12-04-06

The ting that looks really interesting in the trailer is the quick snap-shot of the Cyber-men!!

After the return of the Daleks ( absolutely brilliantly played), this will be fantastic.

Still not sure of the new guy, but hopefully.......

Liam

Is this the same Dr. Who that is playing on Sci Fi channel here in the colonies??

The same, but they have a new Doctor for Season 2 over across the pond....figures..I like the guy we're watching now here in the States

17-04-06

Near as I can tell, this guy is the 10 th Doctor. Cristopher Eccelston was the 9th Doctor and he kick-started the this Dr.Who revivial along with Billie Piper as Rose.

Chris didn't want ot be type cast and he left at the end of the season one when he was seriously injured by .... but that would be telling.

The new guy comes on board and his first "real" adventure is the Christmas Invasion, shown at Christmas '05 here in Europe.

The new, 2nd season started on Saturday and yes, Rose is with him, but talk is she'll be leaving at some point, but not sure if this is true.

The Cybermen will be in this season and a character from Tom Bakers will make a return ( or at least, the actress will) and again, rumours abound that K9 will show up at some point.

There is also a spin-off show coming along called "Torchwood" which promises to be a darker take on the Dr.Who universe and will feature the Capt. Jack character.

All in all, sounds promising and thank God!! they are putting the money into the special effects.

BBC4 or BBC3 ran a Dr.Who retrospective just prior to the new season. They showed some of the John Pertwee Dr.Who's, always my personal favourite, but my Lord they look cheap....really, really cheap. Good to see The Brigadeer again, and Jo and Sgt. Benson.

Liam

• 2 weeks later...

Without any spoilers for those who've not caught it yet, here are my thoughts on season two so far...

I just caught up with the first two episodes of season two after my holiday. Both lived up to my expectations and the quality seems to have been preserved from season one. Tenant gives the Doctor a new face, but approaches the role in the same general style as the (frankly) magnificent Ecclestone. The show is still fun and contemporary, but with the 'edge' that made it so good in Season one. Billie Piper continues to impress and appears to be having a ball. Tenant has a way to go but has bounced back after what I thought was a worrying Christmas special. For me Ecclestone is my new favorite Doctor (sorry Tom, but you had a good innings), I saw the last two episodes of Season one again the other day and that "I'm coming to get you, Rose" speech sent shivers down the spine again - great stuff.

I like the continuity being retained from one season to the next and the links and homages to the original series. This really is the way to do a re-make, and you may have guessed I'm a fan. Looking forward to the Cybermen (though if the shots I saw were the real thing, then they looked a little dubious?) who I always thought were scarier than the Daleks, and K9, who I almost trod on at the Milton Keynes show last year.

Come Saturday night, my house will be the one blasting out that pumped up sound track at volume!

Steve.

PS 'Torchwood' idea sounds interesting, especially if they start from the beginning in a kind of HG wells style.

If you rearrange the letters in Doctor Who you get.... Torchwood!

If you saw the last series and the last broadcast episode you'll realise they've been building up to Torchwood and its establishment for some time now. There's hints of it in at least 3 episodes.

Apparently the makers used Torchwood as the cover name for the Dr Who project and it was so successful (or the delivery bikers didn't care!) they chose to use it as the name of the spin-off series.

I also petted K-9 at Milton Keynes! He was the star of the show! :P

Nick B)

Heck with just petting K-9, I got to hang out with his owner on two different occasions and on that first time, he was taking K-9 though a test romp around the driveway. I was tempted to ask for a chance to drive, but I didn't want to risk paying the repair bill if I broke it. I never would have lived it down. Well, maybe "owner" isn't the proper term as technically the BBC still owns it. But Mat Irvine I guess would be considered its "keeper" if the Doctor is its "Master". The beauty of Mat though is that he is gentleman and a model hobbyist like us. The collection of plastic he keeps at his flat would put all of our collections to SHAME as he collects cars kits, plane kits and science fiction kits (along with real space subjects)! He also builds faster then most of us, probably due to his BBC Effects shop experience.

If you rearrange the letters in Doctor Who you get.... Torchwood!

That had never occured to me (though it did sound vaguely familiar when mentioned on the show).

I must concentrate more! Though with all this talk of Konnie Huq and 'petting' it's getting quite difficult.

Steve.