Master Grade Gundam Kits

Hi all-

My long shelved love of Gundam is rearing it's head in a big wasy after seeing some great work and some fantastic websites. I'd like to get into the series, Master Grade. I have some questions. How big are the finished kits? I know they come pre-painted and snap together but a friend of mine goes all out and comes up with some amazing paint jobs, fills seams etc. Have any of you worked on these kit and what's your opinion? They are not cheap but I love the fact that I can play with color options- smaller dioramas etc. Any comments are welcome and thanks!

regards,

burner

I used to build them before i got back into building aircraft. Master grade kits are awesome.

They build up great and they come with shed loads of weapons. As for the size it depends on the kit you buy, they're all the same scale but some gundams are way bigger than others. For instance MG Kaempfer is about 8 inches tall minus weapons, whilst full armour ZZ gundam is massive and comes with some kind of gun that looks like it could destroy a planet!

And bandai have come out with certain kits labelled version 2 which are even better than the standard MG kits and have a much more poseable skeleton.

One last thing though, whilst they do build up nicely from the box, i would reccomend painting them as that'll add just that extra touch to make them look the part.

I just picked up my first HG kit of the Gundam Sniper. It deffinently has potential, but I have a few other things to build first.

Macross? Just about to paint a couple Valkyries for a friend.

He also has me doing a tank from Crusher Joe and a Blockhead from Dougram.

Master Grades rock. The RX-79(G) (very similar to your GM Sniper kit) is still to this day my favorite. It was a good build!

'bout the only Macross stuff I build these days is resin, but I'd love to get my hands of some of those tiny 1/144 Nichimo kits.

Thanks for all the insight and help fellas- I ordered my first kit on Friday. It's the MG Zeta Plus. I'm gonna build it in a pose and then create a dio for it. I'm stoked! Should be a nice change of pace from aircraft for a while. Thanks again for the comments! :(

Haven't been here for quite some time already and glad to see that Gundam kits are picking up..... :D

For the size of the Master Grade kits (aka MG), they are in the scale of 1/100 and typical height of the full-sized gundam, say the very first gundam RX-78-2, is 18m in height. So, 1/100 is 18cm (or 7.1 inch) in height. If you looking at the Nu-Gundam or Sazabi from the OVA Char's Counter Attack, they should measure about 22m to 23m or 22cm (8.7 inch)

Of course, as model kit manufacturing technology advances everyday, the quality and the playability of MG kits increase tremendously. The first MG can't even kneel or lift up its thigh into a 90 degree angle....

happy modelling! :lol:

• 2 months later...
Of course, as model kit manufacturing technology advances everyday, the quality and the playability of MG kits increase tremendously. The first MG can't even kneel or lift up its thigh into a 90 degree angle....

I'll say that! Except for the pink Gundam Seed Zaku, the others are MG... There are version 1 and 2.0 RX-178's there; you can really see the difference!

Gundam800.jpg