Why Does It Take 3 Cylons...

One of the overriding themes of the New BSG (which i like a lot, by the way) is the idea of "do the humans deserve to be saved?" The Cylons on the new BSG are children trying to surpass thier parents (the human race,) and when they disagree with their parents' of life, they fight. They're essentially rebelling against an abusive and self-destructive parent.

The Cylons of the original BSG novels were a bit different from the ones in the original series as they were indeed a lifeform with armor. I'll have to reread my copies, but in a sense they may have been something along the lines of a cybernetic lifeform, hence the ability to upgrade with two and later three brains for the IL series Cylons. It apparently took a lot of brain power for a Cylon to think like a human and as I recall Imperious Leader could do it because he had three brains. A Centurion could not though.

The idea of the Cylons being robots in the series I believe was due to the censorship issues at the time when it came to how many could be killed on screen. If the Cylons were "organic", then they might not have had the high body counts in the series. Turn them into machines, then you can blow the heck out of them and not worry about offending the network censors. Like Jay Leno says "Crunch all you want, we'll make more". It was a very different time in television back then.

As for new BSG, I like it. It is very different but IMHO it retains much of the original concept while at the same time taking it in a very different direction. Original BSG as a concept was good. But so many of the stories IMHO got myred in some rather dumb stuff and quite a few of the scripts were highly derivative of movie scripts ("Fire in Space" aka Towering Inferno on a ship, "Gun on Ice Planet Zero" aka a meshing of Dirty Dozen and Guns of Navarrone). That being said though, I do still like popping in my DVD copies and watching them every once in awhile.

They aren't light beam weapons. They're firing bolts of ionized plasma or tylium vapor or something like that. Therefore it's a projectile weapon and lead time / aim is an issue.

Ah. of course, I plum forgot..the old "ionized Plasma vapour cannon" issue! :woot.gif:

An observation: The Vipers have three engines, yet one crewman, and the Raiders have two engines and three crew.

The Cylons were obviously running a pretty basic attack profile..they used the same attack vectors constantly (A serious sign of low number crunching capacity) This, of course, allowed the Colonials to use the same defensive vectors as well. That's why we always saw the same shots over and over.

The odd thing I find about a lot of the complaints about the NBSG is the "sexual" content, and so far, not a one anywhere I've read about the violence. I mean, serious amounts of gunfire, blood and death. Not to mention nuclear armageddon and Number Six snapping the neck of a baby. Don't get me wrong..I LIKE the new series, I just find it "interesting" what about it that people don't seem to like.

A big plus for the new show...no Dagget!

Alvis 3.1

The odd thing I find about a lot of the complaints about the NBSG is the "sexual" content, and so far, not a one anywhere I've read about the violence.

Who was it again that said "it's OK to show bare breasts on screen, as long as you don't fondle 'em but put a chainsaw to 'em"...?

Cheers,

Andre

LOL!

ya know, one thing ive knowticed is:

the amount of firearms discharged over an entire serries of BSG seems to be roughly equal to the amount fired on an average SG1 episode!!!!!! :( :)

..ok i havent seen serries 2 yet, but i cant remember the marines ever letting rip...lots of gun pointing, not enough body bouncing :) :D

regards

Raymond (who loves both shows :D )

THREE'S COMPANY

MOAI VINCENT HAS SPOKEN.

So does that mean we've finally seen the "unrevealed" Cylon designs from the new BSG? I always knew there was no way Chrissy was that stupid...she must be running the old operating system.

So does that mean we've finally seen the "unrevealed" Cylon designs from the new BSG? I always knew there was no way Chrissy was that stupid...she must be running the old operating system.

CHRISSY WAS ACTUALLY VERY INTELLIGENT.

SHE HAD THREE BRAINS.

IT AMAZES MOAI VINCENT NOBODY HAS FIGURED OUT WHERE THE EXTRAS WERE STORED.

MOAI VINCENT HAS SPOKEN.

Probably been asked thousands of times before but...

In the original Battlestar Galactica series, why does it take three Cylons to fly a fighter, when it only takes one human to do the same job <_< ?

Any answer will do-a real one, a punchline :blink: ...anything. Get creative.

The real question is, why do these robots want planets with atmospheres that contain oxygen, which promotes rust!

Felinoid

f117pilotsecret3fx.jpg

I do like some things about the new show but the bad guys looking like humans is just wrong! I liked it much better when they were fighting the Toasters. Starbuck is a "Chick", Boomer is a .... whatever, the XO is a Drunk, Baltar is just a Geek getting a "Woodie" everytime someone turns on an electric appliance and the rest of the crew is a walking soap opera. GEEZE! :cheers: The only great (and believable) actor on there is Edward James Olmos - he acts like a Military Warship Commander would act and behave. He carries that show in my opinion.

BSG illustrates the difference between old TV and new;

Old TV is all imagination and no plot,

New TV is all plot and no imagination!

<S>!

From the BSG episode on the SciFi channel right now:

Sheba: "It takes three Cylons to fly this fighter."

Apollo: "I need you and Boomer to lead the squadrons. Besides, the third Cylon just sits where you are and gives orders."

So, looks like we've got a mission commander, a pilot and a WSO or navigator.

Monogram Vipers tend to command a pretty penny these days due to their popularity. Ebay is about the only way to find them on a regular basis. Federation Models occasionally gets them, but wants a lot for them.

As for Viper Mk 2 kits, resin ones are available in 1/24 (i.e. "studio model" scale), 1/48 and 1/72. The 1/72 kits can be found at Starship Modeler and are pretty good quality for the price IMHO. A studio scale Viper Mk 7 is also in the works.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Why do Cylons need three pilots?

It was a car-sharing scheme - the Cylon regime was actually very environmentally aware. Besides, they built the ships with three seats.

The crew shoulda been two, male and female, but you know, you always had some spare part who wanted to go for the ride, cramp your style...

The crew of three is simple - one to fly, one to navigate and one to choose which 8-track cartridge to play.

The Cylon ships operate Windows, and it took three to figure out how to work it - the Colonials had Mac OS, hence only one person needed.

The guy in the back was the one who said "in a moment I will ask you to make an emergency stop".

The third guy was just a hitch hiker.

Etc etc...

Actually one of (well one of MANY of) the great things about the new series is that Cylon ships only have one pilot - the ship!