Having a couple issues with my 1st entry the FM H-21 & thought I'd start another one.

Please see the thread http://www.arcforums.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=81455 in the Helicopter Forum, for background and my photos of the original 'copter from 1971-72. That got me interested in a kit of it and found the Anigrand 1/72 resin kit, so I thought I would build it ...

Here are the requisite raw kit photos ...

S67_Box_7314.jpg

S67_Instr_7315.jpg

S67_Parts1_7319.jpg

S67_Parts2_7323.jpg

Only discrepancy I see is the kit decals do not include the N-number under the fuselage as shown in my photos. I emailed Anigrand to see if they might put out a new decal sheet & reward me with the 1st one, but haven't heard from them ...

Panel lines are really deep, fair amount of crud on the parts, but nothing fatal. Right now I'm trying to figure out if I have to build the cockpit before I put the fuselage halves together -- I'd rather put the two halves together & clean 'em up and then slide the cockpit in -- would be lots less dust & crud in the cockpit that way ...

Anyway, a nostalgia build ....

John

Edited by jRatz

No pix, just a quick update.

I've been doing some cleaning of parts, filling of airholes, etc, etc.

Cockpit is really sparse so I picked up the Part PE for an Apache & will see what I can do with (to) it. Probably should have looked for an AH-1 because the Apache is so wide, but it's just eye-candy ...

I don't suppose anyone has an interior shot or two of this bird ??

John

An update.

I've been cleaning little parts, etc. As noted earlier, I got the Part Apache PE set to add some details.

I shaved/sanded down the cockpit walls to make them visibly thinner (ie, less like a tank) and to make a bit more room for goodies in the cockpit. I'll use the kit floor board as a base.

10_s67_FuselageWork_7532.jpg

I glued the two fuselage halves together. I focused on getting the top aligned & you can see the result on the bottom, which I'll have to fix. The problem I see is that I'll have to go quite a bit of shaping/trimming to ensure the two sponsons/stubwings look right from dead-on.

10_s67_FuselageWork_7535.jpg

John

Edited by jRatz
  • 3 weeks later...

Great, we're back !!!

A while back (last post) I glued the fuselage halves & found major mismatch issue underneath.

Pix below show mostly done filling & sanding to clean that up. I've also thinned the cockpit walls to make more room for details.

11_s67_PuttiedUp_7577.jpg

11_s67_PuttiedUp_7581.jpg

I'm actually further along -- I attached the two "wings" and puttied up the mismatches and am ready to sand all that into shape. Oh, yes, there is a lot more putty underwing since I discovered a contour mismatch ....

One thing I am finding is that parts aren't symmetrical -- the fuselage halves aren't in profile or cross-section, the horizontal stabs are different thickness, etc -- this is burning up more time than I first expected ...

But, I'm still at it ...

John

PS: Did I say, good to be back ???

Edited by jRatz

Starting to look like an S67 now ...

I've got the two wings on & have made my first pass at filling, fixing, etc ...

12_s67_WingWork_7679.jpg

12_s67_WingWork_7681.jpg

Ought to have this section done in next day or so & then will start on the tail section ....

John

Edited by jRatz
  • 2 weeks later...

OK, another progress report.

All the flying surfaces are on.

I've done what I can to fill, sand, shape, etc.

The panel trenches have been filled.

The only problem I've caused, that I'm aware of, is that I didn't watch myself and oversanded the engine intakes -- you might see the little bits out the I have to fix up ...

13_s67_BodyWork_7721.jpg

13_s67_BodyWork_7726.jpg

13_s67_BodyWork_7727.jpg

I'll try a coat of OD on the fuselage just to see whatr it looks like & fix from there. I've got to get to work on the cockpit and the rotors.

My own deadline for this is 30 days off & I think I'm behind ...

Got to pick up the pace !!!

It is looking like an S-67 now !!!

John

Edited by jRatz
  • 4 weeks later...

No pictures ...

I don't want to anyone to think my lack of posting means I quit, but I've had some time issues recently, the biggest being replacing all the waterlines in our house, which of course entails plumbing, drywalling, painting, resheathing, and lots of good old cleanup & detail work to fix the little nicks & things ... Wifey is of course watching ...

Anyway, my fill & rescribe didn't go the way I wanted -- half due to my low skill level, the other half due to the distractions ... I have to work on that again ...

And now that I'm really behind, I've got to get on the blades & the interior ...

Hopefully I can get back to work next week ...

John

John

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I guess this is my official "I didn't get it done" notice.

Reasons: poor time management, house repairs (see post above), and a couple priority projects (IPMS reviews & our club show) that prevented me from getting back on track ...

Really did enjoy the build & the help/advice I got -- great job running it !!!!

I will finish this thing after the Nats & post to the Helo forum ...

Again, great build, I wish I had been able to complete it ...

John

Edited by jRatz