Question for fighter pilots

Depends on your plane, on the missile, and where precisely you are relative to where it was launched. Much more specific than that gets into realms that most folks are a bit reluctant to talk about in this setting...

Pray to God it's not that SAM-from-hell from Behind Enemy Lines.

Other than that, there are a few maneuvering options depending on the situation.

But if you're Owen Wilson, (or his back seater) you're screwed.

-Mike bag o'Donuts

Other than that, there are a few maneuvering options depending on the situation.

But if you're Owen Wilson, (or his back seater) you're screwed.

-Mike bag o'Donuts

Owen Wilson was the WSO in that movie. His Aviator friend was the one who got shot. Yeah yeah...I got the movie...so shoot me. And yeah. that was the SAM from hell.

Or thank God that, having not seen said abomination in its entirety, you have no frame of reference.

Oops, er, sorry Animal...

Edited by Karl Sander
Or thank God that, having not seen said abomination in its entirety, you have no frame of reference.

Oops, er, sorry Animal...

I'll let you young flying guys deal with the missiles and stuff. I prefer keeping my posterior in one piece. I've grown rather fond of staying safe. :rolleyes:

As pointed out by Karl, it has alot to do with position, vectors, and importantly... energy. Most missiles can put on considerably more G's than a fighter aircraft when they have most of their energy. The same missile at its outer range is a lot less capable. If you are in the heart of a good missile, then get ready to pull the ejection handle (not taking into consideration EW, chaff, or flares). If you pushing the range of the missile, then you have manuever options.

Rodney

As pointed out by Karl, it has alot to do with position, vectors, and importantly... energy. Most missiles can put on considerably more G's than a fighter aircraft when they have most of their energy. The same missile at its outer range is a lot less capable. If you are in the heart of a good missile, then get ready to pull the ejection handle (not taking into consideration EW, chaff, or flares). If you pushing the range of the missile, then you have manuever options.

Rodney

There's also warhead radius and guidance method. Some missiles are easier to defeat than others.

I take it most of replies are from folks who have not had a SAM fired at them. First off, you don't eject because a SAM is heading your way. SAM evasion at night is tough because it is hard to discern it's position relative to you. Without getting into TTPs that aren't in open press and sticking to tried and true accepted maneuvers dating to first exposure to SA-2 in Viet Nam, here's a few tactics that have been in open press for awhile:

Need good energy on aircraft (above corner velocity)

Need good RHAW with decent accuracy (DOA)

Need plenty of altitude (hopefully not at night)

Need decent ECM/DECM/Expendables

If you have faith in ECM/DECM, you maintain formation, if not, you put SAM on 3 or 9 line and discern via vertical maneuver if it is tracking you. If so (again, at night, this is REALLY hard), and even though SAMs can pull more Gs than an aircraft, it is going much faster so its turn radius is larger, you need to give it a 3D maneuvering problem before it gets too close. Try it too soon and SAM adjusts easily, too late and it can fuze as it passes.

Speaking of evading missiles, how effective is notching really? Does it really fool Doppler Pulse radar, or is it one of those "aww what the hell might as well try it" kind of moves?

Depends on size of doppler notch of radar you are trying to elude...radars are really getting good these days...it was effective against earlier generation radars..that's about all that can be said in a forum