A-12 Avenger II Paint Scheme

Gents:

I'm finally getting around to building Anigrand's 1/72 scale A-12 Avenger II. All artwork I've seen shows the plane with a F-18 like (boring if you ask me) TPS paint scheme. Since it's a total"what if" subject seeing the aircraft never flew does anyone have suggestions on painting the plane other than dark ghost grey over light ghost grey?

Here's a link to a line drawing of the aircraft.

http://www.habu2.net/a12/a12_k01.htm

Mark

Darned good question. I suppose you could adapt the THREE tone TPS complete with the Tomcat's skunk stripe originating from the nose point, but I suspect you want more.

I'd be shocked if someone didn't suggest an NSAWC-style splinter, but I'm not sure I like that...too many thousands of little angles any which way for my tastes. How about more of a late ferris splinter, with generally straight lines but sprayed with a fog line, like on VF-201's F-4S's (or was it 301, I'm talking off the top of my head)? Progressing dark to light from nose to tail? Someone here has the profiles for that....

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

Andrew D.

Great idea! I thought of the skunk stripe as well only more like the original TPS scheme of the Prowler/Intruder. Dark leading edges light mid wing and light trailing edges.

The Ferris scheme would be interesting!

Gents, any other ideas?

Mark

How about an overall orange color with a misting of chili cheese color and then you have your "Flying Dorito Chip" ???

All kidding aside, how about something in a desert camo scheme like some of the F/A-18 adversary jets wear ?

I would mark it up in a A-6 squadron though ...

Gregg

Edited by GreyGhost

- What about a Raptor-style scheme, but in Navy markings? You've got some experience with this. :D

- Had the A-12 gone forward, the Air Force could have been a likely customer (in exchange for the NATF (F-22N?!?)) and we've never seen A-12s in Air Force colors

f16a_egypt1_2.jpg

a7dwrap3.jpg

f15e_91.jpg

f15mod.jpg

- The F-4 diagram was of a Heater-Ferris scheme. The original Ferris schemes were three-color schemes with totally different patterns:

f14ferris1.jpg

f14ferris2.jpg

f15ferris1.jpg

f15ferris2.jpg

f15ferris3.jpg

- Or how about RAF markings?

t_gr1_99.jpg