

Old Blind Dog

I believe the TS and AS sprays are "synthetic acrylic lacquer". Acrylic just means that a paint contains an acrylic resin, which is a thermoplastic. Usually, acrylic paints consist of pigment in an acrylic polymer base. These paints are the common waterbased paints like the Tamiya "jar" paints. Lacquers use a nitrocellulose base mixed with pigments and a thermoplastic polymer, which can be acrylic. Although acrylic lacquers do contain acrylic, there are really lacquers for solvent purposes.

What comes in the Tamiya AS and TS spray cans may technically contain acrylic, but they are nothing like the water based paints that Tamiya sells in their jars.

I'm glad Lim asked the question - I've been wondering too about the AS/TS difference - I'd not heard the "Aircraft Spray" explanation before, but have seen the paint refered to as an "acrylic." Now I'm confused about "synthetic lacquer." Perhaps I've got this wrong, but I always thought "acrylic" meant that the paint was water-based or could be thinned with water. If AS/TS are the same, why would adecore get different results? The can of TS-14 I have in my hand says "Extremely flammable. Contains Acetone and Harmful Solvents." Is the same thing written on the AS can?

In Canada were the cans must be relabelled in both French and English. The stickers on both cans are the same. Listing the same harmful toxins, and the same first aid procedure, and the same warning off flammability. So I thick they are pretty much the same type of paint.

from the tamiya website

These spray paints are specially developed for finishing aircraft models. Each color is formulated to provide the authentic tone to 1/32 and 1/48 scale model aircraft. now, the subtle shades can be easily obtained on your models by simple spraying. Each can contains 100ml of synthetic lacquer paint.

and for the TS series

These cans of spray paint are extremely useful for painting large surfaces. The paint is a synthetic lacquer that cures in a short period of time. Each can contains 100ml of paint, which is enough to fully cover 2 or 3, 1/24 scale sized car bodies. Tamiya spray paints are not affected by acrylic or enamel paints. Therefore, following the painting of the entire assembly, details can be added or picked out using enamel and/or acrylic paints. By combining three different paints, the decoration of plastic models will become simpler and more effective.

Ron

Edited by is it windy yet?

ok, i hold my hand up to my mistake, according to the tamiya catologue, both sprays are synthetic laquers, the AS sprays are 'specifically designed for finishing aircraft models' as for the adverse reaction i've had with the Ts spray over enamel but not with AS over enamel i have no idea, there must be some slight chemical difference.

In Canada were the cans must be relabelled in both French and English. The stickers on both cans are the same. Listing the same harmful toxins, and the same first aid procedure, and the same warning off flammability. So I thick they are pretty much the same type of paint.

Thanks, Ron. Makes sense to me. The fact that some basic colors made in TS (e.g. black) don't seem to be made in the AS series supports this as well. Now, if I could only get the enamel and lacquer definitions straight...

Barry