Monogram Galactica

Hi

Picked up the Galactica cheap( 25.00 Cdn) from a vintage toy store and would like to know if there is any upgrade parts similar to the Star Trek stuff thats out there.Big fan of the new BSG and thought I would try and build the original.Thanks

Millenium Models make an update set for the original Galactica.

I am not sure if it is still available now but try Starship Modeller website for product links.

:banana:

MikeJ

Yeah, I see the upgrade set fairly often on Ebay. I just wish they had something to correct the shape of the front end...maybe I'm wrong, but the whole thing forward of the launch bays just looks so blunt and misshapen, totally lacking the majesty and grace of the "real" one.

Probably the main reason I haven't built mine.

Yep, all of you are right. Millenium Models has a front-end upgrade, and SMT has some sidewall detail sets....I seem to have every detail set for the Galactica and the Viper...but no Galactica or Viper kits :D

Hey Ryan, any chance they have another one? :D

Edited by AnthonyWan

I'm always checking flea markets, vintage toy stoes and "bent-box" kits at hobby shops. Just two weeks ago I found an R/M Viper in a crunched box, missing the canopy, picked it up for $8.00, beats $40 plus on ebay and I got to use the aftermarket resin cockpit with vacu-formeed canopy. Not too bad. Found a Dinky die-cast Eagle from Space:1999 in it's original packaging, in very good shape, at a flea market fot $10.00 a year ago, I've seen it go on e-bay for $100. Keep checking those places, also drug stores, toy outlets in malls, and tag sales.

25.00 for a Galactica is a GREAT score, congrats! Not knowing any better I once exchanged mine plus a few other kits for an Academy 1/32 F-18 at my LHS. Still, I got the Hornet for nothing so no complaints!

I'm always checking flea markets, vintage toy stoes and "bent-box" kits at hobby shops. Just two weeks ago I found an R/M Viper in a crunched box, missing the canopy, picked it up for $8.00, beats $40 plus on ebay and I got to use the aftermarket resin cockpit with vacu-formeed canopy. Not too bad. Found a Dinky die-cast Eagle from Space:1999 in it's original packaging, in very good shape, at a flea market fot $10.00 a year ago, I've seen it go on e-bay for $100. Keep checking those places, also drug stores, toy outlets in malls, and tag sales.

AND to top it all off, Rich gets me the much sought after Viper upgrade set :cheers:

Bloody beaut one that :)

I got the Galactica, Viper and Cylon Raider when they were re-released about 10 years back. Grand total was AU$60 at the time.

I wish I kept my Eagle :(

:cheers:

MikeJ

Detailing wise, the Galactica kit is a bit wacko in the profile department. From top and bottom, the shapes look right. But from the side, the nose sits down too low and the rear engine deck doesn't rise up quite high enough. I'm not sure what the MMI correction set does honestly as I've never seen one. The SMT side panels are nice items to get, but I believe they are OOP since SMT at last check was ending its resin kit production. The SMT set is an improved version of a set originally released by Sub Level 3 Heavy Industries (used with permission). So you have two options to find the kit if you decide to look on eBay for them.

As for other aftermarket bits, JT Graphics makes an aftermarket decal set for the kit. It is essentially the decal sheet offered with the RM reissue from about 10 years ago, but it includes extra names and the Andy Probert landing bay artwork. You should be able to order it from Starship Modeler or Federation Models. A new stand would also be a nice idea, although the moon base can look good if you want to replace the original stand support with something that looks better.

For the Galactica kit I did about 15 years ago (done up as the Pegasus), I cut up some bits of styrene and made a crude landing bay with some painted flats for Vipers and a shuttle in the rear in case anyone decided to shine a light in there. It worked pretty effectively considering my skills at the time and not using a lighting system. The kit box stock can look pretty good with a nice coat of paint and some weathering. Short of the aftermarket bits, the one thing I would at least recommend is using some styrene to plug up the front landing bays since the original Galactica seemed to only have rear landing bays. This way, you can't see daylight from one end of the side pods to the other.

Guys,

Federation Models has that Galactica upgrade set by SMT in stock for $35USD.

Millennia models has produced some more stuff too, they were more into the Viper than they were into the fleet ships. Federation models also has some of their stuff as well.

Federation Models

The SMT Galactica bits

To find the Millennia Models stuff click on the Products button then select Millennia Models from the list and scroll to the bottom. To find the SMT stuff go to the model kits button and select Scale Model Technologies from the list.

HTH

:lol:

Emil

Edited by Elmo