"The Debden Kidd" (oil study)

:thumbsup:

I had to wait a few days for the paint to dry before I applied the last layer of "dust" being kicked up from the wheels. It's "only" the oil study, but as with all studies it's mainly a testbed for "ideas", and of course I took it to the limit ... the only thing missing are the minute details which will be fun to add on the larger, final canvas.

While I was waiting to apply that last layer of 'dust', and since I'm pretty much on autopilot for the final 20 x 48 "The Debden Kidd", I got pretty far in preliminary work for my next piece, a 24" x 32" oil showing three "Twin Dragons" (459 FS) P-38Js playing in the morning clouds. Tentative title: Enter the Dragons. I"ll show the first pencil sketch here soon.

Wade

"The Debden Kidd"

(oil study)

10 x 24

The_Debden_Kidd_oilstudy_final_0411.jpg

OOps! Hit the enter button (how does that happen?).

As a long-time flight instructor myself, I wondered the same thing when I was planning the piece, but every takeoff shot I have of Debden (and I have a lot - much unpublished) show 0 degrees flaps tanks or no tanks.

By contrast, the 357 FG at Leiston (as shown by pics) seem to always have a crack (10 degrees) of flaps for takeoff. Different runway lengths and/or SOP at that station.

Wade

The dust (or maybe English morning dew?) being kicked up by the tires is the perfect effect to get rid of the "static" appearance the piece was in danger of - and much more effective than a foreground blur would be. I stand in awe.

The dust (or maybe English morning dew?) being kicked up by the tires is the perfect effect to get rid of the "static" appearance the piece was in danger of - and much more effective than a foreground blur would be. I stand in awe.

Thanks - I've always thought "foreground blur" looks cheap and amateurish, with one exception: Bill Phillips' Navy Sundowners F-4 at low level ... I've never seen it done 'well' (IMHO) anywhere else, even among Phillips' other work. Glad I'm not opinionated!

This one of mine was my first attempt at anything like this, so I needed a lot of help - got same (including the "dust" advice - really an offhand comment which I loved and 'ran' with) on eHangar.com, a great place for av artists to hang out.

My next one won't show a square inch of ground! Clouds, CLOUDS, CLOUDS EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!! Haa haha hah ahha hahahahahahah! :worship:

Wade

The dust (or maybe English morning dew?) . . .

Hmm. I like that ... I might call it that instead! heh heh. I went "light" on the 'dew/dust' figuring that the sunlight would make it 'glow' like that. Overall, I'm very pleased with the piece. I will wait to see how the final work comes out before I 'advertise' possible print sales.

Thx,

Wade

Edited by Chicoartist
...on eHangar.com, a great place for av artists to hang out.

Yup, been there a few times to look around. One of these days I'll get ahold of some of my old pics and gett off my duff to create some new ones, and post some examples here (and maybe there). I'm not in the same class as you or Col (to name a couple...), but I have the occasional good day.