Didn't want to let this one out of the bag 'til I was confident of finishing. Hopefully I can put it to bed over this coming weekend.

Lovely little model this one - best fit yet of my four. First time spraying gloss yellow too, I was very pleased with how it went on and it should really compliment the Romanian crosses to come.

Something I learnt tonight is that Blu-tack leaves a light grey mark on dark paint (such as the green camouflage here) almost immediately. Fortunately I realised and used Tamiya tape instead. I guess it didn't show up on my Harrier as it was grey on grey.

Some pics...

undeneath...

PS does anyone know how to edit the title of a post? That spelling mistake really leaps out at me :o

Steve.

Steve

You cannot but I can... :thumbsup:

Mod power!! Mwhahahaha....

Nice build so far mate.

I must track one of these down for my stash.

With 10 days left to go and my Sabre is only just been primed. I hope to get it done!

:D

MikeJ

Cheers Mike, I feel less of a plonker now.

This was £0.99 purchase off of e-bay. Box almost destroyed, so no one else went for it and I got it at starting bid. Basically, took a chance and it payed off (fingers crossed for the decals :thumbsup: ).

Had a result at the weekend too, One of the club stands at the Hornchurch model show had a Dornier 28 hiding under the table for £2. Only the other day I was thinking 'haven't seen any of those on offer', so that was probably my find of the day. I built one about 25 years ago with wood glue which was great - build the kit, leave it a few hours and you've still got a kit to build again :worship: - hmmm, might try cement this time.

Should look great in grey/green with orange rudder/wingtips though. Also picked up a hunter and Buccaneer, which I've wanted for a while (Bucc's seem to go for silly money on e-bay, even started/incomplete ones).

Can't say how much I've enjoyed this GB - I'll be sorry to see it go.

Steve.

If it happens and yourself and Thommo need an 'assistant' to share the admin workload I'd be happy to step forward.

We might not get such a huge response a second time, but there should be enough of the '********' Matchbox fans to make it worthwhile.

PS just got the Future coat on, she's looking quite nice now; the upper surface colours look a lot better defined than in the pics. Decals tomorrow evening or Thursday.

Steve.

We might not get such a huge response a second time, but there should be enough of the '********' Matchbox fans to make it worthwhile.

The Do-18 gave me a hard time, and I don't want to heard about it any more, but my tempest II really gives me a great pleasure, and I'll be happy to be part of another Matchbox group build in the future, with another little kit, just for fun.

Your 109 looks really nice

Ok she's done.

Traditional list of disasters;

- Snapped a prop blade.

- Decals silvered like mad things and had to be rescued with the 'poke holes with a knife and flood with micro set' technique.

- My normally reliable Xtracrylix matt coat dried looking like I'd applied mottle camouflage! Lots of touch-ups on this one.

Enjoyable build though and lovely fit. This is another one I remember building (in these colours) as a kid.

That's all from me build wise, but I'll be checking in to see how everyone else is doing.

Steve.

Hi freiherr, thanks for your kind words.

About the tail, I think I know where you're coming from , I certainly wouldn't use it as a colour reference ;).

Basically what I was doing was matching it to the colour of the original Matchbox decals. The blue in particular is off as it was matched to the decals whilst still on their backing paper. Of course being quite thin, once applied to the dark green camo they darkened leaving the tail stripe looking too bright a shade.

So what you have here is a a botched attempt at matching to questionable thirty year old decals, not a very convincing situation. I'll just quote the usual excuse - repainted in the field using whatever was available.

Actually you're not the first to mention it - my girlfriend (of all people) took one look and said "isn't the tail the wrong colour?". She can do the research next time :worship:

Steve.

Just PM'ed Steve in regards to an Airfix/Heller GB this year. I am up for another Matchbox GB as well.

Might expand it to 1:48 and 1:32 with the same build criteria.

:cheers:

MikeJ

Damn - I think you just outdid my Helldiver is the bright colour stakes ! Great job - can't detect any of your disasters.

I agree Benny, these Matchbox kits do fit together well (much better than the old Airfix B25 I'm currently sweating over - gaps, sink holes, ejector pin marks - even on the inside of all the canopy bits ;) ).

Just PM'ed Steve in regards to an Airfix/Heller GB this year. I am up for another Matchbox GB as well.

Might expand it to 1:48 and 1:32 with the same build criteria.

:crying:

MikeJ

I'll be in all those GBs

Benny nice work and finish, great to see a 109 in different colours than the usual :D

:nanner: